Any exercises to help build Finger Independence and dexterity?

Thanks,

John
heres one

E
A
D
G adn so on
B--------------1-2-3-4
E---1-2-3-4-

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Schecter4lyfe...

+1

To add to that fine advice...

Make sure it is forward and backwards. After you get that, try mixing it up a little. What I mean to say is....1-3-2-4, next string, 1-3-2-4, etc. Again, forwards and backwards. If you know a Pentatonic scale, forwards and backwards as well.

Pay attention to finger-to-fret assignment too. I was using my pinky for most of what the third (ring finger) and forth (pinky) were supposed to be doing and had to break the habit. I thought I could get away with the above (wrong way) but found that I can actually go faster by doing it the correct way (duh!).

Hope this helps you,

Chris
this exercise has worked wonders for me

ontop of this u can start adding gaps between ur fingers to stretch it out more, so for example, instead of 10-11-12-13 do 10-11-13-14, making a gap between ur middle 2 fingers, makes it MUCH harder, but it pays off well
yes it is, sorry i really should have linked it - bit smaller now
Last edited by thesimo at Jan 6, 2007,
^Best book for technical skill building I've ever seen...

If you really stick with these books, you'll be playing quite well after a few months.
Looking for my India/Django.
Well if you have some money and a PS2 or Xbox360 try getting Guitar Hero. Seriously you need good fingers to play it on hard.
Quote by Ranxston
Well if you have some money and a PS2 or Xbox360 try getting Guitar Hero. Seriously you need good fingers to play it on hard.

Lol @ that
thesimo that is what I have been working on this past week, it is very difficult for me to work/move my 3rd and 4th finger independantly

John
Quote by jvirgajr
thesimo that is what I have been working on this past week, it is very difficult for me to work/move my 3rd and 4th finger independantly

John

really? i find the middle 2 the hardest, but ive been doing it for 2 weeks now and i can almost do the chords as fast as petrucci in the videos until he starts goin nuts and doing mad stretches, persevere hehe
You can also add a stretch or 2 to it 9/11/12/13 9/12/11/13 13/12/11/9 13/11/12/9 and then 10/11/12/14 etc.....................

John

-----------------
-----------------
--------8--------
------7----------
----5------------
--4--------------

this was hardest one i could do, nearly killed me
put your hands flat on a table. lift the thumb and middle finger while the other fingers are down. Then lift the index and ring finger while the others are down. then do it fastthis will help.

ps you are not a retard if you cant do it, its perfectly natural.
Play this diminished chord: first finger on first fret d string, third finger second fret g string, second finger first fret b string, pinky second fret high e.

Now practicing playing a pattern where you lift a different pair of fingers simultaneously 4 or 8 times evenly on quarter notes, keeping the other pair planted. Continue in time to a different pair until you have exausted all possible combinations.
Quote by redwing_suck
^Best book for technical skill building I've ever seen...

If you really stick with these books, you'll be playing quite well after a few months.

Actually, I think "Sheets of Sound" is much better. But, the emphasis is a bit
different, and I think it's geared to a higher basic skill level. But Speed Mechanics
is still quite good.