i dont think it would sound that good but the exact same way you do on a guitar. the bass strings are the same as the last four strings on a guitar, but they sound deeper because the strings are thicker.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE

Ug Irish Clan - Pog mo Thoin
^Yep. Look at the tabs for RHCP Don't Forget Me as an example, Flea plays them through most of the song.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Quote by fondeedoodle
i dont think it would sound that good but the exact same way you do on a guitar. the bass strings are the same as the last four strings on a guitar, but they sound deeper because the strings are thicker.

Way to be obvious..and it sounds fine if your EQ can take it (i.e. equal amounts of low and high to get the whole chord clearly).

Just listen to newer Iron Maiden, Steve Harris is the master as throwing chords into his basslines.

Edit: Root-fifth-octave example

root:
----
----
----
7--  

fifth:
----
----
9--
----

octave:
----
9--
----
----

Power chord:
----
9--
9--
7--
Quote by rw3cja
thanks for helping but i dunno much so wot is a root fith octave?

The root is the note of the power chord, the fifth is on the string about 2 frets higher the fret board. Look at the intro to the Dont Forget Me tab.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
yeah for bass though sometimes it sounds really muddy if you use the octave,so you might just want to use the root and the fifth.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I do them like this...

G-7-7-5-7-
D-5-5-3-5-
A- - - - - - -
E- - - - - - -
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
^

Those are double-stops... I think they need the octave to be powerchords. But that's what I do, I don't play powerchords, just the double-stops.
"Reality leaves much to the imagination" - Lennon
^^They still count as powerchords, actually. They're probably doublestops as well though... Anyone?

Lots of people play powerchords like that, without the octave.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Powerchords ARE doublestops. Playing just the root and fifth is still playing a "powerchord".
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by musiclover2399
^Yep, technically power chords aren't chords. I think power chords sound lousy on bass unless you only use the D and G strings.

Or sometimes if you play higher frets on the lower two strings.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
If I play PC's on Bass, I only tend to use D and G, you get a much cleaner sound.
yeah D & G powerchords FTW!

i think they sound bad on the lower strings
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
But I don't just use double-stop powerchords. You can also throw in fourths, augmented 5ths, major amd minor thirds, for example:

G -7
D -5

etc. etc. etc. My favourites at the moment are those that use lots of open stings, for example -
G-11
D-0

etc.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
They're probably doublestops as well though... Anyone?

I do believe a double-stop is just playing two strings. I think that is right anyway...
I use root-fifth-octave power chords and double stops with all sorts of weird augmented/dimished thingies. I like the dimished 5th.. sounds evil.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.