I have recently began attempting sweep picking and I have a few inquiries on the matter:

When you become skilled at the technique are new arpeggios difficult to learn, or are there forms for many of them that translate across the guitar?

What is the best online resource for learning sweep picking?

Finally, what songs incorporate the technique, but are not too difficult to learn?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
1. Like scales, arpeggios can be moved all over the neck, unless they are ridiculous things that cover 24 frets.

2. Cyberfret.com has some good stuff, as does chopsfromhell.com.

3. Sweeping is hard, so there's not much in the way of beginners stuff. My suggestion is to become proficient with the technique by practicing exercises before attempting "Smoke and Mirrors" or something.
Once you learn the basic shapes for arpeggios like major, minor, whatever augmented or diminished shapes etc etc, you can move them around the fingerboard pretty easily - just like barre chords. You're also likely to find learning new shapes becoming much easier as you practice sweeping more.

And remember you don't have to stick to arpeggios with sweeping - you can play scales just as well, or mix scales and chords, or even play entire progressions in one or a series of sweeps!
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
The guitar part under Sinergy's "Spit On Your Grave" where the lyrics go:

"I'm sick, tired of this abuse
I've played the fool for many years
Escape, shelter me from harm"

has some (what looks like sweeping to me) that's relatively slow.
R E G G A E
the song bit is a bit difficult cause i'm also learning.....all the guys who use sweep are like the best in tyhe biz....like yjm, jason becker, marty freidman, john petrucci(not so much) and vinnie moore
When sweeping, should your picking hand be relaxed when it does the sweep, like, should you be holding the pick loosely? I do it this way and find its easier and faster, but its sloppier.
Or should the picking hand just be normal?

Its hard to explain what I mean though
To Ignignokt + shmooty:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_sweep_picking.html

^that video will probably teach you how to sweep pick a lot better than any of us could.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
To Ignignokt + shmooty:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_sweep_picking.html

^that video will probably teach you how to sweep pick a lot better than any of us could.

I've seen it, but it doesn't really tell me about holding the pick for sweeping... nevermind, I know its hard to explain. I'll ask my teacher when I finally get around to starting lessons with him
You hold it as you would feel confurtable. Theres no right or wrong way to hold a pick as long as you can do what you are trying to do. If I remember right, in that video it does explain that you should be tilting the pick up or down depending on the direction you are going though. That generally just comes naturally to people anyway but if you're not doing that you should give it a go.

I would really recommend changing the way you hold the pick to do certain things though or you'll risk dropping it more than normal and thats the last thing you need before a sweep as you'll find it really hard to do with your fingers lol. Plus, you wont be as fast as you could be when starting the sweep.
Quote by shmooty
I've seen it, but it doesn't really tell me about holding the pick for sweeping... nevermind, I know its hard to explain. I'll ask my teacher when I finally get around to starting lessons with him

Well, if you hold the pick too tight, you will probably pick what seems to be a stuttering chord. If you hold the pick too loosely, it will probably fall out of your hand. Just go through some trial and error to see what works best.

On an added note, make sure when you are sweeping and ascending the strings, to sorta turn your picking hand a bit so the tip of your pick is facing up towards you. That will help a lot. When you are descending the strings, turn your hand so the tip of the pick is facing the floor.

I suck at explaining things like this but hopefully that will help?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
while on the topic of sweep picking, what are the basic shapes for major and minor arpeggios that can be moved on the neck, and which fret placement corresponds to each key?