I currently use a mesa recitifier, and the other guitarist in my band plays a mode four, Ive heard the road king has a *spongy* setting on it, that kind of gets rid of that mesa tightness, my question is how spongy is spongy, will it blend well with his Mode four? does the sound get close to marshall distortion? i dont really want to get a mode four, i swear by mesa and feel like ill burn in hell if i buy a marshall *nothing against the company, they make great amps, i just dont want one if i can get around it*
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
i have an early mesa solo rectifier, it has vintage and modern, but the vintage just sounds like a mid ridden weaker version of the modern sound.
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
On the back there should be a switch for Tube Rectification<>SS Rectification as well as a switch for Bold/Spongy.

Unless its a Single Recto...
Yeah there's a little switch on the back panel... it is near the power cable on mine, but I'm not sure about a regular dual or triple.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
yeah its single i just said that, thats why im askin about the road king.
Quote by bluesychris
I personally dont really like the Spongy sound on my Recto. If Im playing classic stuff...ehhhh maybe. Makes it too, idk...just dont like it. It really doesnt make THAT MUCH of a difference anyways. IMO, not a lot of stuff mixes well with the Mode Four because it doesnt sound good lol. You have the WAY nicer amp of the two, if youre considering to change amps based on his tone...I wouldnt do it. I would make HIM change is amp to blend with yours.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
You have the WAY nicer amp of the two, if youre considering to change amps based on his tone...I wouldnt do it. I would make HIM change is amp to blend with yours.
+1
Quote by Dirk Gently
If you want Marshall sound from a Boogie, buy a Stiletto.

yeah. and even that still sounds like a mesa...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I You have the WAY nicer amp of the two, if youre considering to change amps based on his tone...I wouldnt do it. I would make HIM change is amp to blend with yours.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
alright i appreciate the responses i think i might just buy the mode four and keep my rectifier aswell.
Quote by bluesychris
Quote by Guitarmiester
Buy a Mode Four?! If you're going to go for a Marshall, at least get something decent.
+1
Quote by zed leppelin
alright i appreciate the responses i think i might just buy the mode four and keep my rectifier aswell.

Sooo nothing I said went through? lol

Ok. Dude. The Mode Four blows, IMO..as well as most everyones opinion on here lol. Seriously, if you want a good Marshall check into the DSL100 for heavier stuff. Or a JCM900 for all around stuff.

edit- btw. I personally think Mesas blend very nicely with Marshalls. Try not scooping the hell out of your mids (assuming you do).
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Sooo nothing I said went through? lol

Apparently not

If you're seriously deciding on downgrading to a Mode Four, you can always send the Recto. my way.
O.K., what's the actual difference between a Mesa Dual Rectifier, and a Road King?
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Besides the $1200 or so?

A lot of stuff. A LOT of stuff .

Check out Mesa's website for all the info. The Road King pwns. IMO. I wanted one really really bad...but I could afford it..
I STILL haven't tried a Road King, yet! Not a single Mesa dealer I've been to, so far, has been willing to let one of those beasts sit in the store!? When I find one in a shop, I can guarrante I (or anyone else that will be in the store) will be able to hear for about 1-3 hours.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7753667#post7753667

I'd explain it again but its a lot to type lol. Or just go to the the mesa website and look.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
^^ Dude. I almost bought the Road King with a Recto cab. I played on it in the store for an hour straight. They closed and let me chill and crank it. I could make it sound exactly like my Triple Recto in modern mode. And I could also get damn near my JCM900 sound. So, I might sell my Triple after I pay it off and then get a Road King. Hopefully..
Well I'll be...... I think I'll stick with my Dual Rec... more cash for another channel a Lonestar clean? Along with the little things I don't care for... I still want the Diezel VH4.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
In the next five years or so I think Im gunna get an Orange AD30 halfstack and a Soldano Decatone halfstack.

/spam lol
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^^ Dude. I almost bought the Road King with a Recto cab. I played on it in the store for an hour straight. They closed and let me chill and crank it. I could make it sound exactly like my Triple Recto in modern mode. And I could also get damn near my JCM900 sound. So, I might sell my Triple after I pay it off and then get a Road King. Hopefully..

The local shop I used to live by, I knew the guys really well, they'd let me take any amp into one of the back isolated rooms and try amp after amp. That was nice. When I was shopping for a possible combo amp in August/September, one of the Guitar Center's I stopped in (usually have at least one or two decent used amps) actually let me stay in after they closed the doors and were cleaning up. I got there alittle before they closed and they let me crank a used JCM900, used B52 AT100 combo, and forget what else I tried at that location. Not many stores let you even turn the volume up to 1, which sucks.
I let people in my store if its not busy.

When Im working, it mainly depends on how good they are.

If they butcher Smells Like Teen Spirit or Master of Puppets...they get a 1 on the volume.

If the can nail Vai and Satch...they get to crank it.
One of the guys at the local store I lived by was a big Vai fan, so I'd always start off with The Audience Is Listening. Sure enough, he'd wander from the back, outside or behind the counter and either talk for a while or pick up a guitar and jam. I've heard more kids butcher classic rock songs than Nirvana (but, I'm not a Nirvana fan at all, probably wouldn't recognize most of their stuff.)

Threadstarted: Are you seriously downgrading to a Mode Four? I'm really curious, mainly since it's such a horrible move. But, I guess it's all preference...