Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a tube head mainly for metal (both rhythm and lead), but that's also versatile enough to do everything from sparkly clean, through gritty blues, to classic crunch. I don't have a problem with buying second hand, and I guess my budget is around £1000-1200 (sterling).

I've done plenty of reading around, and from what I've read, and the soundclips I've heard, I find myself drawn towards the Framus Dragon and Cobra. Nowhere really seems to have a detailed comparison of their sounds though. Many places call the Cobra a "hot-rodded" version of the Dragon, but how much more extreme is it? (I plan on using a Keeley TS9 mod+ to give the dirty channel a slight boost, so is any extra gain really necessary?)

I guess I'm aiming for something I can tweak to find a sound of my own. The metal sound I hear in my head is chunky, tight and with plenty of note definition. I should probably add as well that I dig in to the strings pretty hard to get a heavy sound so extreme gain can be sacrificed in exchange for clarity.

As I say, I'm not trying to copy anyone's sound in particular, but I really like the tone Joel Stroezel has in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPOfqfCbEiY. I also really dig the guitar sound on the self-titled Strapping Young Lad album and Arch Enemy's Anthem's of Rebellion album.

Any advice from people who have tried these amps would be much appreciated and I'm still open to suggestions!
Cheers!
Killswitch Engage used the Dragon on The End Of Heartache, I think.

Unearth used the Cobra on The Oncoming Storm.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

They're pretty different amps? I thought they were quite similar? In any case the cobra is only another $75 (from what I've seen on eBay new anyway), and I'd think it'd be better... I have no experience with either though.
the cobra is a dragon with more gain.

that's about the only difference, besides name and cosmetics.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Actually it's the looks that are slightly putting me off the Cobra! Although the red inside light is very nice and evil Any Ideas as to whether the extra gain makes it slightly less versatile?
Listening to the clips on rocksolidamps.com it sounds like the Dragon has plenty of gain anyway. I need to find somewhere I can try them out!
What do u guys know of the cabs? Are they any good or is it worth getting a different brand?
cheers
the cobra cabs are REALLY nice. pm erock503
he has a cobra.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
The Cobra sounds great with the Cobra cab, the greenbacks suprised me. When I get my Cobra in a couple of months, I'm either getting the Cobra cab or a Vader.
In that price range I'd take a hard look at both Engl (either Fireball or Blackmore) and Deizel.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^ +1. Though diezel is well out of that pricerange, unfortunately- maybe the einstein isn't, but I'd doubt it.

Engl Blackmore, Powerball, Fireball, even the Savage or Invader if you can push the budget slightly.

I'd take a look at some Cornfords(probably over budget for any of the heads unfortunately), and Koch as well (multitone or powertone). Peavey even might be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I tried an Engl Powerball and a Laney VH100R the other day, they were very sweet but my main guitar is very bright, and the combination of that plus either amp was a bit too much. Obviously I could change that with my 10-band EQ, but I'd rather have a good amp tone to start with and use that for solo boosts only.
To whoever mentioned Cornford-I LOVE those amps (I borrowed a Harlequin for a while), and I'd heard people say that a Hellcat can do metal but never really took that claim too seriously... Is it really that good as a metal amp or is it more of a rock-amp-that-can-also-do-metal-if-needed?
I'd love to get a Diezel, but I think they might be a tad too expensive, despite the fact that I live in the UK and don't have to have it imported to the states or whatever. There don't seem to be any on ebay or anything (probably too good to sell!). But if I were to consider them, do you think it's better to go for the VH4 or the Einstein?
^ I haven't tried the einstein...

I'd say, yeah, a hellcat is a hard rock amp that can do metal, rather than a metal amp. Ditto the VH4, I'd say. They're both quite a bit less bright than the engls, too. The cornford has a woodier tone, while the VH4 is just darker-sounding.

I haven't been able to try them cranked, though, my guess is when cranked they'll do metal a lot better...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?