thinking about gettin my tele re-fretted but not sure how much it is? and i'm too lazy to ring up a shop.
POST FINDER
Gonna be different depending on your shop and your guitar. Just call them and find out, not that big of a chore.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Ring them up Only way to find out there price lol. They could be totally different from what everyone says on here.
Is the fret board, that is, the wood surface between the frets lacquered ?

Price is variable depending on:

- is neck work, repairs necessary ? ( depends on the kind of fretboard wood (rosewood or maple), fretboard dryness, or rather brittleness, it's predisposition to chip when frets are pulled out )

- straightness of the neck ? more or less sanding/shaving the fretboard

Expect a $80 - $120 base price for a easy to perform (including some moderate sanding), full neck professional refretting job + $20- $30 fretwire cost.

For a +20 year, brittle fretboard (generally rosewood on acoustics), add $40 - $50, plus anything between $10 to $20 bucks for each fretboard chip repair.

Add another $40 - $50 if neck-straightening shaving is necessary.

If you're going after the same kind and same gauge of fretwire, if fret height allows it, if that fretwire is available, and if no neck work is necessary (neck is perfectly straight, that is not warped, and has moderate relief), skilled luthiers are now able to offer you partial refretting (top 5, 7 or 9 frets) for roughly $50 - $80 plus $10 to $20 fretwire.

To give you an idea of the amount of work and expertise a professional refretting job involves, check out Rich Beck's Fret Guide .
Last edited by ColdGin at Jan 6, 2007,
I asked PMT in Southend a few months ago coz I had some buzzing, they said it would be between £100 and £150.....so I decided to just live with the buzzing haha.
I've got a problem with one fret in particular. It's a new guitar though, like... only several days old.
Quote by Cyclotoolica
I asked PMT in Southend a few months ago coz I had some buzzing, they said it would be between £100 and £150.....so I decided to just live with the buzzing haha.

PMT are box pushers. They could sell hi-fi, cameras, toasters, it wouldn't make a difference to them.
Have they even looked at your guitar ?
I asked that to my guitar repairman, and he told me $200..so I was like..nah, I'd rather have the buzzing.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by Shwa123
I've got a problem with one fret in particular. It's a new guitar though, like... only several days old.

Take it back to the store and try to exchange for a new one.

The quotes I usually get are usually $250 for older (70's/80's) necks. Except this guy over charges a little but he does a great job so to me it's worth it (another shop in town does it for 200).
Quote by Joranges

The quotes I usually get are usually $250 for older (70's/80's) necks. Except this guy over charges a little but he does a great job so to me it's worth it (another shop in town does it for 200).

Make sure you talk *direct* to the luthier or to a shop that maintains a workshop.

Box pushers have the bad habit of handing the job to independent luthiers and charge $50, even $100 extra for their middleman's fee.