Hi, ive been plaing for about 5 months and i decided to make a practice schedule (finally) because i felt that im barely improving and fool around too much. Ive impoved (of course) But i wanted to make a "quality practice time". So here it is:

1)Warmup/stretch- 10 minutes
Here, i stretch and get warmed up. I use the warmup similar to Petrucci's warmup from his DVD, with some of my own. Simple enough.

2) Scales- 30 minutes
Ive been reading in the forums quite a bit, and a lot of them are based on scales. So i realized how important scales are. Im this time, I try to learn new scales.

3) Technique- 1 hour
This is where i put all my licks and scales together and try to speed them up with a metronome of course . I use this one:
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
Here, i also try to improve my picking technique, like alt. picking. I try to improve my tapping, hammer-ons and pulloffs, as well as learning new techniques like sweeping.

4) Theory- 30 minutes
Where you any musician be wthout theory? I mean, you gotta knw theory to write a song right? So here, i learn and understand as much theory as I could. I use this website a lot:
http://cyberfret.com/
Can someone confirm if that is an ok website to learn from. Of course, I also use UG's lessons .

5) Tabs- 30 minutes
Here, I try to learn some songs, or parts of songs, speed them up, and if possible, borrow some of the licks used in the songs, and add them into my LICK BOOK

6) Play along- 20 minutes
Here, i play along to the songs I learned, like Enter Sandman (solo, not quite full speed yet). Here, I just have fun .

7) Jam/ Improvise- 20 minutes
Here, i improvise a song, make up my own stuff, etc. Thanks S0ulja23

Well, thats all I got for now. Feel free to make any revisions. Please comment my schedule, give advises, etc. Thanks guys.

PS: Never talked so professional in my life
Last edited by pnoy_sk8er21 at Jan 6, 2007,
Sounds good, although you may wanna put some Jam time/Improv time.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Sounds pretty good, but do you think you can keep up a 3 hr practice session every day after only 5 months of playing?

Things like this tend to be exciting and fun for the first week or so, then start to get boring....

But good luck!
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Hey man... sounds better than what I do... I just learn stuff by learning heaps of songs and then they have an influence on me, but ofcourse I learn other stuff like scales etc... Instead of a tab though, you might wanna make some blank tabs in powertab, its so much easier and neater than ruling them up in notebooks :P
To S0ulja23, thanks. I will put that. How about 30 minutes? I trying to make my schedule less than 4 hours, because i have school.

TO doomnight, thanks. Never thought of that. Ill do that now
^Maybe just 20, I usually just jam most of the time, for fun.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
Hi, ive been plaing for about 5 months and i decided to make a practice schedule (finally) because i felt that im barely improving and fool around too much. Ive impoved (of course) But i wanted to make a "quality practice time". So here it is:

1)Warmup/stretch- 10 minutes
Here, i stretch and get warmed up. I use the warmup similar to Petrucci's warmup from his DVD, with some of my own. Simple enough.

2) Scales- 30 minutes
Ive been reading in the forums quite a bit, and a lot of them are based on scales. So i realized how important scales are. Im this time, I try to learn new scales.

3) Technique- 1 hour
This is where i put all my licks and scales together and try to speed them up with a metronome of course . I use this one:
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
Here, i also try to improve my picking technique, like alt. picking. I try to improve my tapping, hammer-ons and pulloffs, as well as learning new techniques like sweeping.

4) Theory- 30 minutes
Where you any musician be wthout theory? I mean, you gotta knw theory to write a song right? So here, i learn and understand as much theory as I could. I use this website a lot:
http://cyberfret.com/
Can someone confirm if that is an ok website to learn from. Of course, I also use UG's lessons .

5) Tabs- 30 minutes
Here, I try to learn some songs, or parts of songs, speed them up, and if possible, borrow some of the licks used in the songs, and add them into my LICK BOOK

6) Play along- 20 minutes
Here, i play along to the songs I learned, like Enter Sandman (solo, not quite full speed yet). Here, I just have fun .

7) Jam/ Improvise- 20 minutes
Here, i improvise a song, make up my own stuff, etc. Thanks S0ulja23

Well, thats all I got for now. Feel free to make any revisions. Please comment my schedule, give advises, etc. Thanks guys.

PS: Never talked so professional in my life

Thats like a whole day mainly practicing the boring stuff? I know what im saying is wrong but i never really practice scales or care about music theory....

Heres my practice schedule (any guitarist would agree it is tottally fuc*ed up but im self taught and only took one half hour lesson):

1- 10 minutes of practicing speed busters

2- 5 minutes of just randomly playing stuff

3- 30 minutes of playing tabs

4- About 10 minutes of playalong

5- half an hour on UG (that doesnt count

I do this more than once a day

I can expect what your comments are gonna be
Quote by RHCP94
Green Day should be so proud that there band is better than a bunch of 16 year olds.................medals anyone?

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Gotta love ticked off metal heads.

JAMMER-91

Hare Krishna
lol try and learn steve vais 10 hour workout
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
5) Tabs- 30 minutes

I suggest either another 30 mins after that or replacing that with figuring out song(s) yourself, without tabs or sheet music.
I think you also need to put in a bit of time recording yourself each day - like improvising or something like that. Try recording some chord progs and soloing over them as well. With recording yourself you can really hear what you sound like.