Whats a good starter guitar for 100-150$

I have a epiphone les paul jr... and I have found that I do not really like this guitar and i am going to return it... It doesnt sound extremly great, and the options for making it better as far as upgrades seem almost null.... So whats a good starter guitar within that price range... I just want something that doesnt sound like total crap.. I like to play songs via like three days grace and breaking benjamin...
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
I would suggest saving up your money, but if you *REALLY* need a guitar for that much, I'd probably go with a Dean Evo XM.

The Behringer iAXE393 is also a decent starter guitar because you don't need to waste money on a cheap practice amp that you won't want in a couple months since it plugs into your computer.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by Sturek
Whats a good starter guitar for 100-150$

I have a epiphone les paul jr... and I have found that I do not really like this guitar and i am going to return it... It doesnt sound extremly great, and the options for making it better as far as upgrades seem almost null.... So whats a good starter guitar within that price range... I just want something that doesnt sound like total crap.. I like to play songs via like three days grace and breaking benjamin...

I personally wouldnt get a guitar that cost below 150.00. I myself was a beginner and set my price range to only up to 300 for both the amp and the guitar. But I ended up spending almost $900.00, which is 3 times my price range. My suggestions are these tw guitars if you can afford it.....

Ibanez RG321 - CLICK ON ME!
or
Schecter Omen 6 - Really good Guitar! Despite of it being unknown

Edit: I personally would not recommend Single Coil Pickups over Humbuckers. Humbuckers really sound clearer than single coil pickups if you have the right amps.
I will also suggest the Switch Wild One Custom because it's a very sturdy guitar that can handle the abuse somebody new to guitars can give (not implying anything...) since it isn't made of wood.

It also has pretty good sustain since the neck and body are all one piece of material.

Having one pickup is kind of a downer, but I'm just giving you options .

This OLP John Petrucci Singature is on sale for $150 if you buy it in black, which will probably be your best bet considering it's a $350 guitar otherwise. It comes with straps, picks, and a semi-hard case also. If I were you I'd buy this one.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll

This OLP John Petrucci Singature is on sale for $150 if you buy it in black, which will probably be your best bet considering it's a $350 guitar otherwise. It comes with straps, picks, and a semi-hard case also. If I were you I'd buy this one.

Oh, ye I tested this guitar and dam its sick! It sounds great, great for starters. Though, it wasnt the sound I was looking for otherwise I would definitely have gotten it. I was thinking of getting it and giving it to my friend back in the Philippines since he plays the guitar and want something to give to him when I get back there on June 2007. But I might give him my Yamaha Guitar and get something, but I love this Yamaha though..... Ill find something, maybe that guitar! Thanks for letting me see that guitar again, I almost forgot about it. Its has great sound.
I think ill try for that one, it's at guitar center too oh yeah i think i found that... it will be that one or dean evo i think from what I see... THough I really like schecter... I am not abusive to my guitars btw :P I play bass guitar and I don't plan on becoming a serious guitarist I just wanted something that did not sound like ass so i could play a few songs I like on it. One of these two seem perfect for that.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
It probably sounds like ass because you're playing it through a bass amp, unless you've got a guitar amp hidden in your sig...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sturek
I think ill try for that one, it's at guitar center too oh yeah i think i found that... it will be that one or dean evo i think from what I see... THough I really like schecter... I am not abusive to my guitars btw :P I play bass guitar and I don't plan on becoming a serious guitarist I just wanted something that did not sound like ass so i could play a few songs I like on it. One of these two seem perfect for that.

You can never go with the Schecter. Its one of thoose unknown brands, not too famous but not really unknown, thats worth the money.
well if you had looked at my sig you will notice that nether my acoustic guitar nor my electric guitar are listed... So I would bet you ten dollars that I did not bother to list my guitar amp ether... :/ Much less my bass practice amp :P As I stated I am a bassist not a guitarist, I just have one to play a few songs I like and to learn a bit of guitar... After all its not uncommon of a practice for a guitarist to play a little bass and a bassist to play a little guitar :P
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
I didn't know you had an acoustic guitar....you and your secrets! I figured you hadn't listed the electric cos you didn't like it...

What guitar amp do you have then?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Its usually not the guitar that sounds like crap but the amp. Save a new amp instead of buying a new guitar unless the guitar you have now is unplayable.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Its usually not the guitar that sounds like crap but the amp. Save a new amp instead of buying a new guitar unless the guitar you have now is unplayable.

agreed, my guitar cost twice as much as my amp.

A lot of people usually have them 1:1 ratio but mine works perfect at 1:2 ratio. The Yamaha guitar I have feels like a $1000.00 guitar!
roland 15 wat amp... nothing big and like i said didn't want it big... the guitar is just very poor sound and the fact that it is not very upgradable.... that was my bigger problem with it... Was wanting to upgrade the pick up later and it had a very hard time staying in tone... that it was said the body was made out of very very bad wood.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
At that price range I'd recommend going around and seeing what your local places have for used gear. Find something that plays good, stays in tune, and seems to be built well (maybe do some research on the woods involved, etc) and buy that. Don't worry about the sound because if everything else is good it'll take well to new pickups.
If your happy with your amp, then I would advise you to look at a Squier 51.