Poll: Do your parents like that you play an instrument?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do your parents like that you play an instrument?
Yes
184 67%
Kinda
73 27%
No
17 6%
I don't play anything
0 0%
Voters: 274.
Page 1 of 3
Easy, do your parents like that you play guitar or bass or whatever instrument you play?
Mine like the fact that I play but can't stand listening to me....
They close my door doesn't matter how soft I am playing (my dad mostly) and they keep telling me that I am to obsessed with my guitar....

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Last edited by UniverseZero at Jan 5, 2007,
Yeah........dont see how they wouldn't
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Yes, they encourage me to never quit playing. They don't mind how loud I get either, though my sister always complains.
my dad plays bluegrass, i play thrash. but some times i sit down with him and play, he loves it
My dad and I both play Guitar, and they loved when I played the sax for five years before picking up my first sixer. We have blues duels all the time, though he's more into his rockabilly stuff whereas I'm more into modern funk and late eighties/early nineties metal. It's great because while his heroes are the likes of Scotty Moore, and mine along the lines of Zakk Wylde, we will always agree that Hendrix is the king. Guitar players are all so similar when you cut down to it.
My dads a beast at guitar, so whenever he sees me struggling with the c major scale, he calls me a noob.
learning music stimulates your brain in other areas as well such as math, so I would think that all decent parents would encourage it. I can understand that people might get annoyed by the noise, but once you get better I'm sure their opinions will change for the better.
they like it, but they don't like my new amp. i LOVE my new amp
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
They're supportive of my music in general, unless it's amplified...
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
My dad really likes that I do. If I need guitar stuff he usually gets it pretty quick. Though he's cheap as hell when it comes to everything else. We have absolutely NO food at the moment.
my mom was the one that was like "ooo join band" (got me into drums)
and then i broke me ankle and she was like "yeah i signed up for guitar lessons so u'll have something to do" (i'd wanted to for a long time)

my dad kinda hates my playing, my mom was more of a rocker back in the day, so she likes it, just not the volume level. My sister is the real hater.

I guess when i look at it, my mom's the one who's to blame for all my problems cuz she got me into playing music
Quote by Soma3009

I'm wearing my batman outfit to school tomorrow. Only problem is, the legs are spandex. So, my balls competely stand out. Is there ANY possible way around this?

Quote by futurejimmypage
like my band wants to have like kickass nick names. names like synyster gates etc.
^lol

Yeah mine encourage me although i can only play so loud.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
yep, parents encourage me. My dad, brothers and I all play guitar so it's all good. Mum is the only one that doesn't play, lol. I think it's safe to say that I play the most guitar out of all of us, cuz I have nothing else to do, hehe.

Nothing else to do, except wank.
My stuff:

ESP EX-50
SX Telecaster Replica
Jade 75 watt amp
15 Watt Mega-amp, lol.
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP50
ive never really had a problem with my parents...and i agree with astrocreep, any good parent would discourage something there child loves. But ive never had a problem my parents love that i have something i love and better that then just being a bum on the street ....A7X RULESSSSSS!!!!!

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
yep...my mom likes metallica...>.> confuses me...and everything else i play like BB P86 tool...my dad likes it too...weird
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Very much so. My whole fam loves music. My dads in a bnad so he knows all about it.
They're more than happy(most of the time) to buy anything that'll help me.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by astrocreep71
learning music stimulates your brain in other areas as well such as math, so I would think that all decent parents would encourage it. I can understand that people might get annoyed by the noise, but once you get better I'm sure their opinions will change for the better.

I'm good at math with or without the musical stimulation, i mean, its not like my parents discourage it, but they don't like to hear me playing since i got the electric guitar, because I can distort it and thats when they get pissed. When I had only acoustic I had no trouble.....

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by UniverseZero
I'm good at math with or without the musical stimulation, i mean, its not like my parents discourage it, but they don't like to hear me playing since i got the electric guitar, because I can distort it and thats when they get pissed. When I had only acoustic I had no trouble.....

really because i suck at math but can read music like a motha****er.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
They support me playing the guitar...it just annoys them when they're trying to get some shut eye.

But the only thing that they don't support is the financial issue with spending all of my money on an amp.

ex.
Mom: But you already have an amp, it's good enought

*looks at solid state amp*

*shrugs*
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
My mom is kinda indifferent, my stepdad hates the fact that i play so much he thinks i should be something "productive" such as play a sport or something he would agree with. My dad on the other hand bought me my first guitar and a new amp for my B-day so he backs me 100% which is sweet.
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
My parents love that I play. I am very involved in the community with guitar, bass, and singing so my parents love that. My mom too. Shes very musical, so ya.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by les.is.more
My mom is kinda indifferent, my stepdad hates the fact that i play so much he thinks i should be something "productive" such as play a sport or something he would agree with. My dad on the other hand bought me my first guitar and a new amp for my B-day so he backs me 100% which is sweet.

That's cool .

In my opinion, I think music is more productive than sports.

Most likely because I don't do sports, but anyway, it's just my opinion.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
my parents like that i play. they come in every once in a while to hear me. I'm in band, and play tenor sax. i've played piano since i was like 4, and guitar for around 3 years now. They're really supportive about it.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Hehe, I wouldn't have gotten into guitar if it wasn't for my dad. Sure, I enjoyed alot of guitar music, but he's the one with the guitars! He also taught me some stuff...like Blackbird when I first started out a few months ago.

Basically, He's into much of the same stuff I am. Blues, Classical, and Classic Rock...Clapton, CSNY, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc... And pretty much an array of classical stuff like Bach and stuff
My parents encourage me. They love to sit and listen to me play, even if it's metal. My parents are open to everything. They even come to watch my band play shows. It's weird.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
No, my dad wont even LET me quit lessons. My mom hates things associated w/ music though, like my hair (dont ask), drugs, booze, partying. Not that i do any of those things exept the hair.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by UniverseZero
Easy, do your parents like that you play guitar or bass or whatever instrument you play?
Mine like the fact that I play but can't stand listening to me....
They close my door doesn't matter how soft I am playing (my dad mostly) and they keep telling me that I am to obsessed with my guitar....

it is the exact same thing with me!
Quote by B.I.N.
Chord of David, eh?
G Sus, perhaps?
Well, my parents have never objected to me playing guitar. Of course, I have never heard one word come out of their mouths about my playing either...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

My parents were somewhat supportive when I played quiet piano and acoustic guitar.

After I discovered the joys of Beethoven and electric guitars, they became slightly less supportive.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
only when they can't hear...except for my dad(he plays too)
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Yep, they like it a lot. They like it more when I play jazz, of course. But still, when I come upstairs after a huge long shredfest, my parents will sometimes pause and say "You're getting really good at the guitar" which makes me happy.
no
My parents love that I have something that I love so much. They support me fully in everything that I do with guitar.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Page 1 of 3