WEll I've only been playing guitar about a year, I'm alright-quite good and my fave 2 bands at the moment are Lostrprophets and Muse... I'm looking for a couple of effects pedals that would suit my taste, I've got a double muff (it's alright I suppose) and a Z Vex Vexter series Fuzz Factory.
a chorus? overdrive and/or distortion? flanger maybe? Can't really say, it's what you think is missing from your sound...
Just it sounds a bit... well bland I suppose.
I'm playin "Hello Again" alot by Lostprophets these days, should I get an Echo for that? And what exactly do Flangers and Chorus pedals do? Sorry I'm thick :P
A multi effects unit maybe?

A Digitech RP80 is what I still use.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
you gotta have a wah at some point
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
Maybe a Boss ME50, good for the price and also a good introduction to all those wierd effects like rotary etc.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I still use the Digitech GNX1

It's an old model but it works...

Chorus makes your "one" guitar sound like two guitars when you set that effect on...

And Flange is kinda like a swirlie, "wah-wahy" sound..(sorry, very undescriptive :P)
I espicially like the flanger...

I dunno what kind of music Lost Prophets is or anything...but I like using multi-effects boxes, cuz its easier for stupid people like me to figure out, and its all compressed into one a little (not so little) box...

Oh yes! And the GNX1 has a pretty cool wah-wah pedal (in my opinion)

All of this is coming from a guitar player who has played less than a year so I dont know alot. But that's what I think those effects and stuff do....

-Danny
Multi-Effects pedals are usually more artificial-sounding then regular pedals. Beware of them!

All you really need is Distortion, Chorus, and maybe a Wah.
Id say distortion wah and phaser but chorus would also be a good choice.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Well, with things like Phasers, Flagers, etc., it-to me- becomes pointless. Sure, that Flanger is really nice and all, but so you really want to spend $100 or more for something thats not always a central part of your sound?

I buy effects pedals only when its something I really need and will use often.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by Jimbo999
Maybe a Boss ME50, good for the price and also a good introduction to all those wierd effects like rotary etc.

I second that recommendation. Great effects, lots of delay, many different distortions, regular effects, weird effects, and lots more.
New Rush album in 2007! Can't wait!
People say multi effects pedals sound fake, but when I compare the distortion on the ME50 to my EHX and Boss OD pedal they sound just as good. The ME50 wah is supposed to be weak but my friends Crybaby is the same and its a lot better value than individual pedals (3 of them about £150) and the ME50 about £170. It also has a noise gate so the buzzing isnt there.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

cheers guys but as you know, christmas has just passed so i dont have much money... my birthday is on the 31st of jan so if theres any really good, quality cheap pedals to suit my playing and taste... i was looking at behringer chorus pedals. yay or nay?
^Yeh, wont be the best chorus you've ever heard but tweek the settings for a bit and you'll get the sound you want out of it.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

I'd get a phaser, maybe an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone or an MXR phase 90

Muse Idolisation Brotherhood
Quote by ponnightingale
btw if it matters any I play an Epiphone G-400 into a Marshall CDR-15 or something.

Yeh Id sound good with those. The Marshall is great at practice volume and teh Epiphone would sound great through a chorus.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

cheers, ill convince my mum to part with the cash...
a behringer chorus pedal you say? and it gives you a thicker sound, like two guitars?
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

For me, the essential pedals are Distortion/Wah/Delay.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Quote by ponnightingale
a behringer chorus pedal you say? and it gives you a thicker sound, like two guitars?

Adds a kind of swirl and can give a thicker softer sound (you'll have to tweak it to the sound you like). For a song with chorus - Nirvana Come as You Are.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

cheers pal, ill get a chorus pedal! know of any more god songs with a chorus pedal in them?

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

not sure, try adding it to random songs to make them sound thickers.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by ponnightingale

If you are getting a chorus pedal, I would steer clear of behringer, they are pretty awful. Go for one of these They are more expensive but so much better.

Muse Idolisation Brotherhood
It's just I wanted a cheap pedal, so I saw that one but oh well.
I got a double muff before, thought it was crap.

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Quote by jackh131
If you are getting a chorus pedal, I would steer clear of behringer, they are pretty awful. Go for one of these They are more expensive but so much better.

Yeah stay far far away from behringer.
I actualy bought a behringer Chorus and a Ultra Metal (i think)
pedal and they suckd ass.
The Ultra metal wasnt that bad, but the chorus was just awful.
I returned it the next day.
hey dont mean to barge in on your thread but does any1 know if these are good pedals, their all behringers and their really cheap. I wouldnt expect them to be amazing but if anyone has any info that would be great.

ULTRA METAL UM100
OVERDRIVE/DISTORTION OD100
TUBE OVERDRIVE TO100
PREAMP/BOOSTER PB100
ULTRA OCTAVER UO100
ULTRA CHORUS UC100
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
double muff and fuzz factory?

why is everyone telling him to get distortion?
Quote by davo_333
hey dont mean to barge in on your thread but does any1 know if these are good pedals, their all behringers and their really cheap. I wouldnt expect them to be amazing but if anyone has any info that would be great.

ULTRA METAL UM100
OVERDRIVE/DISTORTION OD100
TUBE OVERDRIVE TO100
PREAMP/BOOSTER PB100
ULTRA OCTAVER UO100
ULTRA CHORUS UC100

Simple as, you get what you pay for. You pay for a cheap pedal, you'll get a cheap pedal. Although, this is not to say the most expensive is the best.
Quote by andyroo_g
double muff and fuzz factory?

why is everyone telling him to get distortion?

Exactly, good point andryoo. I'm fine for Distortion, I want a chorus, flanger, phaser pedal or something similar. I saw the Marshall Regenerator for about £30 and thought it looked good.

MARSHALL REGENERATOR: YAY or NAY?

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Quote by ponnightingale
Exactly, good point andryoo. I'm fine for Distortion, I want a chorus, flanger, phaser pedal or something similar. I saw the Marshall Regenerator for about £30 and thought it looked good.

MARSHALL REGENERATOR: YAY or NAY?

Ive not tryed one, but I hear that they are good quality in terms of sound and build
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by Kingyem0c0re
A multi effects unit maybe?

A Digitech RP80 is what I still use.

i hate that thing

beats the crap out of my tone and then shots it
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
get a wah
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
some dodgy russian acoustic (accord or something)
marshall valvestate 8080 w/foot switch
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
i have the boss ME-50 and i paied 499 plus tax for it and i really dont think it was worth the money now..if i had the time back i probably would of went with the rp80 it was alot cheaper around $200 plus tax or the one up from that i think its the rp-120..or maybe its called the rp-400 dosnt really matter
think i should get a delay? and anyway i think ill buy my guitar teachers chorus pedal off of him. its worth £40-£50... selling it for £20 he says i should try a delay

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

this is the multi effects processor you want Korg Toneworks 411 multi fx. very old school, the effects are VERY real sounding, you would think there was a tube in the lil thing. i used to have one but i sold it to my friend for 60 bucks, these things can get kinda expensive though, but there well worth it and if you can find one on ebay cheap i would suggest it. here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-Electronic-Guitar-ToneWorks-Super-Multi-411FX_W0QQitemZ330071481018QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
definately look into a phaser for a more "spacier" sound. Matt bellamy uses an mxr phase 90, is that helps.