Over New Years I went to my Aunt and Uncle's house and they said they had an old acoustic lying around. So, they got it out and it was a Gibson so I thought it might have some value. They thought it was made around 69 or 70 because they picked it up at a garage sale a few years after that for $20. I wrote down that the serial number is 240951 and I'll upload a few quick pics I took of it in a minute.
It's made in 1964
Gibsons Kalamazoo Plant, USA
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Wow, you're lucky...
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Ok here are the pics. Sorry for how dark they are but hopefully someone will know what model it is.

Take a picture of the 'Gibson' logo on the Headstock in a clean View & the back where the serial is,

I'll tell you it's age & model.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Take a picture of the 'Gibson' logo on the Headstock in a clean View & the back where the serial is,

I'll tell you it's age & model.

I'd love to..................................................but it's 300 miles away. I'll see if I can get them to get those pics but I'm pretty sure the headstock is like this:

http://www.ricsvintageguitars.com/GIBSON%20L-50%20HEADSTOCK.jpg

Thanks for the help.
You should totally steal that shit. No matter how old it is, that looks like a pretty nice guitar.
holy shiot, ur one hell of a lucky man. Looks like its in MINT condition too.
Not exactly mint. There's a few small scratches near the bottom that you can't really see because those pics suck, and there's a bigger scratch on the back. Other than that though it's in pretty good condition considering how old it is. How much would one of these sell for? (just wondering, it won't be sold )
depends on the model, probably $1,000 to $2,000 unless its some exceptionally rare model.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^^^ Just because it is old, doesn't mean its valuable. How did you come up with a figure like that? From the pics, it looks as if it has the cheaper white plastic tuners.

It is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, and I couldn't see myself parting with US$2000 for a guitar with plastic Tuners, when I could get myself an awesome Maton etc.

EDIT

I have a 35 year old classical, which, in its time, was just an entry level guitar for school kids, and it would be worth $20 if that. Age does not mean a thing.

If this guitar the guy has (in its time), was a rare, studio quality guitar, then yes, $2000. If it was just a standard bottom of the line type guitar which the company put out for beginners, it would be worth $50 - $200
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 6, 2007,
most old gibsons ive seen have plastic tuners, that doesnt mean much. And even entry level flat tops from Gibson from that time period in decent condition should fetch at least $500-$600 from a Gibson collector, Gibson never made dirt cheap begginer guitars, and thier begginer level guitars fetch a lotof money anyways, try buying an old LP Junior for $50-$200

Last.fm
You could very well be right dude, Being in Australia, I am not up with Gibson guitars a great deal.

But, I just couldn't see anyone paying two grand for that guitar, is all. But meh, what would I know? Sillier things have happened I guess.

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

yeah two grand is an absolute maximum, and it would have to be a rarity, but vintage Gibsons pretty much get a high resale value simply because they are vintage Gibsons, you should see how much archtops from that era go for.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah two grand is an absolute maximum, and it would have to be a rarity, but vintage Gibsons pretty much get a high resale value simply because they are vintage Gibsons, you should see how much archtops from that era go for.

True?

It reminds me of a story I heard in the USA about this family who were going through their grandmothers house after she died, clearing all the stuff out.

They came across a wooden box with costume jewelery, which they were about to tip out, but decided to keep it.

Inside was an old broach with a purple marble type thing set into it. For a laugh she took this stuff into an antique jeweller appraiser. Long story short the purple marble ended up being the most rare Purple Pearl known to man, and was almost priceless.

They were offered US$80 Million Dollars for it (the cost of 2 jumbo jets approx), which they declined

I paid £7995 for my guitar in my sig... :/

I love it.

Try finding one in 50 years for at least the price I paid for it.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
lucky... it's even in great condition
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!