Page 1 of 2
does anyone else here not like the fender basses or am i just weird...
i like ibanez gibsons and music man basses better because i find that fender necks are uncomfortable on my hands...anyone else out there feels the same way bout fender basses or am i alone
Yeah, I absolutely don't like Fender basses. They're like playing tree logs. I've been playing bass for 11 years now and every time I pick one up it just seems akward. I like Ibanez necks, but their bodies don't sustain well for me. I found a couple great basses by Godin that play awesome and sound great, a heck of a lot better than Fender ones.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

I hate Jazz necks, but Precision necks are alright. Nothing special though. I don't like most Fender basses because they sound mediocre, and are overpriced. Other companies make much better basses, and better quality copies can be found for lower prices.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
My 5 String Godin cost me $800 (dealer model) and my 4 string I got on eBay for $350 + shipping. I was really skeptical about getting a guitar from eBay, but that one plays and sounds great, especially with the two soapbar EMG's in it.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

Quote by canadianpunk071
I hate Jazz necks, but Precision necks are alright. Nothing special though. I don't like most Fender basses because they sound mediocre, and are overpriced. Other companies make much better basses, and better quality copies can be found for lower prices.

+1
Ive never really liked fender basses. Trying out the american Jazz bass I was supprised I didnt like the feel as much as my £50 starter bass. I find the only necks that I really like are warwick, however ibenez and musicman also feel pretty good.
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
I love my fender jazz to death but I totally understand people preferring other basses. I'm surprised whenever I hear people prefer a precision neck over a jazz but to each his own I suppose.

Plus they've got to be the easiest basses to customize, and only overpriced if you're looking at the wrong ones. Go out and but a squier affinity bass, make some mods and you got a kickass bass for less.
Quote by musiclover2399
I love my fender jazz to death but I totally understand people preferring other basses. I'm surprised whenever I hear people prefer a precision neck over a jazz but to each his own I suppose.

Plus they've got to be the easiest basses to customize, and only overpriced if you're looking at the wrong ones. Go out and but a squier affinity bass, make some mods and you got a kickass bass for less.

Or buy a $200 Peavey, and have a kickass bass without modding at all.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Well yeah but I meant stuff like badass bridge and basslines pickups and MIJ necks, all relatively cheap and large upgrades. But don't get me wrong, I like peavey a lot too.

I totally support Leo Fender's work, from the p bass/tele bass to the stingray.
Fenders are awesome. They made the bass and I think have done it the best ever since. Name a bass better than a Leo Fender that's in the same price range. I couldn't but I'm sure other people have other opinions. Thats why I find this thread a pointless display of preference.
Fender's are reliable and are tried and true. Definately not overpriced if you know what your doing. Anyway threadstarter, why do you care if people don't like Fender? It's not "weird" to have a preference.
I don't mind Fenders, but I definitely prefer Ibanez, ESP, and Schecter a bit more.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I've only played my Fender Jazz bass, really, so I wouldn't know. But I sure wish I had an Ibanez. A nice, 26 fretted, 5 stringed monster.

But I don't find the neck on mine to really be awkward or anything, but I don't have anything to compare it to.
But how can anyone like the look of ibanez basses? I know this guy in my school with one. It sounds BUFF beyond belief, but the strings are too taught and it looks like something out of Blade Runner. I like Jazzes coz you have the choice of playing at the bridge, for that pick kinda sound, or at the bass pickup for a more funky sound. Also I find that my Jazz bass can play ANY style of music rather than just rock and it isn't over-priced if you know the right people.

But thats just my opinion.
Originally Posted by bassmanjoe08
back in '76 i pried the frets off of jaco pastorius's bass hoping he wouldnt play as good.................damn did that backfire
I love my Fender. The only other instrument I might buy would be a Warwick 4-string fretless. But I'm probably gonna stick with Fender for a long time. Right now I'm looking for a cheap good P-bass neck to bolt onto my Jazz. I've got big monkey hands and I like how the P-bass necks fill my hand more.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I usually hate the way Fenders play, my Fretless being teh exception. I can play it just fine, ubt I can't play a fretted standard jazz worth a crap. I don't know what it is exactly, but they don't play right. I lvoe the sound though, and they're great basses, they just don't play right for me.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Fender Jazz Bass:

Amazing Sound
One of the most versatile basses on the market
Amazing neck

what's not to like?
Quote by canadianpunk071

Agreed. I think Peavey is doing a great job at pricing their basses at what they're worth, moreso at how much $$ they want to make.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
I love the way they play. Ive played quite a few, and I am either going to make a 6 string bass or a fender 4 or 5 jazz my next bass.
I love my precision bass, i have big hands so i love the chunky neck. What does it matter about not liking fender though, i cant stand warwick basses, i hate the neck and styling of them but thats just me. Everyone plays differently so everyone prefers different basses
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I think most Fenders are crap. (guitars and bass)

Mexican Fenders are cheap, fair enough, you get what you pay for.

American Fenders are expensive and they suck. They all seem to have extremely weak and thin sounding pickups. And horrible fretjobs. I played a AUD$2500 Deluxe Active Jazz and was unimpressed. It had scratchy pots from that factory, that's just shit quality control.

Same goes for strats. The only Strats I like are the Eric Johnson ones or better. And they're $4500 and up. You have to pay four grand for a strat that plays like a strat should. And don't get me started on SRV strats. Great necks but they have horrible hum, and the finish looks like it's covered by a piece of glass.

Japanese Fenders are stellar though. Marcus Miller jazz's rock, they look/sound/feel great and they are cheaper than a standard USA Fender.

And as for guitars, you cant get a 60's or 50's reissue strat for AUD$800. Stock they sound, look, and feel better than USA fenders. Perfect fretbjobs. replace the pups (unless you like texas specials) tuners and bridge and you've got an instrument that's miles ahead of a $2000 USA strat for $1500.

And then there's G&L. They are expensive, but I've also played a $1000 tribute strat that played and sounded better than USA Fenders.

So IMO there's no reason to go for an American Fender apart from having Made In USA on the headstock. You can get an awesome G&L or Japanese Fender for so much less. And if you're gonna spend $4500 on a guitar (which you have to if you want a decent one from US Fender) you may as well get something custom built for you.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by mountaindew88
I love my Fender. The only other instrument I might buy would be a Warwick 4-string fretless.

Took the words right out of my mouth there

Plus, I think the Fender style looks pretty sexy
I love Precision basses. Jazz basses, not so much.

I just love the tree sapling they have in place of a neck. This is also the reason why I like Warwicks and most ESPs. The sound, not so much a fan of anymore, but you could fix that with a pickup swap.
Am I the only one who likes Yamaha basses? I don't particularly dislike Fenders but I like Yamahas a lot more. They just feel so much better in my hands, although I haven't tried the lower end Yamahas.
I just went for the Deluxe P-Bass which has a jazz pickup/p-bass pickup combo and a jazz neck. It's a nice mix of the two.

I had tried out both an American Jazz Bass and an American P-Bass. The Jazz was two thin sounding, and the P-Bass had too much power. The complete opposite of the Jazz haha. So the Deluxe P-Bass was the perfect match for me.
You're just weird.

I have the P-Bass Active Deluxe. It's got the P body, Jazz neck, and a P/J pickup configuration. This bass is absolutely amazing. So versatile, plays like a dream, sounds amazing and I have tons of control over the sound. Not to mention Fenders are the Hondas of the bass aftermarket.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Umm how am I weird? I bought the same bass as you and I like it as well? Reread my post.
I really don't like fender's either. I mean, without it the bass wouldn't be as it is blah blah, but I don't like the feel of them. They seem rather bulky.

My biggest problem, however, is MOST only have 20 frets. Do I need to explain that?
Yes. Honestly why do you need more than twenty frets. The majority of you playing will be in the first 5 frets or the 9th to 17ish frets. If Jaco could do it with twenty you can.(I assume Jaco used 20 frets he used a fender so..)
Having more strings and frets means you can play more notes in the same postion which is good for fast solos.
Bass is my life.
Yeah, fender makes 22-24 fretted basses at times I believe, or you can just install a warmoth neck yourself. Though just look at fender's artists, how many of them are known for solos or extremely creative things on their respective instruments?

And yes, fender has multiple 5 string models and had the Bass VI a long while back, but they sort of have the baritone instead now.
Page 1 of 2