Which of these should I get? I will be playing mostly metal. I am leaning towards the Peavey Rage 258 since it is 10W higher than the Spider and only $20 more, but Im not sure if 25W would be overkill for mainly just bedroom practice. (Note, these are both SS amps)

I am pretty much set on one of these two amps and my budget is $120 max, so please recommend one of these choices. Thank you.
People will probably say the Peavey, but why not try them out yourself?

I actually liked the Spider III, it's a HUGE improvement over the Spider II,
But the Peavey is quite nice to.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Hmm, I don't really know where I could try them out. I was gonna buy it online. No guitar stores near me that I know of. Probably none that would carry both of these amps.
get something like a valve practise amp
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
What about a Roland Micro Cube? If you only need it for bedroom practice it should be fine.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by treagar
What made you decide on these 2?

Well, the price is nice first off...Secondly, I like the Spider's built in effects. Thirdly, I am interested in solid state amps.
Quote by SSL27
What about a Roland Micro Cube? If you only need it for bedroom practice it should be fine.

Thanks, but there is no way i'm paying $125 for something that tiny. Space is not an issue for me.
My first amp was a Peavey 158 (i'm guessing the 258 is the same but more powerful) and i thought it was ok but not great. The clean channel was quite good but the lead channel was fuzzy and muddy imo. I'd go with the line 6.

EDIT: if your planning on using a distortion pedal in front of the amp i'd probably go with the Peavey, as my old amp took to pedals quite well
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Jan 6, 2007,
peavey over the spider. but id recommend the microcube.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Thank you all for your recommendations, but like I said, I am not interested in a microcube at all right now. Definitely not for the price i'm seeing on those things. It is too small.

Anyway, I am thinking the Line 6 would be best for me since I:

a) am a beginner
b) would really enjoy being able to have effects
c) don't quite have the most discerning ear. As long as something sounds pretty metal, I'm happy

Given these details about me, would you still advise against the Spider?
Yeah, its a pile of shit. And im too tired to get into it.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
People on this forum will advise you against Spider no matter what, because Line 6 is about as popular as witches during the Spanish Inquisition times here. But, stupidity aside, Spiders are excellent beginner practice amps. You'll be able to try out all sorts of amp and effect models, and you'll have an idea as to what you want/should buy next, and you'll won't get bored as fast with your guitar since you'll have so much stuff to try out. Not to mention their sound doesn't suck nearly as bad as everyone here claims it does.

I say go for the Spider.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Well anything else in that range sucks, and the Micro Cube is about the only decent thing, so you either get some complete shit Line 6 Spider or you get a quality Cube. Your choice.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by ar73m
People on this forum will advise you against Spider no matter what, because Line 6 is about as popular as witches during the Spanish Inquisition times here. But, stupidity aside, Spiders are excellent beginner practice amps. You'll be able to try out all sorts of amp and effect models, and you'll have an idea as to what you want/should buy next, and you'll won't get bored as fast with your guitar since you'll have so much stuff to try out. Not to mention their sound doesn't suck nearly as bad as everyone here claims it does.

I say go for the Spider.

Thank you!

The SPIDER III IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AMP THE THE LESS THAT GREAT SPIDER II!!!

IT'S ALOT BETTER!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Thank you all for your recommendations, but like I said, I am not interested in a microcube at all right now. Definitely not for the price i'm seeing on those things. It is too small.

Anyway, I am thinking the Line 6 would be best for me since I:

a) am a beginner
b) would really enjoy being able to have effects
c) don't quite have the most discerning ear. As long as something sounds pretty metal, I'm happy

Given these details about me, would you still advise against the Spider?

well, if your just a beginner wanting an amp, then go for it. get the spider. just dont come to us when you start complaining a year from now.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Roland cubes/vox cubes > the amps that you're suggesting.

Check em' out.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by treagar
Get a Roland Cube 15

Hmm, I just looked up the Roland Cube 15 and see that its only $99 at guitar center. I must've overlooked this. I also notice it has a metal and metal stack setting on the lead channel. Is this thing really that good? Would it be better to get this over the Peavey Rage 258?

If the Cube series is really that good I may just save up and buy the Cube 20 for $159 because it has built in effects like the Line 6. Hmm, decisions, decisions...

EDIT: I just watched the demo video on Roland's website and I am pretty impressed. Much more impressed than I was witht he Spider III. Perhaps it is worth the extra $60
Last edited by LordBattlecrisp at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by 2112swartz
well, if your just a beginner wanting an amp, then go for it. get the spider. just dont come to us when you start complaining a year from now.

I have good news, I think I am going to go for the Roland Cube 20. I watched some youtube videos of people with Cubes and it sounds awesome. I watched the demo on Roland's website too, and it was impressive. I am glad people on this board opened my eyes to Roland. Seems like they are perfect for metal.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
I have good news, I think I am going to go for the Roland Cube 20. I watched some youtube videos of people with Cubes and it sounds awesome. I watched the demo on Roland's website too, and it was impressive. I am glad people on this board opened my eyes to Roland. Seems like they are perfect for metal.

Yeah, it's a real good SS amp for metal. Especially at that price!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R