I'm resorting to UG because I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to write my 4 page essay that is due on monday.

For the past 2 years I've gotten 80% on most of my essays but this year in Socail Studies I've been failing all of them, and I'm a little disheartened.
Does anyone have some tips on how to write a good position paper on "How Involved the Govenment Should be in a Countries Economy"? I always make an outline that sets it up nicely and usualy follows the format of

any constructive help would be appreciated

ps. I do realize I will get minimal help here because the majority is 14 year old boys who dont have to worry about Diplomas yet
              MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
              Dude, your hair owns.
              Have a pie.

www.myspace.com/thedeathbynumbers
              i personally like to start all my essays with a little story

for ur essay i would start with a story about monopolies and how the people were mistreated and the prices were very high etc i try and put alot of detail into the intro because its the first impression

next i would end that with something like monopolies are bad and there some government intervention is a good thing (better wording)

continue to write about how monopolies are bad with more examples

then introduce the idea of how governments can be too involved

write about some examples of how they can be too involved

write your opinion on how the government should be limited but its necessary for intervention

(tip=i find repeating my ideas over and over using different words and phrases really helps)

and a conclusion sum up everything u said typically the first sentences of your paragraphs should help you out

i hope i helped

also use alot of paraphrasing and quotes (be sure to cite sources though)

good luck

o yea and im 19 and in college lol so im not some crazy 14 year old
              Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
              Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
              That definatly helped out, the story idea and gradual adding of intervention cleared up some thoughts in my head, it seems much more do-able now

thanks feenux258 !
              MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
              Dude, your hair owns.
              Have a pie.

np i find the planning of the essay is the hardest part but once u got a flow going its really easy
              Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
              Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
              The thesis is a very important part of the essay.

Here are some tips:

Start off with a generalised statement relating to the question. Refine that in the next sentence to a specific aspect of the subject. Then take a clear view on your topic (negative/affirmative). Finally, reword the topic statement given and state clearly what you will argue and how.

IMPORTANT: Make sure, if you mention something in the introductory paragraph, make sure it appears in the body.

One more thing. In the conclusion, mention how the topic and argument relates to the wider scheme of things. Also, makesure you do not make your argument too general, or you will have less space for information on the main arguents.

Sorry if this seems a little incoherent. I'm feeling sick/have hugeheadache from too much sun + booze.
              Okay like everyone else, make a general introduction statement that will catch interest while relating to your topic. Then, give a little background information that will summarize your topic. Afterward, make a thesis that will be the backbone of your paper and the points that you make (for example, the government should have little involvement with the country's economy because blah blah blah). You'll be proving your thesis throughout the paper.

After you've stated your position (your thesis), the body paragraphs are meant to prove it. For example, you can state that too much government involvement would lead to communism blah blah blah. And then the next paragraph use another point to prove your thesis. Make sure every body paragraph relates to your thesis though so you don't get off track. Oh yeah, it's important that you give examples and supporting arguments so that you don't sound like you're just giving your opinion but that you're also giving some factual details. PS, make your topic sentences in your body paragraphs very relative to your thesis. Basically, state your point and how it applies to your thesis.

Your concluding paragraph should be a summary of your paper. Review your points and arguments and how they tie back to your initial thesis. Remember to restate your thesis.

feenux258 had good points, by the way.

Hope this helped at all.
              Thanks guys, seems like we have quite the clever flok on UG!

Quote by Forcemaster
              Dude, your hair owns.
              Have a pie.

The most important thing is to tailor your work to the prof. Some people think this is a stupid thing to do, but in reality, when you get a job, you will have to tailor your work to your boss .

If your prof likes lots of references, give him lots, if he likes logical arguments, give him lots. Sometimes just the perspective from which you write your paper (ie. this is what the experts say vs this is what I think) will change your grade drastically.

Generally speaking I like to write short papers like this:

Start with a hook
              Tell them what you're going to tell them

Tell them why what you're going to tell them is important
              Tell them about it

Tell them what you told them
              Tell them how what you told them relates to each other and the subject
              End with a bang

The hardest part is the hook and the bang. A paper without those things is just another run-of-the-mill formulaic 5 paragraph essay that doesn't set you apart. If what you're talking about is important, relevant, or interesting in any way, they shouldn't even be that difficult. Just use language to create pictures!
              Just talk to them, you racist.

I used to dislike Mexicans; but if you get to know them, they are alright.
              Quote by _Mayday_
              Just talk to them, you racist.

I used to dislike Mexicans; but if you get to know them, they are alright.

ok... what?

Quote by Forcemaster
              Dude, your hair owns.
              Have a pie.