When I play, I usually tuck my index and pinky under the high e string (unless I'm playing that string obviously).

Is it a bad habit? It feels more comfortable for me. Could it be because I play a V (ish) shaped guitar and it is sticking up in the air?

EDIT: I only do it on relatively slow parts.
R E G G A E
Last edited by willpulman_172 at Jan 6, 2007,
Do you mean like... actually UNDER the string itself? If so, that's probably the weirdest thing I've ever heard of...
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
As in, sort of against it. If I did it and applied more pressure, it would push the high e towards the b string, but I just lay it there and don't apply pressure.
R E G G A E
As long as it works for you and you don't find your fingers getting in the way, there's nothing wrong with it.
Ok, but when I get better and if I stayed in the habit is there a chance it could hinder my playing speed wise?
R E G G A E
thats called anchoring. dave mustaine does it i believe, as do i. its not a 'bad' habit as such.

i don't see anything wrong with it, i think it just gives that bit more stability in the picking hand - though it comes naturally.
Whatever is most comfortable for you... If it doesn't work then don't do it.
It's called anchoring and there have been numerous threads about it, saying it's bad. Look at the archives of best threads.

Or, in short: Stop doing it
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
i have a habit of when doing a barre chord usually or a stretched chord shape that my elbow will tuck in slightly and my left hand adjusts a bit aswell is this a bad habit or is it a common thing ps i am quite small if that ahs anything to do with it lol
Quote by elvenkindje
It's called anchoring and there have been numerous threads about it, saying it's bad. Look at the archives of best threads.

Or, in short: Stop doing it

+ 100 million
kinda one of the weirder things I've heard of. (I think I used to do it, though i did it the other way around for some odd reason, the low e string, don't ask) any way it might hinder your playing later, so you might aswell try not to do it. It will likely strengthen your hand slightly if you don't rest it against the guitar at all and should speed up ur picking if you don't do any more.

^ another terrible explaination by pepsi

pepsi