when playing at low volumes, which is generally better to have higher, the master volume or the channel volume.

what i mean is which gives you the better tone at low volumes
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
You want to turn up the channel volume...that will give you preamp distortion. Then ride the master volume up as far as you can go to get the most power amp distortion. (It won't be much though since you want bedroom levels).

Amps will always sound best cranked so you can get powertube distortion...but thats as good as your gonna get at home.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I usually play with the channel volume on the highest and play with the master volume. Although, I found that the "sweet spot" of my amp starts at around 5 on the master volume. So I put it on that and then lower the channel volume until the volume is bearable. Sounds much better that way.
To make a long story short, find the perfect combination of channel/master volume to play at bedroom levels.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
excluding the combo of both, its pretty much high channel vol and find a good master vol then right?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Yeah when I practice at low volume I normally crank the channel and lower the master. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the amp cranked but for low volume I think it's the best. Try it both ways and see what you prefer. I just find if you lower the channel volume and crank the master you tend to amplify a weak signal and it doesn't sound great.
Quote by lanzaa
excluding the combo of both, its pretty much high channel vol and find a good master vol then right?

yeah. If your trying to play distorted at low volumes...you need to do whichever one turns your preamp tubes up. I'd assume this is the channel. Actually I'm sure of it. Then add the MV as far as you can.

Preamp tubes are what create initial distortion on a tube amp. Later when the MV is turned way up you'll start to hear the power tubes add distortion. Thats the best sound.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Depends on the amp. Most amps these days are preamp focused, so you want to crank the preamp (like mine for example, I run all the preamp volume knobs on 10, but then when practicing I have the master on next to nothing, and just moving the master knob the smallest posible increment will give a noticable volume change). Marshalls, for example, are poweramp focused amps, and you get the best tone by cranking the master (or preferrably, both, probably with an attenuator).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure