So I was a bit confused after reading the sticky on amps...Would I be better off getting a 25W amp or a 15W amp for home practice. I will not be turning it up too loud for the most part. Would I get better sound with the 25W or should I go with the 15W. Like, are there disadvantages to not turning up an amp to at least half its max volume. Please inform me, it will really help my decision. Thank you.
headroom means you can turn it louder before it distorts. for quet bedroom practice 15 watts is fine, but what amps are you looking at?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well SS amps especially, really lose sound quality when theyre turned up to their max. So itd be beneficial to you to buy a bigger amp (if we're talking about SS of course) that you dont have to turn up, to keep the sound quality.

If we're talking about tube, you'd want to go with a smaller amp if you like the sound of natural tube break up. A lot of people like this, so maybe a really loud amp wouldnt be great for them. If you get a louder amp with more headroom, itll have to be a lot louder before it breaks up, which some people also prefer.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
if you're going ss, just get the 15w, it wont make that much difference with headroom, but, if you're going valve, then you will have more headroom, wich means the clean channel will break up into overdrive later and at higher volumes.
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
IF your just practicing a 15 watt should be fine.....
it depends what kind of amp your getting
i think a vox VALVETRONIX would be a really good amp to start with
i think it comes in 15watts and 25 im not sure
go to a local guitar shop and try one out
Sorry, forgot to mention, both amps are solid state. They are they Peavey Rage 258 and the Line 6 Spider III.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Sorry, forgot to mention, both amps are solid state. They are they Peavey Rage 258 and the Line 6 Spider III.

If they were giving the Spider away at the door with every package of picks sold, I would say, "no thanks."

If SS/modelling amps are what you're after, I recommend the Vox AD30VT.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
If they were giving the Spider away at the door with every package of picks sold, I would say, "no thanks."

If SS/modelling amps are what you're after, I recommend the Vox AD30VT.

Are they really that bad? Please give me a legitimate reason why you hate them? Have you played them before? I really can't see how it could be that atrocious. By the way, vox is out of my league ATM, so its out of the question. Would you recommend the PEavey 258?
I've played them both and they're harsh, tinny, and the sound bores you in the simplest terms. I tried the Vox ad50 recently, and was surprised by just how great the thing sounded. If I were you, I'd definitely get a vox valvetronix ad30.... and it's pretty good for metal (for all you metalheads lol). In fact, I found it to have a much fatter metal tone than the roland cubes that have a reputation for this.

Good luck anyways

Vox ad30vt ftw!!

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Are they really that bad? Please give me a legitimate reason why you hate them? Have you played them before? I really can't see how it could be that atrocious. By the way, vox is out of my league ATM, so its out of the question. Would you recommend the PEavey 258?

Spiders have a thin, fake, digital sound. My son plays with them when we hit Guitar Center or Sam Ash, and I always steer him away from them. He's only 11, but he already understands that tubes are the way to go.

I'm not familiar with the Peavey, so I can't help you there.

If you're looking for an amp specifically for bedroom use, perhaps a Vox DA5 would be up your alley. It's only 5W, but sounds great, and it's battery powered so you can carry it with you to the park to attract chicks when it's springtime weather in January like it is here in NY today.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, thanks for your help everyone. I think what I need too do is try out some amps for myself. Its the only way I'm going to properly solve this. Ya know, I was watching the spider III demo on line 6's website and mick thompson from slipknot was playing and i did notice some tinniness which I don't really like too much. I want a serious, heavy duty metal tone. I don't know if line 6 will cut it. I think I may go with the Peavey and work with that, then opt for a metal pedal in the future...but I'm talking too much, and I know nobody cares much anyway...Thanks again
Quote by LordBattlecrisp

If you mean out of your league for ability - that's not true it's really a beginner to medium ability amp.

If you mean out of your league in price range - I don't know how much the Spiders are but they can't be much less than Valvetronix if they are.

As for which wattage, i always foun dwith my 15 watt using for home practicing that it was really frustrating when there was on one in the house and i couldn't go really loud like i wanted to, but it depends if you would ever want to go loud.
The Stuff!
Quote by JesseIbanez
Well SS amps especially, really lose sound quality when theyre turned up to their max. So itd be beneficial to you to buy a bigger amp (if we're talking about SS of course) that you dont have to turn up, to keep the sound quality.

If we're talking about tube, you'd want to go with a smaller amp if you like the sound of natural tube break up. A lot of people like this, so maybe a really loud amp wouldnt be great for them. If you get a louder amp with more headroom, itll have to be a lot louder before it breaks up, which some people also prefer.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thyme
If you mean out of your league in price range - I don't know how much the Spiders are but they can't be much less than Valvetronix if they are.

A Vox AD30VT is forty bucks more expensive than a Spider III 30. Get the Vox, you'll definitely love it.