Hi, i used to play acoustic and did a lot of country, classical styles. I cant just abandon finger picking. Can i use it on metal? like on the parts that are clean (no ovedrive/dist.). That should neat.
EDIT heres an example of how i finger pick. Of course that dude is better

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PxtOlFo-1hE
Last edited by pnoy_sk8er21 at Jan 5, 2007,
I'm no metal fan (obviously) but I can tell you that just because you want to play a genre doesn't mean you can't add your own touch to it. Go ahead, finger pick. I'm sure it'll add your own touch to the sound.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
of course, just tuck your pick under your middle finger (that's what I do)
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
You could use fingerpicking during shreddy, string-skipping licks. You could also play acoustic breaks with your fingers. Check out some Opeth for good acoustic stuff.
i use it in metal all the time...not just clean parts either...i have background with classical guitar(as you can see from my taylor) and used my nails...it works well when i do arpeggios on my metal solos or...or runs...or sepparated notes...you can use it a lot...
2008 PRS Custom 24 in Blue Matteo
2007 PRS Paul Allender Signature
Boss GT-10
2007 Fender Marcus Miller Signature Bass
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
Gallien-Krueger 810RBX

myspace.com/porcelainprovince
I sometimes use the "tremelo" technique, but I use it with very little gain.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
check out Mark Knopfler, not a metal guitarist but he would almost always finger pick. he was the guitarist/singer for dire straits. great example of how fingerpicking can be used in a rock context. the point is you dont have to give up fingerpicking and can really make it your style in world where all metal guitarists flat pick the majority of their songs. it could sound great if you come up with a good way to do it, so try and go with it.
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
Whaats the tremelo tech?

It's a classical technique I think. There are various ways to do it, but mine is generally a lower note played with the thumb, followed by either 2 or 3 plucks from the fingers. Thumb + two plucks is for a triplet, thumb + 3 is for 16th notes in 4/4. I'll try to give you an example...

T r m i T r m i T r m i T r m i
---0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0-
---------------------------------
-2-------1-----------------------
-----------------3-------2-------

Phrygian dominant idea.

T being thumb, r being ring, m being middle, i being index. (I KNOW this isn't what classical guitarists use as terminology).

You could also use descending intervals, or something. I'll use triplets for this one:

T m i T m i T m i T m i T
---7-7---8-8---7-7---5-5---------
-8-----9-----8-----6-----8-------

You may want to consider what I've done: use a thumbpick. You get to use your fingers, but also have a pick for the chugging parts.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Yea, i have a thumb pick. Oh, and thans for the technique. Ill be putting that in my Lick book .