Poll: My thoughts on books are:
Poll Options
View poll results: My thoughts on books are:
I'd marry them if I could (bloody laws).
73 59%
I'm indifferent.
39 31%
They deserve to be used to wipe sweaty bums.
6 5%
reedins fur steers n queers
6 5%
Voters: 124.
Page 1 of 3
Just a thread about books in general. Aren't they lovely?

I've just bought a load of books with vouchers I was given at Christmas and I'm looking forward to reading them all.

I think that books are still generally better than information found on the internet and I certainly prefer to have a physical copy to a file saved on a computer.

Books stimulate my mind more than television does, and more even than music.

Books have taught me more than any person (alright, my family taught me how to speak, but they haven't taught me physics, chemistry, biology, maths, psychology, European history, natural history, jokes, stories and whatever else I've read since I was four years old).

I'd probably make love to books if it weren't for the risk of paper cuts.

How about you?
I'm reading the Godfather book right now. It's quite good. Up next is a Johnny Cash autobiography.
Actually I have to catch up on my reading. I'm on a nonfiction book about organised crime.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.

Darren Shan=Greatest and best author of all time.

w00p! Well maybe not the greatest (Philip Pullman) but still. Have you read Bec? Just finished it a few days ago.
I just got into the works of T.C. Boyle after I read "Greasy Lake" in my AP english textbook.

The Road to Wellville is badass.
I only like to read when the book is really interesting and starts off fast.

Any book with a slow start will get its ass kicked by me, because I don't like being bored for 150 pages and then mildly excited for 50 or 60 pages before the book starts to get boring again.
I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code.

My favourite book would have to be Mortal Engines, and the rest of the series.
Books rule. I just read Catch-22 a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the best things I've ever read.
i got loads for xmas and i love them all

!!!feel the funk blast!!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN
Quote by Saintsatan
Darren Shan=Greatest and best author of all time.

I've met him, what a great day that was Used to be one of my favourite authors, but my taste in books has evolved past him. Too simple a writing style.

I love books, I'm the only one out of my friends that reads, so it gets boring if I can't discuss an interesting read with someone. I'm currently fighting through Return of the Native, it's one of the worst books I've ever read but I want to get it over with so I don't have to read it again later on for an exam. I keep saying how much I hate it, but it's the same with any book I read, once I've been reading it long enough I'll want to know what happens.

I'm very picky with what books I read, I hate buying a book for a tenner only to discover it's a load of crap. I got some James Herbert and Terry Pratchet (sp?) for Christmas though, along with a Marlon Brando biography. I've never read biographies or Terry Pratchet before, so that I'm looking forward to. I just have to finish Return of the Native though >.<
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
has anyone read "Hitler and his God" by Georges Van Vrekhem??
Its the best book ive ever read. ever.

I love a good book now and again.

Unfortunately, I only got one for Christmas, a shitty Led Zeppelin one.

I hate Led Zeppelin

I hate you.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Yamaha EG 303 electric guitar
Washburn D8 acoustic
Korg Ax 10 G signal processor (sold)
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby
Ibanez Chorus/flanger
Rogue Wah
Roland Microcube
Peavey Amp

EMU 0404 PCI
Shure SM 57
Steinberg Cubase SX 3
Guitar Rig 2
Amplitube 2

Watch me playing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49euAGIZIwc
Hear my song:http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/161206/1166273725/recording6.mp3
I love His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, it's gotta be my favourite series of novels ever, it just works on so many levels to people of all ages adn backgrounds. Right now I'm reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Anyone got any recommendations for when I finish these?
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
I love books. I used to read 10 books a week, but I don't have time for it anymore, and I didn't like it. When I was 12, children's books were too childish, but the other books were still too hard for me.
I love Dutch writers like Arnon Grunberg (he lives in New York now, I think) and Karel Glastra-van Loon. Don't know of their books are translated in english, I think De Passievrucht by van Loon is, it's called.. A father's affair? I'm not sure.. but that one is really good.
[Light]
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I've met him, what a great day that was Used to be one of my favourite authors, but my taste in books has evolved past him. Too simple a writing style.

I love books, I'm the only one out of my friends that reads, so it gets boring if I can't discuss an interesting read with someone. I'm currently fighting through Return of the Native, it's one of the worst books I've ever read but I want to get it over with so I don't have to read it again later on for an exam. I keep saying how much I hate it, but it's the same with any book I read, once I've been reading it long enough I'll want to know what happens.

I'm very picky with what books I read, I hate buying a book for a tenner only to discover it's a load of crap. I got some James Herbert and Terry Pratchet (sp?) for Christmas though, along with a Marlon Brando biography. I've never read biographies or Terry Pratchet before, so that I'm looking forward to. I just have to finish Return of the Native though >.<

I'm envious.
books are wonderful
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Quote by Johnljones7443
I've just read Chuck Palahniuks 'Choke'. What an incredibly strange, yet brilliant story.

I've read his Fight Club and Invisible Monsters. How does it compare to those?
Quote by Saintsatan
I'm envious.

I even got him to sign Allies of the Night and got a photo of me and him. Hah hah, sucker.

-Matthew Arnold

Anyone remember reading 'The EDGE Chronicles'?

I absolutely loved that series when I was a bit younger. I think it's still going; but I've stopped reading. I have some of the books in chronological order, with that little 'Cloud Wolf' book first, up to 'Last Of The Skypirates'.

I better not be the only one who has read these.

Gah! But if you want a good horror, try The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Vampirey, and very good.
Quote by Eilidh
Gah! But if you want a good horror, try The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Vampirey, and very good.

I'm not an overall fan of horror, I think the worst I get is James Herbert and Stephen King. I'm more into fantasy and Olden Times, with heros and swords and dragons. You know the type.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by robmarsden01
I love His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, it's gotta be my favourite series of novels ever, it just works on so many levels to people of all ages adn backgrounds. Right now I'm reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Anyone got any recommendations for when I finish these?

Yea, the dark materials trillogy(sp?) ruled.

Best author imo is Jeffry Deaver.
Quote by metaldud635
Has anyone ever caught their parents doing it?

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, multiple times, and I usually joined in, still do in fact.

Quote by Vagabond21
Aaahh yes, the great state of Kentucky
Quote by _Mayday_
Anyone remember reading 'The EDGE Chronicles'?

I absolutely loved that series when I was a bit younger. I think it's still going; but I've stopped reading. I have some of the books in chronological order, with that little 'Cloud Wolf' book first, up to 'Last Of The Skypirates'.

I better not be the only one who has read these.

they were great books, even better that they had pics aswell
Originally Posted by filthandfury

haha

I congratulate you good sir on being EPIC.
The two books that I absolutely love are "Alas, Babylon" and "the Hobbit" other than that, I'm indifferent.

Does anyone else hate Dan Brown's writing style?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by _Mayday_
I'm reading the Godfather book right now. It's quite good. Up next is a Johnny Cash autobiography.

One of the best books ever IMO
So much details that you won't see in the movies
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I keep saying how much I hate it, but it's the same with any book I read, once I've been reading it long enough I'll want to know what happens.

I'm very picky with what books I read, I hate buying a book for a tenner only to discover it's a load of crap. I got some James Herbert and Terry Pratchet (sp?) for Christmas though

Yeah, same. It makes it really hard to get into new books. I hope you enjoy Terry Pratchett, I love him

Anyone else read Gormenghast? I've just started it, and I've been looking forward to it for ages.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I can't bring myself to read them.

I have to read A Tale of Two Cities by Monday, and I'm only on page 61.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Just finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Wow.

Hunter S. Thompson ftw!
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
I love reading, I wish I had more time to do more of it. Unfortunately school has ruined most of the classics for me due to the fact that they force us to overanalyze everything.

I'm currently reading from an E.A. Poe anthology as well as a book on dimensions and physics (and that's my leisure reading, lol).

edit:
Quote by ibaRGnez321
I can't bring myself to read them.

I have to read A Tale of Two Cities by Monday, and I'm only on page 61.

I've tried 3 times to read that book, but for whatever reason I can't get past a couple pages. The first paragraph is cool but for some reason the rest bores me.
Quote by Izz
One of the best books ever IMO
So much details that you won't see in the movies

Yeah, it's great. I think I prefer the films though; as the writing style annoys me sometimes.

Quote by JamesDouglas
Just finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Wow.

Hunter S. Thompson ftw!

Another great book. I want to read 'Fear and Loathing on The Campain Trail' - or something along those lines.
Anyone else read any James Bond books? I have the first four and I recommend them all to those who haven't read them before. Bond is a completely different person from how he's portrayed in the films.
I'm a lazy reader. Fiction books just don't grasp my attention. No matter how exciting or well written the book is, I just don't see it and get bored. Reading literature is a chore to me.

When I was young (2nd to 5th grade), my teachers always complained that I only read factual books. I kept saying "I wanna learn something!", and they were like "Fictional books improve your imagination!"

I've got more imagination than most people I know that read, thank you very much.

Non-fiction for me. Preferably with diagrams.
I love a good book, SF and fantasy are probably my favorit(and informatic stuff, I got loads of books about guitar brands and their heritage, old effects and other stuff).
we should put up a poll about the favorite kinda books.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Page 1 of 3