Alright guys and gals, I've got a question to a technique which I don't quite understand...to which I am slightly ashamed to admit.

I'm sure its probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so here goes: How exactly do you do pinch harmonics on a bass? I know vaguely how to do them on a guitar on a hit-or-miss basis, but when I hear about them implemented on a bass, I find myself at a loss.

Some pointers on this technique, if possible, would be greatly appreciated.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
1) fret the note you want to play.
2) put ur first finger of ur plucking hand touching an octave above the fretted note on the same string), this might be on a fret but most of the time it isnt, and it takes practise and 'getting to know ur instrument' that you understand where those 'octaves' are.
3) pluck the string (with probably ur ring finger, it should be the right length). as you pluck, lift ur first finger off the octave. this should all be one swift movement.

tadaaa
i need to get a better signature.
You could also use your thumb on where the octave would be, and then play with all your fingers.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
1) fret the note you want to play.
2) put ur first finger of ur plucking hand touching an octave above the fretted note on the same string), this might be on a fret but most of the time it isnt, and it takes practise and 'getting to know ur instrument' that you understand where those 'octaves' are.
3) pluck the string (with probably ur ring finger, it should be the right length). as you pluck, lift ur first finger off the octave. this should all be one swift movement.

tadaaa

nobody's going to beat that explanation.
Alright, I think I got that. Although, I think its very odd compared to what a guitar does....but whatever works does fine for me. Thanks.

Also, I'm supposing that the octave of the note played on the same string is above the twelfth fret, which is an octave above the open string.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Well, on guitar you do it by striking your thumb against the string when you hit it with a pick (Can also be done on bass to an extent), but the way Matt described is how Jaco did it, which is useful for fingerstyle.
haha
I've tried with a pick, but found it really difficult, if not impossible just because of the string type. Since I play primarily with a pick, I think I could improvise a way to play pinch with the aforementioned technique....that would be pretty sweet.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
jaco uses his thumb. he does it on his instructional video... index and middle to pluck
Well sometimes I use the other technique for getting certain harmonics.

It's kind of hard for me to explain. Use normal plucking technique, then place your fretting finger directly on top of a fret, for example the 12th fret. Mute the string lightly with the fretting finger when you pluck. A clear note should ring out. The will be the same as you actually fretting the 12th. Try the same thing on lower frets like the 5th and 7th. I picked this up while learning Amazing Grace by Victor Wooten. Check out the video on youtube or something.
Sorry if it's hard to understand. Maybe others could help me out?

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
Well sometimes I use the other technique for getting certain harmonics.

It's kind of hard for me to explain. Use normal plucking technique, then place your fretting finger directly on top of a fret, for example the 12th fret. Mute the string lightly with the fretting finger when you pluck. A clear note should ring out. The will be the same as you actually fretting the 12th. Try the same thing on lower frets like the 5th and 7th. I picked this up while learning Amazing Grace by Victor Wooten. Check out the video on youtube or something.
Sorry if it's hard to understand. Maybe others could help me out?

....That's natural harmonics, and the most basic harmonies one could play. Technically, you could harmonic over every single fret; they just don't sound out very well or at all. The most prominent harmonics happen over the dotted frets (i.e., 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, and so on). A beginner concept, really. Hope that helps.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Actually you cannot fret any note and sound a string. You can only fret on the node points of the string. if you touch an anti-node point you will never get a harmonic ringing out. false harmonics basically just move that node/anti-node structure up. the harmonics are still in ther same place, they always will be - you just have to know that you are creating a new string length, so apply what you know about harmonics to your new sized string. i find with false harmonics the hard part for me is know where note i am now going to get.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first, but I put it into the wrong words...Thanks for the explanation on the false harmonics though Applehead. That put it into a better light for me.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt