I'm pretty new to the whole Acoustic-Electric thing. And I'm considering getting one, but I want to research some first. Which means I have many questions. So here they go.

I've seen them with the EQ setup, but no input/pickup on them. What does that mean?

Would you need a special amp for the acoustic? Or would you be able to play it through a regular guitar/bass amp?

Whats a dreadnought acoustic?

Do you still use bronze strings for the acoustic-electric?

I have more but I can't think of them right now hehe. So help would be awesome.
there a pickup under the bridge
output jack is located on the bottom strap peg
no need for a special amp ... but its highly recommended for bettr sound
dreadnaught is a standard shape ... no cutaway, Oo shape (not 100% sure)
same strings are used
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Wow, thanks.

Ok, so i have around 200$ to spend, heopfully a little cheaper, (since I don't have a job haha). Im looking for something with low action (ofcourse) with a pretty crispy sound. What pickups are good?
you wont get a good acoustic/electric for that price ...
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by TinTin8
dreadnaught is a standard shape ... no cutaway, Oo shape (not 100% sure)

Actually dreadnaught refers to the size of the guitar, and you can have one with a cutaway. Dreadnaughts are bigger than concerts, smaller than jumbos. It's generally the guitar of choice for acoustic rock.

For $200, you're much better off getting a regular acoustic and mic'ing it. The electronics alone cost about $100, so you're left with a pickup in a crappy guitar.

The big problem with running an acoustic thru a regular guitar amp is feedback. Acoustic amps generally have some sort of system in place to reduce or eliminate it.

A stratacoustic is useful for Pete Townsend impersonations, that's about it.

You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Acoustic amps also have a greater frequency range.

I tell people not to shop for an electric acoustic. Stock electronics are usually overpriced crap that need to be replaced the second you get your guitar home. You wouldn't beleive how many threads we see where somebody says "I just got my electric acoustic that cost me $400 last week and it sounded good in the store but at home I can hear half the strings when I plug it in." Typically what happend was the guitar didn't sound good at the store, they thought it sounded good but there was too much background noise, or the room they were playing in was too big. The reason they couldn't here some strings is because the electronics were crap and\or installed wrong.

Use your $200 to get a good SOLID TOP guitar and save a little money so that in a couple months you can get a good pickup.

If you are playing through an electric guitar amp then you will most likely want a magnetic soundhole pickup. These sound the least "acoustic" but they are high gain which means they will match the imputs on your electric guitar amp.

If you are playing through an acoustic amp then you will most likely want an undersaddle transducer. These sound a little more natural than the magnetic pickups but they feedback a little more too. These pickups are low gain and that makes them sound dead through an electric guitar amp.

If you are playing through a PA then you will want to look at sound board transducers. These have the most acoustic tone but they feedback the most too. They are low gain so they don't sound good through an electric amp. They sound great through an acoustic amp but most acoustic amps do not have the frequency responce that a PA has so your pickup will outperform your amp. That doesn't hurt anything, it just means you won't sound as good as you could.
Not taking any online orders.
Feedback is an issue if you have the cheaper mini mic pickup (in the body of the guitar), but not so much with the peizo under bridge style. However, if you turn any audio input device too high it will feedback.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?