if you take their strat-style bodies, and with all other things being equal (ie: pickups, wood, bridge style, price range) what are the differences?
jakeson's necks are alot thicker than the other two and they all sound different
Yeha id put it in as ESP>Jackson>Schecter But thats only putting into consideration the high-end models, and there all nice.
Quote by duke2446
jakeson's necks are alot thicker than the other two and they all sound different

I'd have to disagree.
The Schecter is a lot like a Gibson neck,
whereas the Jackson is a lot thinner, while still maintaining that round profile..

of course ESP is the best, especially because you can get an Extra Thin Flat neck profile through custom shop, which is an amazing profile..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
yeah, but what is it about them? how is the craftsmanship better? if you take their $700 (hypothetical) strat-style (because they all look alike), what is it? ok, the hellraisers are good. regardless of hardware cuz that can be switched out.
Quote by sethp
yeah, but what is it about them? how is the craftsmanship better? if you take their $700 (hypothetical) strat-style (because they all look alike), what is it? ok, the hellraisers are good. regardless of hardware cuz that can be switched out.

um..
well for $700 you're not getting an ESP.. You're getting an LTD.
Otherwise..
You're looking at an H or MH LTD which are made in Korea
You're looking at a Hellraiser, which has probably the nicest specs, but once again is made in Korea, which is hit or miss..
and
You're looking at a DK2 or DKMG... whcih are made in japan, which IMO is superior to the other twos point of origin...
Striketalonx is completely right, korean guitar maker send out good batches and bad batches of guitars, to where as Japan is usually higher quality than Korea and China (First Act lol) Hes also right when he says that for $700, your not getting an ESP, you get an LTD (owned by ESP kinda like Gibson/Epiphone) so its still a nice guitar, but its not an ESP, and the quality will let you know. As for Schecter, as said, the Hellraisers. Come in a C-1 and C-7 i think, which is 6(C-1) and 7(C-7) String. They are very nice, and i think they really look awsome too. As for Jackson, again as posted by Striketalonx, the DK2 is probably the most common guitar for them, in there mid-range products. I one day hope to own a Rhoads V signature, those are sweet, but i have to wait.... im not eve out of highschool yet lol.
I meant the $700 price point as a HYPOTHETICAL constant. So make them all $47,935.95, or $900, or $1,999.95, or $1,475.99, or...

oh forget it. esp is the winner... for what-ever-the-hell reason.
Well the hypothetical constant got you the right answer. I think low end LTDs are better than jackson and Schecter low ends (shecter would come in 2nd there)and the high end in still esp. but if you really willing to spend $47,935.95...you could get all 3 if you wanted, then a Gibson Black Beauty and an ES335, and then a LP Studio. [/assholism]
If you're looking at similarly priced guitars, those companies are close enough that it would come down to preference, I would probably go ltd, schecter(those two are extremely close, but I prefer the larger string spacing of the ltd, and I think they have slightly higher build quality as a whole, though the ltd's cost a little more, and then jackson (I haven't played any of the high end jacksons, so I'm basing this one of how their mid-ranged guitars compare with the other companies mid-ranged guitars, and I prefer painted necks.
In the end though, in terms of custom shops and such..
I'd probably say ESP and Jackson over Schecter..
ESP is japanese, I love japanese quality, always have, always will.
Jackson essentially started the Superstrat revolution back in the eighties along with BcRich and Kramer really, the only reason they aren't as good still, is because fender bought them out, which IMO has caused them to decline..

Schecter... well, schecter has had a rough life.. they basically started their name back in the day with a custom shop telecaster for Pete Townshend, and they were essentially a custom shop, high end company. Until they got bought out, and they went into the lower-end side of guitars, making mass produced pieces of shit.. and they did horrible.. now they are back in good hands, and are making decent guitars that are pretty good, and I believe you can get custom shop guitars as well.. of course its a completely different custom shop than the old legendary one, so its really a "rookie" shop compared to the ESP one and Jackson one..

Also take note that ESP and Schecter are both daughters of the same mother corporation last time I checked... they say there's no connection otherwise, but I think they might have a bit of a relation that we don't know about..
so why do all their strat-style bodies look almost exactly the same, along with warmoth "soloist" bodies? they've all got that same flatt'ish rear end (where the strap knob is) and almost identical cut-aways. maybe except for some contouring here or there. is there one annonymous company that makes all of them?
lets face it they are alike, they are some wood with EMGs, of course schetcher has some other guitars that they didn't throw EMGs into but yeah they are pretty much the same sound wise in my opinion. After that, there are little differences that make a question of personal preference, on guitar will have a thiner neck ot a better qualitly finish....
No, they are all strat style bodied guitars, therefore, they all copy fender strat bodies and must be somewhat similar, that's why they look alot alike (I don't really think they look that much alike, but whatever).

And the rest of the guitar has nothing to do with how the body looks, alot of jackson's have bolt on necks and are made of alder, the other two are almost always mahogany and bolt on necks, and the neck profiles, electonics, hardware, etc. are different on all three.
I just tried my friend's used Jackson custom guitar...honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I just loved playing with the trem, but I really liked my ltd esp more. The neck on the jackson was really akward at first...but meh, it was alright.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of jackson necks, though I've never tried any of the high end ones. I prefer a painted neck.
Quote by 1fine69
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of jackson necks, though I've never tried any of the high end ones. I prefer a painted neck.

Why? They're so sticky. If you like painted necks, get a Soloist. Almost all of those have them. They also have kinda chunky necks for a guitar supposedly for shred. KVs, however, kick ass. They need to make more of them this year.
Quote by Striketalonx
Jackson essentially started the Superstrat revolution back in the eighties along with BcRich and Kramer really, the only reason they aren't as good still, is because fender bought them out, which IMO has caused them to decline..

True, the quality did decline for a while after the buy out but they are definitely coming back after a great 2006 lineup and i imagine more improvements this year.

When it comes to the 3 makers against each other id say the quality of workmanship is going to be pretty equal for each brand in a certain price range. The only real differences would be the feel of the neck and that only comes down to preference anyway. IMO when i tried out guitars from all three makers i found the jackson neck to be far more comfortable for me which is why i bought it.
Quote by Holy Katana
Why? They're so sticky. If you like painted necks, get a Soloist. Almost all of those have them. They also have kinda chunky necks for a guitar supposedly for shred. KVs, however, kick ass. They need to make more of them this year.

Yeah, I was really surprised after hearing it was supposed to be the "shredding guitar". I could barely move my hands up and down the fret board.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Would the Schecter C-1 Classic be considered a "low end" Shecter? Also does anyone know what the neck is like on that thing?
No, it would be considered mid to high end, but schecter doesn't make any guitars that are extremely high end besides their custom shop. And the neck will feel like somewhat strat like in profile, but painted.

And I can't afford a soloist, though they look pretty sweet.
i would put it ESP>jackson<schecter.

i have played several models from all 3 companies and i even own a schecter and i think quality wise esp beats them all but i have found people who have a lot of factory flaws with ESPs but overal quality is still best. i like schecters necks a lot better then jacksons necks because they are thinner and i like to play fast. but in the end its all in personal taste.
I say Schecter>ESP=Jackson

And for some reason i want to say i read somewhere that ESP owns schecter. I may have just been dreaming though.
is it me or the fact that the neck is thicker does not influence the speed of your playing ? I just don't get it when people talk about super slim necks and all that... I can still shred with my SG copy, even though the neck is quite thick and the quallity of the parts are not really good... and for the painted neck VS not painted..... neck tru and set neck ( hellraiser is set neck ) are, for most of the time, painted. AND bolt on are not painted ( again, most of the time ) and most of the time, the high ends commes in neck tru and mid and low commes in bolt on, so meh.

personally, i like my jackson. but for the price VS quality, i think the hellraiser owns them all. even though your question is not about the price, you still gotta think about that at sommetime or another when buying a guitar
Quote by xXavengerXx
is it me or the fact that the neck is thicker does not influence the speed of your playing ? I just don't get it when people talk about super slim necks and all that... I can still shred with my SG copy, even though the neck is quite thick and the quallity of the parts are not really good... and for the painted neck VS not painted..... neck tru and set neck ( hellraiser is set neck ) are, for most of the time, painted. AND bolt on are not painted ( again, most of the time ) and most of the time, the high ends commes in neck tru and mid and low commes in bolt on, so meh.

personally, i like my jackson. but for the price VS quality, i think the hellraiser owns them all. even though your question is not about the price, you still gotta think about that at sommetime or another when buying a guitar

a thinner neck just makes it easier...like lower action makes it easier to play.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
a thinner neck just makes it easier...like lower action makes it easier to play.

I understand for the action cuz it makes the strings closser to the frets, so it reduces the amount of moovements you have to do to play a note... but for the neck... .... .... seriously I play with action very low, but the neck does not change alot of my playing... most of the time I play with my thumb on the neck and not my hand so maybe that's why. Playing like I do makes it easyer to move around the neck and it's easyer in overall.
Well, if the price range and specs are similar, then generally you're getting a pretty similar guitar from any of the three companies. They all make good guitars and there is no 'best' company as many of the people posting here seem to be suggesting. Personally I love Jacksons, and I can easily see myself buying many more of them in the coming years, but I'm not going to claim that they are better than the other companies, just that I prefer them.

If you're looking at similar spec'd and priced guitars from the three the main difference is going to be in feel and in looks. Basically, pick the neck profile you like! I suppose the main difference in the mid range is that Jacksons generally have less cosmetic touches than the other two, because the Japanese craftsmanship comes at a higher price than Korean, so they have to make savings somewhere else. That's about it really.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Well, if the price range and specs are similar, then generally you're getting a pretty similar guitar from any of the three companies. They all make good guitars and there is no 'best' company as many of the people posting here seem to be suggesting. Personally I love Jacksons, and I can easily see myself buying many more of them in the coming years, but I'm not going to claim that they are better than the other companies, just that I prefer them.

If you're looking at similar spec'd and priced guitars from the three the main difference is going to be in feel and in looks. Basically, pick the neck profile you like! I suppose the main difference in the mid range is that Jacksons generally have less cosmetic touches than the other two, because the Japanese craftsmanship comes at a higher price than Korean, so they have to make savings somewhere else. That's about it really.

+1

All similarly designed products from stbale brands with equivalent manufacturing costs are going to be arguably equal and preference will be personal. This is sometimes called top tier parity and is why companies turn to marketing tactics to earn your business.

Origin of manufacturer is also somewhat of a gimmick. 'Quality' can theoretically be exported to any country through adequate training, technology investment, and setting top quality standards. General consumer mindset, however, often expects that higher quality products should come from countries with higher manufacturing costs. Often the difference just buys prestige.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Classic, Gibson Faded V, Tacoma DR14C, Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 + 1960B.