is there anything I can do to make my acoustic play hamonics easier, Or do I need difernt guitar

my acoutic is an old yamaha fg-75, sounds great but I have heck of time gettiing harmics to ring on it.....much easier to do on my elcetric guitar, even with it unplugged

I'll have an early 1930s martin d-?? in few months too. I would rather not have it so soon though. as my grandfather is undergoing chemo for esophugus cancer, and its not looking good for him. he bought it new and still plays it, I had the whole fret board re built for him a few years back. the neck is perfectly straight and theres barely a scratch or mark on it even after 70+ years.
Are you sure you're playing the harmonics correctly? And which type doesn't sound good on the acoustic?
Quote by RedTears
Are you sure you're playing the harmonics correctly? And which type doesn't sound good on the acoustic?

Im just goofing around with it more than anything..nothing specific Im trying to do.

I can get them come out with flat dull sound, but I cant get good ring on any other fret expt the 12th, but then the 12th is always easy to get

i can get a good harmoninc ring wiht my unpluged elctric much easier in many more positions up the fret bord.

mediium strings on the acoustic
light strings on electric ( it a hondo, gibson sg replica)
Last edited by roasted at Jan 6, 2007,
on the higher strings its harder tp pull off the harms.
lower strigns its easier ...

all in all ... i find it very diffiucly to get the harms. i want on time, i think it needs more accuracy & practise to get those harm. on acoustic than an electric
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Some guitars are just naturally going to have weak harmonics, especially when you compare them to the harmonics you can get on your electric, or your high end classical.

All guitars were not built equal :|
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by roasted
is there anything I can do to make my acoustic play hamonics easier, Or do I need difernt guitar

my acoutic is an old yamaha fg-75, sounds great but I have heck of time gettiing harmics to ring on it.....much easier to do on my elcetric guitar, even with it unplugged

I'll have an early 1930s martin d-?? in few months too. I would rather not have it so soon though. as my grandfather is undergoing chemo for esophugus cancer, and its not looking good for him. he bought it new and still plays it, I had the whole fret board re built for him a few years back. the neck is perfectly straight and theres barely a scratch or mark on it even after 70+ years.

well first of all, and most importantly, best of luck to your grandfather.

on topic, i play a lot of harmonics on my acoustic guitar, and i mean a lot! i have been developing my technique for quite a long while, and for a few quick tips off the top of my head heres what i can offer, however im sure there will be articles on this around the web and in print.

1) Firstly, i find that where you pick can have a profound effect on the quality and clarity of your harmonic response. when striking a harmonic on either the high E or B, i find that if you pick (or pluck, see point 2) the string closer to the bridge you get a better response. approximately half way between the bridge and the start of the sound hole works well for me. As for the Low E, A, D and G, (usually the wound strings) i find bringing your contact a little closer toward the neck helps. 1/4 or half way across the sound hole for example. This is obviously not true for all guitar builds or playing styles, but worth a go.

2) depending on the song you are playing, you will usually either be using a pick, or not, and this has a big effect on the acoustic guitars harmonics. i find playing with my hands (fingers) more natural for most of the time on acoustic. the point of this is that if you 'pluck' rather than 'pick' the note (string), the you will have greater control and ultimately you will be able to be more forceful. this is key, as the harder you pluck, the more response you will get, (obviously not always appropriate to slam them out, but you see the point.)

3) check your guitar is properly intonated, which it probably is. however a professional set up can really help with tonal response.

4) choose your strings well. i use Ernie Ball Earthwood (lights), which usually get disregarded but i find them very nice for my style. also old rank / dirty / dusty / greasy / damaged strings will have a bad response for obvious reasons.

5) technique is very important as always. make sure you pull off on the very second you strike it, this will give you the 'ring' you are looking for. you can play harmonics in a zillion different ways, im sure there will be some good lessons around the web if your unsure on your theory. Make sure your placing your left hand right over the fret wire etc...

lastly that Martin will be an amazing windfall, and you gotta take the best of care of it!

i hope these points help, if you have any other questions then please ask and ill try my best.

Tim Orme Esq
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.