I need a small amp to practice while at work, but don't want a cheap sounding one. My budget is limited to around $150 and under, but the cheaper the better. The Roland Cube caught my eye, so what are your general thoughts on it?
its a great amp. good for metal.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
great amp, i have a microcube, battery powered, i highly recommend it. it's more of a high-gain amp and geared to metal music. if you're more into blues and classic rock, take a look at the vox DA5.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
yes definately get the micro cube

I borrowed one for a while and now I want one myself
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
you play at work?! what hell is your job?
Quote by AWA
Drink your own semen. It really helps.

Quote by dave_c2k2
I download my music and i traffic drugs

Quote by wannabe jesus
^ n00b, everyone knows the e is accented. Pokémon

Quote by pnblwzrd
Ummm.... Women can't invent....
Graveyard helpdesk.

How is the micro cube compared to the regular 20W cube? With a power adapter, they are close to the same price.
Any one of the Cube amps that fit your budget would work more than ok. Theyre awesome little amps. If you want effects, Microcube. If you want just amp sims, 15X.

Wait. You work AT a graveyard helpdesk or you work the graveyard SHIFT at the helpdesk? lol Either way, whatever job you have that you can sit there and jam on a Cube all you want rules!

Which is why I love my job. haha

edit- Ok some of you know some of you dont. So: I work at a music shop and when its slow in the middle of the day all I do is sit there and jam for like 2 hours.
Both the 20x and the micro cube have effects. Even though the micro cube is cheaper, by the time I add on a power adapter, it will be close to the price of the 20x, so question still stands, 20x or micro cube?

And it's the graveyard shift...
Quote by musicofthenite
great amp, i have a microcube, battery powered, i highly recommend it. it's more of a high-gain amp and geared to metal music. if you're more into blues and classic rock, take a look at the vox DA5.

I second the DA-5, and i've seen used/ sale priced Vox ad15vt's in your price range.

And Rolands are great amps. I say get the micro cube, but for no real reason it's just what I would buy.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Staz80
Both the 20x and the micro cube have effects. Even though the micro cube is cheaper, by the time I add on a power adapter, it will be close to the price of the 20x, so question still stands, 20x or micro cube?

And it's the graveyard shift...

All MicroCubes come with an adapter. If your local shop says otherwise kick em in the nuts. Because the adapter comes in the box when theyre shipped to the store. I would know lol. I unpackage new Cubes every week or so and theyre a pain!
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Any one of the Cube amps that fit your budget would work more than ok. Theyre awesome little amps. If you want effects, Microcube. If you want just amp sims, 15X.

Wait. You work AT a graveyard helpdesk or you work the graveyard SHIFT at the helpdesk? lol Either way, whatever job you have that you can sit there and jam on a Cube all you want rules!

Which is why I love my job. haha

edit- Ok some of you know some of you dont. So: I work at a music shop and when its slow in the middle of the day all I do is sit there and jam for like 2 hours.

The Micro Cube has better amp models than the 15.
IMO they're actually the best out of all the cubes.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^ Eh. I didnt hear too much of a difference. The MicroCube starts to go to hell if you turn the volume up past like 4 or 5 (out of 10)...
^Never noticed that personally on mine.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yeah its mainly on the R-Fied model. Trying to push out all that low end with the 5" speaker or whatever it is lol. Still..I want one.
Would completely reccomend a cube. If I was in need for such a practice amp the cube would be the first choice on my list.

I tried the 30w, and I am not sure if you get the same tone range and variety of effects on the micro, but by the looks of current responses to this product, the micro bears little difference.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ Eh. I didnt hear too much of a difference. The MicroCube starts to go to hell if you turn the volume up past like 4 or 5 (out of 10)...

Yeah I had tha tproblem last night, I was on full gain with volume going past 5 (6-7) and it just died...nothing turning it off then on couldnt sort out but it was weird.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
The micro cube is great.

I can't really say anything these guys havent said except for that it runs on batteries.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
If you are thinking Cube 15, get the Micro Cube, Cube 20X or 30X instead. I only say that because the 15 model has no reverb which I think was a mistake by Roland. You are really going to miss not having reverb to help make your notes sing. Now the 20X features acoustic/overdrive/distortion stompbox sims and the 30X and Micro Cube have the amp model sims. Here is a link to Roland's amp selection so you can compare features and hear sound and video samples:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=57
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
The Cubes have great distortion when going straight into... But if you ahve a multi fx in front of it it sucks a little of the distortion out.... Thats what I've found..

But I just added a slight OD and a compressor and now it sounds awesome

I definitely recommend one...
I'd have to say the Cube 20X is the way to go.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.