hey guys, recently i have been getting really creative with my improvising, and find that i am constantly playing notes outside the designated scale patterns. I know that if it still sounds good,(and it does) that its ok, but i would like to know of any little tips or things to do to your ordinary scale, like E minor pentatonic for example, how would I incorporate modes or anything else like that to help expand my range of notes available. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
E minor pentatonic is contained in three minor scales (and thus all relative modes), E Dorian, E Aeolian, and E Phrygian.

Watch this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control. It has a lot of good stuff about improv.
Like Marty says in the video ^ : it's not about the scale position, it's about what notes you're hitting and do they sound right to you.
Scale positions are merely basic shapes to help you play the scale easier. Positions do not define the scale at all - it's the notes in the scale that do. So, if you want to play for example C D E, it doesn't matter if you play the 8th, 10th, and 12th frets of the E string or say 3th and 5th frets on A string and 2th fret on D string - you'll still get the same notes and thus the same part of the scale.

Hmm just read your original post and realized this isn't exactly what you're asking, but anyway... It's always a good idea to know which chords go well with whatever scales - it's a great way to play transitions between keys/scales when playing lead. The very basic would be something like a, E minor pentatonic >> E minor arpeggio >> D major arpeggio >> D major scale >> E minor arpeggio >> E minor pentatonic.

Moving between different scales/chords will give you a LOT more room for your playing than trying to stick to one key/one scale, but it's obviously going to be more difficult to synchronize if you're playing with another player or a band.

Ugh it's 9am and I'm tired and at work so this probably sucks but whatever.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!