As stated, I am a guitarist, not a bassist. Can anyone tell me why your standard powerchord that sounds great on guitar sounds crap on bass?
Because, generally bass is used for singles notes, or its own group of chords that are made diffrently (I think, Im just a guitarist who hangs around the bass forum for kicks, and to learn) to sound good on bass.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
because lets say you strum an E5 chord from the bottom strings, (well i dont know WHY but) its so low that the sounds somehow become muffled. try playing them one octave higher than you generally would and theyll sound fine
I think a bass' four strings are the same as a guitar's four bottom strings except and octave lower. So if you try to play a power chord on bass it will be an octave lower making it sound bad.
I think it is because bass amps arent designed to blend the notes. Also, the strings on a guitar are much thinner, meaning they vibrate alot faster then bass strings which make the notes blend alot better on guitar.
If you play bass chords further up the neck, like furhter than the 7th fret, bass chords can sound really good
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Because the world already has too many rhythm guitarists?

Its the same reason chords sound muddy on the lower keys of a piano. With out getting to much in the science it has to do with the length of the sound wave and relative vibration of a low vs higher notes. Or to echo the above, it sounds muddy.
but i still think it has to do with baby jesus as perker_muse said
the srtings vidbrate too low for them to sound good.

after the 12th fret they tend to sound passable

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
lets combine both anti-threadstarter posts.
1.Because you touch yourself at night.
2.Because you hate the baby jesus.

1+2= Because you touch the baby jesus at night...

Am i going to hell?
Possibly.

Unless you call your nob the baby jesus.

Which is just blasphemy.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
It's just too deep and it sounds like... BLAHHHHHHH.

If you go up an Octave higher or so. Past the twelth fret. It will sound a little better and much more different than a power chord.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by anarkee
Because the world already has too many rhythm guitarists?

Its the same reason chords sound muddy on the lower keys of a piano. With out getting to much in the science it has to do with the length of the sound wave and relative vibration of a low vs higher notes. Or to echo the above, it sounds muddy.

Yep, plus you don't need to go up 12 frets, they sound decent on the D and G strings, ala when the bass comes in in the song always by blink-182.
Chords sound bad just because the lower notes just blend together and sound horrible. Most chords don't sound too bad on the upper strings though...
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Im more evil then a blasphemous lad that calls his nob the baby jesus and whacks him off every now and then untill hes sick:P
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Either way it's still fun to play lower register chords on bass and shake your house. Haha.