Page 1 of 3
What is the difference in tube amps? And since there is tube amps what others are
there? And why is tube so great?
it has a warmer more natural sound to it, and tubes distort a lot better than SS amps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Tube amps are REAL amps... and that's not just a figure of speech or something meant to downplay solid states. Solid states model tube amps. Tube amps were the first amps, and have cleaner, more natural sound. If you feel like dropping the $700 bomb for a decent one, you won't be disappointed, granted it fits your musical style.
Looking for my India/Django.
By: RED_WING suck
it has a warmer more natural sound to it, and tubes distort a lot better than SS amps

What is an SS amp?
Its a scientific thing with harmonics and your ears. A tube amp sounds more pleasing to the ears the louder you turn them up. They also sound better tonally in the first place.

Meanwhile a SS amp starts to sound displeasing and like hot trash if you turn it up above bedroom levels.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
tubes are louder, sound better and own you. that's why tubes.

edit: oh, and SS means solid state, which is the other kind of amp. they're quieter, don't sound as good and don't own you.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
tubes give the sound more "fluidity", cause more of brighter sound on the clean cahnnel, and a heavier sound on the distortion channel. a good tube amp is only as good with a good guitar, as a great guitar is on a shitty amp, where as that same guitar would sound like heaven in wood & metal with a good tube amp.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
SS = Solid State

Tube amplifiers can handle more wattage (it doesn't lose tone at higher volumes) and it just sounds...23423423 times better than a solid state amp..

That's why tube amps pwn...also, the tubes glow so that's +1.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
ss means solid state
My Gear:
Shecter C-1+
Hohener Acoustic
Sound Gear sg305dx Bass
Homemade 2x12 Cabinet loaded with Eminence
Texas Heat Speakers
Epi Valve Junior Head
and as soon as it ships
from Musiciansfriend a EH Metal Muff
Quote by redwing_suck
Tube amps are REAL amps... and that's not just a figure of speech or something meant to downplay solid states. Solid states model tube amps. Tube amps were the first amps, and have cleaner, more natural sound. If you feel like dropping the $700 bomb for a decent one, you won't be disappointed, granted it fits your musical style.

not all SS amps are modelers, actually the majority of them arent, and they are every bit as real as tube amps but they usually dont sound as good.

Last.fm
yeah but solid state cleans dont distort at high volumes.

their distortion is also harsher which is what some people prefer for metal.

and tubes amps can be unreliable, with tubes breaking and wearing out.

and if your a weed, solid states are lighter to carry around.

its a matter of opinion which is better, but both have their advantages over the other
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
not all SS amps are modelers, actually the majority of them arent, and they are every bit as real as tube amps but they usually dont sound as good.

He doesn't mean nec. modelling a certain amp...but all SS amps are trying to give you a sound that mimicks a tube amp.

They are electronic recreations of tube amps. And they sound like trash.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Forgot to mention this... an extention of what bonchie1 said:

Yes, tube amps sound much more pleasing for a reason. When you play a powerchord on a SS amp, essentially what happens to the sound is that the "halfway" point between the two notes in the powerchord, the root and the fifth, seems to be prevalent. What's "halfway" between a root and a fifth? The major third. Thus, powerchords sound fine on a SS. However, the same thing happens when you play a normal chord (root, third, fifth) on a SS---the sound that is outputted seems to be halfway between each of the notes. This results in something halfway between the root and third and between the third and fifth. Not necessarily pleasing. That's why playing full chords with lots of distortion on SS amps don't sound... erm, fantastic.

Tube amps don't do that. You get what you play. Which can be good and can be bad---you sure as hell hear a lot more mistakes on a tube amp's overdrive than when you're on a SS's distortion.
Looking for my India/Django.
You can get better distortion through a tube amp. The best ams are tube amps: Marshalls, Mesa's, THD, Splawn, Carvin, Laney
Tube amps are great if you have the money, and have a very good ear for tone. If you don't, you'll be fine with a solid state, until your ear develops. Although SS amps get a LOT of crap about shitty tone and grabage noise, they are a lot more durable; I do things with my SS Vox I'd never dare to do with my friends all-tube Carvin.
Virtually every pro musician in the world uses some type of tube amplifier.

That should tell you enough.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by thehardwayout
I,ve got a marshall MG10CD, is that tube or SS?

Its a piece of crap.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by thehardwayout
I,ve got a marshall MG10CD, is that tube or SS?

It's solid-state, not tube.
Quote by thehardwayout
LOL!!!!! Crap amps, huh? That would not sell well

Oh you'd be surprised.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
Its a piece of crap.

You have the jcm 800 combo? How's the single channal on that, worth it?

Also, to TS, tube amplifiers are quite heavy to carry...I'm still thinking if I shouldn't sell my SS amp so I could just practice and carry that to practice instead of bringing my Tube every time.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Valve amps do have that warmer tone that most guitarists look for, whereas solid state amps can sound more sterile and have poorer voicing. The gain with a tube amp is the best kind, where you allow the valves to be overdriven, rather than the solid state series of transistors to replicate this.

Valve amps are more versatile, you can quite easily affect the output by changing to different types of valves to suit your playing needs more, where as a solid state will only produce the sound it was meant to.

A cranked SS amp will have severe degradation in it's sound quality, where a valve amp is in it's sweet spot.
Well, a tube amp is only worth it if you ca really drive it. By that I mean, have the volume pretty much up to max, and the gain up to maximum headroom. (Most volume before cleans begin to distort)
Then you can overdrive the power amp, and that's where real tube tone comes from. Power amp distortion. (BTW, amps have to power sections, the preamp and the power amp.)
Quote by Jinskee

You have the jcm 800 combo? How's the single channal on that, worth it?

Also, to TS, tube amplifiers are quite heavy to carry...I'm still thinking if I shouldn't sell my SS amp so I could just practice and carry that to practice instead of bringing my Tube every time.

Its pretty sweet. Noisey as hell on the high input when you crank it so you gotta have a noise gate...but thats normal on any tube amp when you crank them.

I'm actually selling it. Gotta spring for something 2 channel. Need it for the live playing I do. Buying a Traynor YCV50 Blue (sounds ALOT like an 800) or a JCM800 4212 (the 2 channel version).
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by thehardwayout
LOL!!!!! Crap amps, huh? That would not sell well

They are actually a peice of crap, the only reason they sell is because of the real Marshall tube amps that earnt the reputation. Tone aside cause that is debatable (personally I've owned and MG and I can't stand the tone on that thing) the reliability of the MG's is also really really bad. Basically they are crap.

As for the SS/tube debate it is personal preference. I have a mate who is also the best guitarist I know personally but he's a full metal head. He only ever uses SS amps cause he loves the crisp tone they give. He also uses a tonne of pedals which is another reason he prefers the crisp clean of an SS, they're not crappy SS amps he has though. Me personally I prefer tube, I like the sound when they break up it sounds more 'natural' for lack of a better word. When an SS breaks up and they start clipping ewwwwww.
Quote by thehardwayout
What is the cheapest tube amp you have ever seen new?

I don't know, I don't look at cheap tube amps
^^Peavey valveking 112
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Quote by bonchie1
Its pretty sweet. Noisey as hell on the high input when you crank it so you gotta have a noise gate...but thats normal on any tube amp when you crank them.

I'm actually selling it. Gotta spring for something 2 channel. Need it for the live playing I do. Buying a Traynor YCV50 Blue (sounds ALOT like an 800) or a JCM800 4212 (the 2 channel version).

Mind If I PM you? I've been thinking about getting it...

Btw, you can't get good cleans off a 1 channaled amp...can you.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by anewhope
I don't know, I don't look at cheap tube amps

Very funny. I'm 13 i have no job, i'm in school, i get 3 bucks a week for an
allowance, and my parents wont let me use my own bank accout to buy stuff
so what do you ecpect? My patience is low to!!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, a tube amp is only worth it if you ca really drive it. By that I mean, have the volume pretty much up to max, and the gain up to maximum headroom. (Most volume before cleans begin to distort)
Then you can overdrive the power amp, and that's where real tube tone comes from. Power amp distortion. (BTW, amps have to power sections, the preamp and the power amp.)

actually tubes have better clean tone too, and all most all tube distortion is a mix between preamp and power and power amp distortion so really the tube tone comes from both equally.

Last.fm
Quote by thehardwayout
What is the cheapest tube amp you have ever seen new?

Epiphone Valve Junior. $99 of all tube power. A full 5 watts. Kills any SS on the market tonally and it can get plenty loud for what it is (a recording/practice amp).
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by thehardwayout

Your fine then. If your only 13 whatever. Just make sure by the time your 16-18 you have a job and have invested in a real amp
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by thehardwayout

Dude, tell me about it. I'm 23 years old, work two jobs and my girlfriend won't let me blow on a nice dual recto. It sucks dude!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
actually tubes have better clean tone too, and all most all tube distortion is a mix between preamp and power and power amp distortion so really the tube tone comes from both equally.

Eh, technically, yeah. But SS amps can't do hard driven Power Amp distortion. Power amp distortion is very different than Preamp, as well. That's why I pointed it out.
Quote by forsaknazrael

In modern high gain amps most all the distortion comes from the pre-amp. Mesa Rectos, Peavey 6505s, Marshall DSL/TSLs...etc.
Page 1 of 3