After seeing someones location or user title or something just now, "the alphabets not in order on my keyboard". made me think, wtf? whats the reasoning behind the ordering of the letters on the keyboard. why not alphabetical?
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
I think they did some study to see which way would be the most efficient and this is what they got.

Just a guess.
Member #1,267,859 of the I'd die for Dethklok club. PM Vigilantius to join.

Infanterist of the First Reich of the Grammar Nazis.

Quote by MusicMan00
I noticed the avatar before I read what you said. Then I read it. Then I laughed.
qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm

"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
They guy who made the first keyboard just messed it up, and it stayed like that.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
It was actually made that way so that the most often used keys were further apart, because otherwise the typewriter would be jammed. It goes way back... There are lots of alternative keyboard layouts though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
The inventor of the typewriter, Christopher Sholes, arranged the keys in the "qwerty sequence" which is how computer keyboards are usually arranged. He arranged them like this because originally, typists were typing so fast with other arrangements that the keys would become jammed (if you've ever used a typewriter you'll understand how). With the qwerty arrangement, the typists had to move their hands further than usual, slowing their typing down, which helped to prevent the keys jamming.
The first type-writer was really janky and broke down very easily. So the letters were arranged designed to make you type slower, because the slower you typed, the less likely the typewriter would break down. And, for one reason or another, the arrangement has stuck with keyboard through the century. Capiche?

EDIT: Oh. The two people above me said the same thing.
the only two that i know of are the common qwerty keyboards, and dvorak, dvorak was the original i believe. You might be able to find some dvorak keyboards if you want to type faster.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by rdineen
the only two that i know of are the common qwerty keyboards, and dvorak, dvorak was the original i believe. You might be able to find some dvorak keyboards if you want to type faster.

Yay Dvorak! I don't even remember QWERTY anymore. Dvorak is just a lot better. And you don't need a new keyboard to type with; just change the layout in Regional and Language Options.
hahhahaah, qwerty is NOT the most efficient keyboard layout, It's one of the worst.

I know a few computer geeks who use the uber fast layout, but I dont know what its called

I tried typing on a German keyboard once, it wasn't pretty
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Wayward_Son
It was actually made that way so that the most often used keys were further apart, because otherwise the typewriter would be jammed. It goes way back... There are lots of alternative keyboard layouts though.

QFT
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Robbie n strat
The inventor of the typewriter, Christopher Sholes, arranged the keys in the "qwerty sequence" which is how computer keyboards are usually arranged. He arranged them like this because originally, typists were typing so fast with other arrangements that the keys would become jammed (if you've ever used a typewriter you'll understand how). With the qwerty arrangement, the typists had to move their hands further than usual, slowing their typing down, which helped to prevent the keys jamming.
Yeah, was gonna say exactly this.

Apparently, they've come up with a MUCH more efficient system which totally pwns the QWERTY system's ass, but honestly... if we changed the system now, imagine how chaotic it'd be, everyone would have to re-learn the keys.
So, although there's a much better system in theory, they won't change it because it would cause too many problems.

EDIT: dvorak, eh?

I might be interested in trying this out, to see what it's like. I'd want a different keyboard though, so I wouldn't have to rearrange all the keys on this one.
I imagine it'd be murder though... I can touch type rather fast with this, I'd hate to have to relearn it...
And if I did, I'd never be able to use any of the other keyboards around. I've only ever seen the qwerty keyboard.
I didn't have a signature until now.
Last edited by Scourge at Jan 6, 2007,
A typist with at least some experience can usually type as fast as it is possible to hear/read/think stuff to type in, anyway, so what's the point in changing what works fine as is.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by R0CKER1220
+1. Now I just want to see a Chinese keyboard. . .

Chinese keyboards are not what you expect. Chinese Keyboard have a built in program which translates chinese wording into characters. For instance, my last name is "Ng" in Cantonese (or "Wu", in Mandarin). When you type the wording in, a small dialogue pops up for you to select which type of character you mean. There isn't a language called, "Chinese" for your information. The wording, "Chinese" strictly means anything referring to China or Hong Kong. When people say Chinese, they mean either Mandarin (spoken and national language of China - spoken by people like Jet Li and Zhang Ziyi) or Cantonese, which is a dialect of Mandarin and very similar like American English and British English (spoken by nationals in Hong Kong and by people like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan). For some odd reason, cantonese people such as myself understand and speak mandarin a lot better than mandarin people attempting to speak cantonese - it's just the way it is.

On a side, the Chinese characters are pretty much the same, although there are few differences but most Chinese people can tell where the characters come from.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by Twist of fate
My penis is so large when i put it on the keyboard it streches from A-Z

A and Z are next to each other.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by Twist of fate
My penis is so large when i put it on the keyboard it streches from A-Z

Quote by GreenDayChris

Quote by Twist of fate
Yea i know, I have a small penis

HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Twist of fate
Yea i know it was an old joke

I know, I've seen it in someone's sig.

I just thought you might not have known, being an '06er n all.

Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
I think part of the reason for the organisation of keys was the all the letters for 'typewriter' are in the top line, which made it easier for salesmen to use as an example.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aww betrayed by a fellow may 06'er that'd make you a good sig

Sowwy, it was too good a chance to give up, I woulda done it to anyone.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by GreenDayChris

typical green day fan
Yea, I have tried typing with Dvorak. You can set it within your computer options. I just pulled up a google image of a Dvorak layout, and away I went. It focuses on economy, and such. Like, the most used keys are on the middle row, closer to your stronger fingers, etc.

Pretty neat, pretty hilarious. Makes you not take your Qwerty skills for granted.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by rdineen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_keyboard , my family seems to think I can type fast enough with QWERTY.

EDIT:
Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
Chinese keyboards are not what you expect. Chinese Keyboard have a built in program which translates chinese wording into characters. For instance, my last name is "Ng" in Cantonese (or "Wu", in Mandarin). When you type the wording in, a small dialogue pops up for you to select which type of character you mean. There isn't a language called, "Chinese" for your information. The wording, "Chinese" strictly means anything referring to China or Hong Kong. When people say Chinese, they mean either Mandarin (spoken and national language of China - spoken by people like Jet Li and Zhang Ziyi) or Cantonese, which is a dialect of Mandarin and very similar like American English and British English (spoken by nationals in Hong Kong and by people like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan). For some odd reason, cantonese people such as myself understand and speak mandarin a lot better than mandarin people attempting to speak cantonese - it's just the way it is.

On a side, the Chinese characters are pretty much the same, although there are few differences but most Chinese people can tell where the characters come from.

Hm. . .interesting. . .I heard someone say that it had a bunch of shift keys for multiple characters on each key .
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by Robbie n strat

Robbie always have good answers
You may not care, but on German keyboards the Y and Z are in each others places.

Proper confused me at first
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"