Page 1 of 3
Disclaimer: This thread is a fun idea that I had earlier in the season and just remembered in time for this years NFL Playoffs... If any of the mod's have a problem with this as a thread then let me know and I'll happily get rid of it... otherwise, ill try to keep the threads to a minimum posting a new update thread only once a week and closing the previous thread to prevent spam.

The UG NFL Playoffs ATS Picks Competition

This thread serves two purposes... firstly to explain my idea for the competition, and secondly to serve as a sign up thread for those that wish to enter before tomorrow's Kickoff in Indianapolis. So without further ado... ill get to part a)

a) Rules of the competition

- The basic premise of the competition is as follows... whoever predicts the most correct results out of the 11 upcoming NFL Playoff games is the winner. There is however one twist that those of you who gamble on the NFL may already have forseen. To make your decision harder you will not be picking who will win the game outright, but who will win the game when the Vegas Handicap is taken into account... in other words ATS (or Against-The-Spread) betting.

----------------

eg: Kansas City +7 @ Indy... this means Kansas City are the underdog and are given a seven point head start.

If the final score is Kansas City 21, Indianapolis 26... then Kansas's head start means they will win the ATS bet even though they lost the game. If Indianapolis win by 8 or more points however, then they win the ATS bet.

---------------

- Each week I will post a thread listing the upcoming games, and the handicaps that everyone will be using to make their choices. I realise different bookies offer different handicaps, but for the sake of the competition I will use This Page and pick what seems to be the most common handicap line. This will then not change and everyone can make their choices using the same handicap line.

- In each thread the competitors will make their picks for the week. When the first match kicks off I will close the thread, and when all the week's games are over I will open a new thread with an updated league table showing how well everyone did.

- Obviously, the person who makes the most correct picks after the Superbowl wins the competition. There is though a chance of a tie... therefore, in this first thread I ask that everyone who signs up includes two extra pieces of information other than their picks for this week's Wildcard Games...

a) Who they think will win the Superbowl
b) How many points will be scored in the Superbowl

In the event of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be if they got the answer to question a) right... if both/neither got it right then I will see who got closest to the right answer for question b)

-----------------------------------------------------

Everyone who wishes to enter the competition please post in this thread with the following details in your post.

a) Your 4 picks for this week (chosen from the options below)
b) Which team you think will win the Superbowl
c) How many points you think will be scored in the Superbowl

It goes without saying... if you choose to sign up for the competition... I hope you will be able to participate in each week of the competition, anyone who misses a week of picks will not be eligable for winning the competition.

------------------------------------------------------

THIS WEEK'S WILDCARD GAME HANDICAPS

- Kansas City Chiefs (+7) @ Indianapolis Colts

- Dallas Cowboys (+3) @ Seattle Seahawks

- New York Jets (+8.5) @ New England Patriots

- New York Giants (+7) @ Philadelphia Eagles

------------------------------------------------------

I hope enough people choose to enter this competition to make it quite fun... the main reason for this is not just to see who on UG is good at picking NFL games but also to have a bit of friendly discussion between people about why they made their choices... so feel free to back up your choices with the reasons why you made them... but keep Spam, and random cheerleading out of this thread please... thanks.
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
I might as well put my entry first as an example and to get the ball rolling...

My Picks:

- Kansas City +7 : (Indy should win this game at home, but unable to stop the run, Larry Johnson should be able to keep this high scoring game close)

- Dallas +3 : (I feel really niave picking a rookie-ish QB on the road in a big playoff game... but Seattle look so weak in their secondary that I think one or two big plays by TO or Terry Glenn could decide this game)

- NewEngland -8.5 : (I do respect the jets, but they have not beaten many good teams in their last 6 games, and I'd never pick against Belichek/Brady in the post-season)

- NY Giants +7: (Again, I think philly should win this game... but Tiki Barber is carrying NY for all he is worth... and he should hopefully give NY enough time of possession to not lose by more than a TD)

My Superbowl pick: Baltimore

Superbowl Points: 46
A) Colts
Seahawks
Jets
Eagles
B)Chargers
C) Altogether, 80 The score will be close, 38-42

EDIT: They broadcast the NFL over there in the UK?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Last edited by Soul Power at Jan 5, 2007,
--Colts

--Seahawks

--Jets

--Giants

Chargers will win Superbowl, 40 points will be scored
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Colts, Pats, Cowboys, and Eagles.

EDIT: Eagles win the Super Bowl, 38 points total.
<Han> I love Hitler
Last edited by HaKattack at Jan 5, 2007,
a-
Colts
Cowboys
New England
Giants
b-
Colts
c-
43 points
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
Kansas City Chiefs

Seattle Seahawks

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Superbowl: Saints
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Quote by Soul Power

EDIT: They broadcast the NFL over there in the UK?

Lucky for me (been a huge fan for quite a few years now) they broadcast loads of games each week... I wouldn;t be surprised if I get to see more games than the average American.

Our cable sports channel shows a double header every Sunday... We also see the SNF and MNF which is covered in the middle of the night by another channel...

recently we've even been shown the NFL Network games... which some people in USA cant even get... so i guess the moral is, if you like nfl... move to britain :P
hmmm... is no1 else bothered to try this? or was the first post just way too long for people to read :P

anyway... this may as well be a thread for people to also discuss who they think will win the games, even if they dont wanna play the competition
I'm in

Superbowl: Chargers

Woohoo?

I don't fully understand this, so if you can list winners after every week, that'd be great.

EDIT: Threadstarters from London!
EDIT2: I changed my Sunday picks.
Sent from my iPad.
Last edited by paintITblack39 at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by paintITblack39
I'm in

I don't fully understand this, so if you can list winners after every week, that'd be great.

EDIT: Threadstarters from London!

Yea... every monday or something ill post a thread with the previous results and a table of who is doing well... You seem to have gotten it from your post though...

You predicted that:
- Kansas will not lose by 8 or more
- Seattle will win by 4 or more
- NE will win by 9 or more
- Philly will win by 8 or more

If philly or indy win by 7 points exactly then those picks are ties...for everyone... and dont go down as a loss... same if seattle win by 3

-------------------

Im guessing the icon is because im a Brit so into NFL? I think there are quite a lot of fans that follow it over here, but because the games are in the middle of the night (easy for me, im a student ) these NFL fans often stay hidden.

I still get some weird looks if I tell people I like it... and ive given up explaining why its good to people who just think its silly for them all wearing pads and having lots of stoppages... but anyone thats actually watched a game with me explaining to them whats happening has liked it.

Ive converted my housemates to watching it... and even my gf will enjoy watching the odd game... If Tom Brady or Tony Romo are playing

sorry top bump this... but kickoff's in a few hours... and ill close the thread then... im just adding a list of who is in so far... and hoping a couple more people enter...

robbiemac2002
YouKnowYourRite
PaintITBlack39
Floyd1122
HakAttack
Soul Power
IForgot539Chillininfl
Steee21
PrimusFan
Last edited by RobbieMac2002 at Jan 6, 2007,
- Kansas City Chiefs (+7) @ Indianapolis Colts - originally i'd bet against the colts, but they're at home. no way they'll lose. they're not getting 375 yds rushed against them again.

- Dallas Cowboys (+3) @ Seattle Seahawks - both of these teams are incredibly shaky, but damn, the cowboys looked so bad a week or two ago i just can't pick them.

- New York Jets (+8.5) @ New England Patriots - jets beat them earlier this season at new england, but unfortunately the jets cindarella story is gonna end pretty fast tomorrow.

- New York Giants (+7) @ Philadelphia Eagles - the giants didn't even deserve the playoff spot IMO. i think the packers should've gotten it, just because favre is better than manning, and c'mon ... who wouldn't want to see a packers v. bears NFC championship game?

superbowl

chargers v. saints

total points

31-28 chargers

and whoever up there said the bears are even going to make it to the bowl ... they make me laugh. as much i resent this thread being run by a dirty englishman, i will assist you if you need help closing and such (considering you can't close your own thread, i'm thinking you do).
#DTWD
thanks primusfan... feel free to close this thread and let it plummet downwards whenever you have a moment after the games have started...

sorry steee21... i must have scrolled up past my posts too far :P

I share your laughter primusfan about the bears, they looked abysmal against green bay... I dont care whether it meant anything or not, Rex just doesnt have it... I dont think they should replace him... give him time to get better (i remember brees and hasselbeck in particular having 2 or 3 seasons each of growth pains before sprouting into franchise QB's) and give him playoff experience...

with that defense, in a weak NFC, the bears will be a playoff team for many future years... they wont win this year, but grossman should get better with experience and maybe the bears will win in a couple of years...
Quote by RobbieMac2002
thanks primusfan... feel free to close this thread and let it plummet downwards whenever you have a moment after the games have started...

sorry steee21... i must have scrolled up past my posts too far :P

I share your laughter primusfan about the bears, they looked abysmal against green bay... I dont care whether it meant anything or not, Rex just doesnt have it... I dont think they should replace him... give him time to get better (i remember brees and hasselbeck in particular having 2 or 3 seasons each of growth pains before sprouting into franchise QB's) and give him playoff experience...

with that defense, in a weak NFC, the bears will be a playoff team for many future years... they wont win this year, but grossman should get better with experience and maybe the bears will win in a couple of years...

i was sorta considering stickying/closing it if there are no objections from the other mods. then reopening it after the games. i don't know. it might not be necessary if we just remember to bump and reopen it.

and all my bears fan friends said give sexy rexy another season and if he doesn't come to fruition, axe him, trade him, draft someone, something. griese wasn't that much better in the second half. they'll figure it out in the offseason.
#DTWD
ah, i didnt think about the possibility of doing it all in the same thread... i thought id have to kinda close a thread, then start a new one each week...

if you are up for helping to open/close it then keeping it in the same thread would be handy i guess yea, and save bandwidth/space etc... I dont think it would need to be stickied, if it were to be stickied then the only time it would be worthwhile would be from now until the kickoff at indy in just over an hour...

once everyone has signed up, it doesnt really need to be stickied because those in the comp can find the thread and bump it if they respond, but others wont really care about it
Quote by RobbieMac2002
ah, i didnt think about the possibility of doing it all in the same thread... i thought id have to kinda close a thread, then start a new one each week...

if you are up for helping to open/close it then keeping it in the same thread would be handy i guess yea, and save bandwidth/space etc... I dont think it would need to be stickied, if it were to be stickied then the only time it would be worthwhile would be from now until the kickoff at indy in just over an hour...

once everyone has signed up, it doesnt really need to be stickied because those in the comp can find the thread and bump it if they respond, but others wont really care about it

true dat. well whatever you want to do, just let me know.
#DTWD
yea... I guess it can all be done in the same thread... its not like hundreds of people signed up and everyone will start arguing with eachother making the thread messy...

If you were able to sticky this for the next hour that would be great... then maybe theres no real need to close it after kickoff, ill just check the thread and ill know who was in on time. The thread can be left open for people to discuss results and nfl stuff... then Ill post the results in this thread on monday...
Indianapolis Colts

Seattle Seahawks

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Superbowl Winner: Chargers

Points Scored in Superbowl: 10-28 38 all together
"For Us, For Them, For You"
Updated (so i dont have to go to page 1 to see it because I was never bothered to find and change the settings for 40 posts per page) list

robbiemac2002
YouKnowYourRite
PaintITBlack39
Floyd1122
HakAttack
Soul Power
IForgot539Chillininfl
Steee21
PrimusFan
aebers79
I might as well (for the sake of making this thread a more popular place) leave the competition always open for people to enter...

Anyone that doesn't enter before the start of the Indi-Kansas game will not be allowed to make a choice in that game... but someone could enter tomorrow morning, just with only 9 games left instead of 11...

obviously this means the winner will be the person with the most correct picks, not the highest % of getting things right... 9 out of 11 will beat 8 out of 8
Quote by RobbieMac2002
I might as well (for the sake of making this thread a more popular place) leave the competition always open for people to enter...

Anyone that doesn't enter before the start of the Indi-Kansas game will not be allowed to make a choice in that game... but someone could enter tomorrow morning, just with only 9 games left instead of 11...

obviously this means the winner will be the person with the most correct picks, not the highest % of getting things right... 9 out of 11 will beat 8 out of 8

touché. is it ok to use this thread for in-game discussion?
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
touché. is it ok to use this thread for in-game discussion?

He said we could.

Anyway ... I think the Colts will lose, because their defense is pure crap.
Sent from my iPad.
ok so far the colts defense has been good but wow! did you see that interception?! right after a big 3rd down conversion. oh man, that was pretty fuckin' sweet. i loved seeing manning try to tackle him too.

edit: oh man! first green falls down and then they miss a chip shot field goal! kansas city, let's not send in the JV team, c'mon.
#DTWD
this game is looking really desperate for both teams... i say vinatieri probably wins this on his own then gets to spend the week complaining about how "am I the only person in this organisation who knows how to win something?"

final score prediction: Indy 22 - 10 Kansas
aye aye. manning looks like grossman right now. trying for the big plays and getting INTs instead.

edit: what a coincidence. there's another.
#DTWD
are you shitting me? i don't think i saw one pass play in that entire drive. is kansas city stupid? stop addai!
#DTWD
looks like indy's won the first pick...

im looking forward to the dallas game... ive got actual money on it... i grabbed dallas at +3 as soon as i heard about seattle's injury woes, the lines changed to about +1.5 now
sweet. every other place i picked my bracket i picked the chiefs over colts. glad i second guessed when it (sorta) meant something.

i heard madden saying before the game that he saw the hawks practicing and said they're in their post-season form of last year with hasselback top-knotch as well as alexander. i'm completely comfortable picking seattle over dallas.
#DTWD
wow... just.... wow

I think the officiating crew got all of the tricky decisions correct in the game... and at the end of the day Romo blew it... In a screwed up kinda way, im glad it was him that did the fumble and not someone else, he had a good stat line... 200 yds, 1TD, no INT in his first playoff game, on the road too... If he had lost with that performance thanks to anyone else he would have every right to be furious... as it is, its all his fault...

When seattle failed on 4th and 2 at the goaline, i personally would have gone for the FG... they got lucky with the glenn fumble... i think Dallas were the better team for the most part thanks to the defense containing alexander...

but long story short... Romo's fumble made no difference either way because I'd have won money whether the kick was good or bad

EDIT: congrats to HakAttack, Chillininfl & Steee21 who are a perfect 2 for 2 to begin...

REMEMBER EVERYONE, YOU CAN STILL ENTER IF YOU WANT... YOU MAY NOT WIN... BUT GET MOST OF THE REMAINING 9 RIGHT AND YOU'VE GOT A CHANCE
Last edited by RobbieMac2002 at Jan 6, 2007,
i went 2 for 2 also!!!!

I wish I watched those games though
Crazy game huh?

I got a little worried, I couldn't afford both my teams losing.
Sent from my iPad.
awww...i wish i would've seen this earlier.

I want in still.

So can i make my picks for the Sunday games then?

If so:

Patriots-- they will win by 13

Giants-- philly wins by a fieldgoal

Superbowl winner: San Diego Chargers (will beat New Orleans)

Superbowl score: 34 points (24-10)
the_experience: count yourself in... plenty of time for you to catch up... might come down to superbowl points as many ppl are (understandably) picking the chargers for the tiebreaker...

aebers: You got the indianapolis pick right... but unfortunately Seattle did not beat the spread vs Dallas... Dallas were getting a 3 point headstart... and lost by 1, so for the purpose of this competition they won the game by 2 points. I hope this makes sense, if not i'll try to explain further...

did you by any chance, now hopefully understanding the handicap system better, want to change any of your sunday picks?
Quote by RobbieMac2002
the_experience: count yourself in... plenty of time for you to catch up... might come down to superbowl points as many ppl are (understandably) picking the chargers for the tiebreaker...

aebers: You got the indianapolis pick right... but unfortunately Seattle did not beat the spread vs Dallas... Dallas were getting a 3 point headstart... and lost by 1, so for the purpose of this competition they won the game by 2 points. I hope this makes sense, if not i'll try to explain further...

did you by any chance, now hopefully understanding the handicap system better, want to change any of your sunday picks?

nah. Its cool. I think I understand now, but im not going to change any of my picks.
The Dallas game was CRAZY! All my freinds and everyone in my city are Cowboys fans, damn bastards. I like the Rams, shut up, don't laugh.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Page 1 of 3