Does anyone know how hard it is to install an EMG-81 and EMG-85 into an Ibanez SZ guitar? I have the pickups and was going to attemp to install them, but it looked slightly more involved than installing passive pickups since I will be removing the tone and volume controls as part of the process. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
If it were me, I'd take it to the shop. Have you replaced pu's before? Judging by your gear list....

Talk of the devil, your gear list is very much like my dream gear list, with some small modifications. Claps and props and mad skilz to you.
Yeah, I have the same setup in my SZ, but I am thinking of trying to install on my friends SZ. I had the shop do my install for me. I have worked with pickups before, just not the EMG. In fact, I am about to replace the X2N in my RG with a Drop Sonic -- and that I will do by myself. The EMG just looks more involved compared to what I have done in the past...
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Just follow the wiring diagram and you should be ok.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
if it were me, id take it to a tech, just to be on the safe side.

and youve got excellent taste my man, the SZ, the EMG's, the Mesa, and the D Sonic are all a big "hell yeah" in my book!
Quote by lp_dude_2
if it were me, id take it to a tech, just to be on the safe side.

and youve got excellent taste my man, the SZ, the EMG's, the Mesa, and the D Sonic are all a big "hell yeah" in my book!

Thanks, man. Yeah, I just installed the DSonic in my RG (have to change my sig now) and I love it. Much, much better sounding than the X2N. I went ahead and told my friend to take it to a tech. Better to mess up on my own gear, than a friends.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by Holy Katana
There's really not a lot of soldering at all. I did an EMG installation as my first soldering job, and it came out perfect.

The soldering wasn't the issue for me as much as it was trying to figure out where everything was supposed to connect into my 3-way switch. Honestly, I would like to get to a point where I am doing ALL my own guitar tech -- I just wanted to be cautious with this one in particular because it wasn't my guitar.

What kind of guitar did you put your EMG's in?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by smashingchicago
Thanks, man. Yeah, I just installed the DSonic in my RG (have to change my sig now) and I love it. Much, much better sounding than the X2N. I went ahead and told my friend to take it to a tech. Better to mess up on my own gear, than a friends.

i hear ya man, im swapping out the JB in my SZ320 for the D Sonic hopefully next week. i bought the D Sonic months ago and i just found a new tech last week, so im up grading all my guitars.