ok so im makinga guitar from scratch ive never done anything with building guitars but i have some experience with wood working. im basically making a tom delonge fender in either sonic blue or surf green. i will be making it left handed. i ordered all thepartsand was wondering about finishing it. ive been reading for the past week or so and it seems like finishing it will be ahuge project(using the aerosal cans from reranch). so i have a few questions.
1.how long does the paint take to dry.
2. how many coats of color are needed on average
3. and i read something about it taking a long time to dry the clear coat. is that just the final clear coat that you let dry for like 2 weeks or something.
It really depends on the paint!!!
if you use cans ~ oh god ~ just read the back of it !
good luck ~then when you are not satisfied with it take it to some one who paints for a ?living and have it done professonally
spray paint dries in a couple of hours ~ usually let it dry over night , depends on the weather ! hot it is faster it dries
colder the slower
claer coats need to be tacky before applying the next coat, 2 to 3 coats do good
then wait over night to wet sand it and buf it ,to make it look real good !
i just used regular spray paint for my strat project (real strat, not a squier) it worked well, only took about 5 minutes for each coat to dry, though i shoulda let it dry longer
wouldnt it be nicer if i actually went through the steps on reranch cause i want a good finish if im putting alot of time into making the guitar
Yeah follow the reranch steps.

color coats usually take about 15 minutes to flash, then cure in about.

For color coats I normally set in about 6 thin coats.

And yes, the final clear, right before buffing will need to be set aside for at least 2 weeks but a month or 2 is recommended for the lacquer to cure. Then you can buff.
Keep in mind after 2 weeks the finish will still be VERY soft and it will be very sensitive to anything that is set on it, and will pick up imprints of your jeans and such if you dont' allow the paint to cure enough before putting it together. To check if the paint has cured enough just smell the body, if it still smells like paint then it isn't cured yet.
Quote by TonyRandall
i just used regular spray paint for my strat project (real strat, not a squier) it worked well, only took about 5 minutes for each coat to dry, though i shoulda let it dry longer

After you coated it in spray paint, did you spray anything over it? If you did, can you tell me what? I'm just wondering.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate