So last year I did Atkin's for roughly 8 months, and lost 65 pounds... And it STILL amazes me that there is so many stupid people out there.

I've heard it all from,

"You're going to have a heart attack!! Zomg..."

to

"LOLOLOL YER GUNA GAIN IT ALL BAK LOOLOl"

I'm picking it up again to lose the remaining body fat I still have, which is about 25-35 pounds, and tone up. I'm tired as hell of people telling me that it's bad for me, especially when they know NOTHING about it. For ****'s sake, I did it for 8 ****ING MONTHS, I think I'd know more than someone who's never even considered doing it.

So, instead of this being a rant, I like to know your opinions on the Atkin's diet, or your opinions on any other popular diets.
didnt the guy who invented it fall on his head and die???
Quote by dogfennell
Whats a "liemthe guy?"
Um... Youve lost 90 percent of the water in your body, you realise that?
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
Quote by king_O_dudes
didnt the guy who invented it fall on his head and die???

Form what I've heard, yes. You'd be amazed at the amount of idiots that swear he died from a heart attack >.<...
Quote by justinp93

Uhhh?
Hey, how much exercise do you have to do for it? I know there's some diets where you have to exercise a crapload of hours to get rid of weight. I'm no stranger to exercise, but I was just wondering.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Life Lease
Form what I've heard, yes. You'd be amazed at the amount of idiots that swear he died from a heart attack >.<...

i heard from my aunt she was on and off with that diet
Quote by dogfennell
Whats a "liemthe guy?"
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Hey, how much exercise do you have to do for it? I know there's some diets where you have to exercise a crapload of hours to get rid of weight. I'm no stranger to exercise, but I was just wondering.

I'm not sure. It's more of a lifestyle thing, by cutting out like 95% of the sugars and carbs you intake, your body starts burning fat. When I did it originally, I just did what I normally did everyday, with some occasional exercise here and there.
If I remember correctly, the Atkins diet is rich in protein and very low in carbohydrates. So the energy you should gain from carbohydrates is instead taken from protein. You don't have to be a doctor to realise that's unhealthy. Your health > weight loss.

The long term effects of this might be far worse than a few extra pounds, so you should probably stop.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
^Basically, don't eat snacks as nearly as often as you normally do, do an active sport (like running or swimming), and you'll lose weight, tone up, and be physically fit.
I don't like my sig.
Quote by Mad Marius
If I remember correctly, the Atkins diet is rich in protein and very low in carbohydrates. So the energy you should gain from carbohydrates is instead taken from protein. You don't have to be a doctor to realise that's unhealthy. Your health > weight loss.

The long term effects of this might be far worse than a few extra pounds, so you should probably stop.

Well, that depends on how you do the diet. If you substitute all the breads that you would normally eat with meats, then yeah, that's unhealthy. What I did was in the morning I'd have an Atkin's morning bar thing, (which has all those nice vitamins and such), then had some peanuts with it. For lunch I'd have salad or an Atkin's shake. Then for dinner I'd have a regular dinner, just cutting out any carbs or sugar. So really, you're not increasing your protein intake by as much as it seems.

I did it for 8 months, and I've never felt healthier. My mile time before doing the diet was around 12:41 (Well, that was way before the diet. At this point, I walked most of the way >.<, and now I'm down to 7:40 ish.
Well, whatever works and doesn't kill you, I guess.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I'm a big meat fan, so I ended up putting myself on said diet (that is the one where you eat tons of meat right, or am I making an ass of myself again?) purely by accident and lost some weight. Problem was, I was already underweight and it was causing me some problems.

Well, I went to see some doctors as I just kept losing weight, and I was working out and stuff just to try and gain weight (I also tried eating a lot, ironically mostly meat because of my eating habbits, which didn't help any). I kept seeing different doctors until they figured out what the problem was. It was all quite embarassing actually, and I look pretty weird without a shirt due to me being underweight and doing tons of abs-exercises to buff up.

Anway, my point is that it works. So be careful. >.<
Quote by Renka
I'm a big meat fan, so I ended up putting myself on said diet (that is the one where you eat tons of meat right, or am I making an ass of myself again?) purely by accident and lost some weight. Problem was, I was already underweight and it was causing me some problems.

Well, I went to see some doctors as I just kept losing weight, and I was working out and stuff just to try and gain weight (I also tried eating a lot, ironically mostly meat because of my eating habbits, which didn't help any). I kept seeing different doctors until they figured out what the problem was. It was all quite embarassing actually, and I look pretty weird without a shirt due to me being underweight and doing tons of abs-exercises to buff up.

Anway, my point is that it works. So be careful. >.<

I went from really fat, to chubby. I wish I had abs... But I've got a lot of excess skin, so I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.
Quote by Life Lease
Uhhh?

Post me a typical day's meal of the Atkin's Diet and I'll explain for you.
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
never had to go on a diet, but if its a diet it should be healthy,right?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Well, be warned man. I used one of those rolling thingies with two handles on 'em, they sell them on those TV-shop like shows here in Sweden. Anyway, that thing, lots of walking (for no friggin reason, as it turned out) and the diet helped me lost those pouns I still wish I had.

I really understand people who wants to lose weight and all, and I really admire you guys as I understand it is a very hard thing to do, but being underweight has some problems too. And I'm not just talking about anorexia and that stuff, but just being underweight can result in ADHD-like symptoms and you get really tired but still have trouble going to sleep.

Good luck with the weight loss though man, I'm excited for you.
I think it's great that you have the willpower to do it if it makes you feel better, just make sure that your staying hydrated and getting some regular excercise and that sort of thing.
Quote by justinp93
Post me a typical day's meal of the Atkin's Diet and I'll explain for you.

I think I know what you're getting at, like the fact that an increased level of protein is bad on kidneys unless you drink enough water.

Anyway, as you requested:

Morning:

Eggs with some cheese, Or
Atkin's bar with some sort of cheese stick, Or
Atkin's Shake with peanuts,

With a bottle of water, since I try to drink a lot of water. It helps me from getting hungry too often, and a lot of other health benefits.

Lunch:

Salad, Or
Chicken dish, Or
Atkin's shake/atkin's bar if you didn't have one for breakfast (They're expensive.)

Really anything that's not sugary and full of carbs. Also, some more water.

Dinner:

Essentially the same as lunch, with some more water.

EDIT:

Oh and...

Quote by justinp93

That's impossible... I'd be dead -.-. My body would be like sand.
Last edited by Life Lease at Jan 5, 2007,
This is a good diet, but for sure, atheletes cannot live off of a high protien diet. Although good carbohydrates(not simple) give you lots of energy, a pure protien diet cannot support an active body.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by justinp93

What the hell are you talking about? He would be dead if that was the case. Geez, what is wrong with these ****ing retards these days?
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by preludetowar

What the hell are you talking about? He would be dead if that was the case. Geez, what is wrong with these ****ing retards these days?

I've seen a lot of poorly backed claims against Atkin's from ignorant kids at my high school. It seems every last one is dead-set against it, for some reason. They all think I'm going to have a heart attack.
Quote by Life Lease
I've seen a lot of poorly backed claims against Atkin's from ignorant kids at my high school. It seems every last one is dead-set against it, for some reason. They all think I'm going to have a heart attack.

Well that reason being, cause how that atkins diet works is your meals are mainly protien. And what a better than to plugging your arteries with some greasy chicken or cow???But what they don't understand is that you are eating good carbohydrates(complex) where the bad ones no one should be eating are the simple carbohydrates.(thats the stuff thats not too good for you)

Of course they would never know that
Quote by Meths

seeing that you basically take away all carbohydrates from your body, which carbohydrates = your energy, it is possibly the worst diet ever, its ok to cut back on carbs, but to completely cut them out is horrible for your body, makes you irritable, tired...and plus like someone posted you lose ALOT of water weight...but hell if it works for you, do it..i know a bunch of other stuff about that shit because my cousin is into bodybuilding and works at GNC.
Quote by Brandon860
hey man, any person with a Wayne's World avatar I have all the faith in the world in

Founder of the "Taco Bell > You" PM me to join.
Quote by Life Lease
So last year I did Atkin's for roughly 8 months, and lost 65 pounds... And it STILL amazes me that there is so many stupid people out there.

I've heard it all from,

"You're going to have a heart attack!! Zomg..."

to

"LOLOLOL YER GUNA GAIN IT ALL BAK LOOLOl"

I'm picking it up again to lose the remaining body fat I still have, which is about 25-35 pounds, and tone up. I'm tired as hell of people telling me that it's bad for me, especially when they know NOTHING about it. For ****'s sake, I did it for 8 ****ING MONTHS, I think I'd know more than someone who's never even considered doing it.

So, instead of this being a rant, I like to know your opinions on the Atkin's diet, or your opinions on any other popular diets.

it works for some people but your going to get them back sadly, south beach is better.
I've seen people go on the atkins diet and gain all the weight back after a year or two. Here's a suggestion. I've lost about 70lbs using this diet.
1. Stop drinking soda.
2. Eat 4 times a day. Small meals, lean, high in protien. Balance it with some carbs like rice.
3. Work out + jog 3-5 times a week. At least 1 hr weights or 30 min jogging.

You will lose a lot of weight,and keep it off. Plus, you'll have muscles to fill out that extra skin.
Yea, sure you'll lose weight. But when you're eating so much saturated fats etc, you're clogging your arteries.

Lose weight now, get a double bypass later. Of course you wont notice anything now. Just wait 30 years or so.

Up to you.

You could just....exercise? And eat a healthy, balanced diet.

Edit: The dude above me has it exactly right.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Last edited by Xinlitik at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by Renka

I really understand people who wants to lose weight and all, and I really admire you guys as I understand it is a very hard thing to do, but being underweight has some problems too. And I'm not just talking about anorexia and that stuff, but just being underweight can result in ADHD-like symptoms and you get really tired but still have trouble going to sleep..

*explains alot*

Quote by *Juno*
*explains alot*

Wait really?

I'm pretty light for my height (145 lbs 6'0) especially since I lift regularly, and I do have (I guess) ADHDish symptoms (I can concentrate fine but I really like to be doing something, cant stand doing nothing) and I always take at least 10 minutes to fall asleep.

Quote by Xinlitik
Wait really?

I'm pretty light for my height (145 lbs 6'0) especially since I lift regularly, and I do have (I guess) ADHDish symptoms (I can concentrate fine but I really like to be doing something, cant stand doing nothing) and I always take at least 10 minutes to fall asleep.

Dude, ten minutes!? I usually take an hour or two, and I am on sleeping medication!
Well I'm 16 and I have a BMI of 20, which is basically supposed to be well within what's healthy, I've stayed at about 134 pounds for a year, but because I basically just sit about playing the guitar and stopped skiing regularly I've gotten pretty fat, and really unhealthy. I have next to no arm muscle, my arm gets thinner where my biceps should be, it's pretty bad Also, if I get a bruise it just doesn't go away for ages. Thing is I put on weight in the worst places, I practically have a 6 pack, but I have a really noticeable double chin unless I'm sticking my neck out.

I'd go on the atkins but I have awful self control, and i'm not a big fan of meat
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by Renka
Dude, ten minutes!? I usually take an hour or two, and I am on sleeping medication!

Ya, at LEAST 10 minutes. Lately it's been taking 30-45 since I'm jet lagged on England time, but that's understandable. I dunno, it depends. If I'm really tired, 10 minutes (whereas my friends lie down and start snoring...). If I'm just sorta tired...up to an hour, easily.

i think all diets, not just Atkins, are a very bad idea. they essentially deprive your body of at least one thing it needs; a much better option is to just have a balanced overall diet, rather than using a particular dieting plan.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Why not focus on excercising more, eating smaller portions, and eating healthier and balanced foods in general? I'm still not convinced that Atkins is good for you.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Well, I think the general idea is to first lose some weight with the help of a power diet, and then return to eating and exercicing normally to try and stay at a certain weight you are happy with. But I am in no way an expert or anything.

Sorry about the spelling BTW, I'm tired.
To the water comment...you know that an average humman body is made up of approx. 60% water...he`d be a small blob lying on the floor if he`d lost 90% of his body water... O_o

I personnaly don`t know much about the atkins diet but my dad tried it a little while ago and it seemed to help him a bit... but scientifically, a low carb diet would oubviously lead to a fairly signifficant weight loss (though it would not be hard to gain back lost wieght in this form) but if the diet was continued for a long period of time (especially in an unhealthier person) then there could be side-effects leading to dammage to the body. Look-up the functions of carohydrate in the body on the interent to see possible effects...
Also consuming a large amount of fats can lead to an increase in risk of heart attacks (by clogging uparteries and preventing blood-flow).

There are problems surrounding diets such at the atkins, but some people seem to go a bit over-board on the possible problems and if it is not carried on for TOO and not to too much of an extreme then the only real effects should be a reduction in the amounts of carbs in the body (ie. a weight loss)...
Quote by metaldud635
Has anyone ever caught their parents doing it?

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, multiple times, and I usually joined in, still do in fact.

Quote by Vagabond21
Aaahh yes, the great state of Kentucky
Last edited by †[Posessed]† at Jan 6, 2007,