Any tips on playing songs that you've spent ages learning without looking at the tabs?
If you mean like tabbing it out yourself. Then you have to have a good ear to figure out the notes.
Bass is my life.
Do you mean memorizing the song?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Just play it over and over again. It works for everything. And if you can, tab it out your self, then check on offical refrence for correctness.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Just remember how the song goes...Forget some of the more technical stuff and just play.
jus look at the tabs and play the song slow until u think u got it.Then look away from the tabs and try playing it.Then without looking at the actual tabs tab it yourself and see if u got it wright.If u didnt look at the actual tabs and try it again.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
One word--Practice. Though tabbing it yourself or transcribing if you can read music would definately help as well.
Keep running through the song over and over, eventually it will get planted in your mind
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I find that when I'm learning, it's easier to memorize a song if you only read the tab a couple of times. After that, play without it and refer to it only if something sounds like crap.
-PLAIDOCASTER
-Ibanez Iceman Bass (Sunburst)
-Nonack Special Mk. II (Blood Red Mahogany/ Natural Binding)
-Fretless Soundgear (Color Shift Purple/Blue/Red/Orange)
-Pearl Export 5 pc. Drumset (Black)
This is a problem I have been struggling with ever since I started playing in a band. The trick is to think in tones and train your reflexes to reach for the sounds you hear in your head. Don't think of music in terms of sequences of dots on a sheet, lrows etters of the alfabet or places on the fretboard for these are always hard to memorize. Tunes, on the other hand, can be memorized forever with no efford.
Think in what is often called "Nashville notation".

About "Nashville notation", Wikipedia says:

Nashville notation is a method of writing, or sketching out, musical ideas, using numbers in place of chord names. For example:

In the key of C, C=1, D=2, E=3, and so on for all twelve notes in the key. So, the chord progression C///F///G///C/// would correspond to 1///4///5///1/// in Nashville notation.

This also works the other way: 1///4///5///1/// in the key of G would become G///C///D///G///

This method of notation facilitates musicians (who are familiar with basic music theory) being able to play the same song in any key, perhaps to accommodate a singer's vocal range.

After writing down a few dozen songs, you'll notice that many songs have similar patterns of chord changes. After a while you'll relate a song to it's pattern, and the few signature chord interval changes that makes the song different from other songs using the same pattern, and end up remembering a song by it's pattern and it's signature.
I learn a song by playing it through whilst looking at the tab a few times, then once I know I can play it I try without the tab, get as far as i can without forgetting, check on the part I forgot, and then play again. I also listen to the song a few times, and listen to where the notes roughly go, higher or lower, and I can then use the fac I've already seen the tab and the fact that I know when the note changes to work it out.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.