Right now the strings on my Acoustic/Electric Bass are like sandpaper. They feel really dried out and it's hard to slide and stuff like that.

Is there an easy, cheap, and fast way to make them easier to play that won't change the sound of them?

Question 2: How can I lower the action on my Acoustic/Electric Bass and being sure that I won't ruin anything?
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
have you tried boiling them?

it sounds sketchy to me but some people swear by it?
I thought boiling them was for better tone on electric strings.
Try using Fast Fret on them. It'll lube the strings up and clean them a bit at the same time. You can get it at any guitar store.

As for lowering the action, it depends on the bridge. I'm assuming it has a one piece acoustic bridge, in which case you lower the action by sanding down the bottom of the bridge. If you don't feel confident doing that, you can get a tech to do it for cheap. Make sure your truss rod is adjusted properly too.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by canadianpunk071
Try using Fast Fret on them. It'll lube the strings up and clean them a bit at the same time. You can get it at any guitar store.

As for lowering the action, it depends on the bridge. I'm assuming it has a one piece acoustic bridge, in which case you lower the action by sanding down the bottom of the bride. If you don't feel confident doing that, you can get a tech to do it for cheap. Make sure your truss rod is adjusted properly too.

The thing is, the closest guitar store is 45 minutes away and I can't get to it. That's why I'm looking for something cheap I can probably find around my house.

And, I'll find someone to do the sanding for me, thanks.
Walk down to your corner drugstore and pickup a little bottle of baby oil. Put some on a rag and pinch the string b/w your fingers with the rag and go all the way up and down a couple times. A little goes a long way.