Ok, heres the story...

I got a Ibanez RG350DX for christmas. I had read mixed reviews, but I decided on it, even though I knew the bridge wasn't going to be amazing. It's a Edge III by the way. Anyway, I have been having osme problems. Whenever I tune the guitar, it always seems to go flat as soon as I start playing. I have been told to unlock the first two strings, tune them, lock the nut, and do that for the other 4 strings, then se the microtuners for the rest. I can get it into perfect tune, but as soon as I start playing it, it goes flat. Is the bridge really that bad?

I have been thinking it may just be that the strings need a good stretch in, and that's why it always goes flat, but if thats the case, then it will fix itself, right? The factory strings are still on it by the way.

So, can anyone help me out? Anyone with the same bridge/guitar having the same problems?

Thanks to all who read an reply.

-Rv
Once you tune it with-out the locking nut on, put it into tune from the fine tuners at the bottom of the Edge Trem.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
So, what you're saying is to un-lock the nut, tune it, and then use the fine tuners? wheres the point in that? If ive jsut tuned it with the main tuning pegs, I cant re-tune it with the microtuners, since it's already in tune.

Anyone else got an idea for my main question?

Thanks.
no u got it wrong....tune with out locking nut, then put the locking nut back on, the use the
fine tuners
thats what i have been doing, and it has not been helping. Maybe its jsut the strings need stretched in?
You're doing it wrong, you unlock all the nuts 1st, then you tune each one of them, NOT tune each 2 then lock and tuning another 2. Set all the fine tuners to middle position.

Always make sure the bridge is sitting parallel to the body, when you're happy with the tuning, lock all the nuts. Re-tune using the fine tuners.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i have the same guitar and got it from christmas and im having no trouble and like the other guys said your doing it wrong
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
I have the RG350EX and it can be a pain in the ass if you arent used to it. My advice is just do some research on different ways to tune a floyd rose (since there are a few) and stick with whatever works for you.

If you don't feel confident about it, take it to a guitar store and they will be able to help.

Also, don't believe this crap about the Edge III. Put the time into getting it set up and it can play like a dream. Mine works fantastically, the tuning stays rock solid no matter what i do. Its just the factory settings are generally awful :P
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Well, thanks...

If I unlock all of the nuts at the neck, wont that screw the positioning of my floyd rose bridge, and make it go higher/lower, because I really don't want to have to try changing springs and stuff, I'm not confident about that.

Anyone?
No more questions, just follow these -

Tuning Floyd Rose

1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
As I said, thanks for that, but i really dont want to start adjusting springs etc. And i can't really take it back to the shop as i've already done that once and they gave me a new one, telling me my bridge was too high. I don't know what i done, but i remember once or twice opening all the nuts and tuning.

So, anyone verify that this is really not gonna mess it up? (by experience)

Sorry about being so "pushy", i just cant afford to screw this up.
you wont screw up anything, YOU NEED TO UNLOCK ALL OF THEM before tuning.

if your bridge is raised, there's no need to put another spring or take one out at all, you just adjust the 2 claw's screws

that's the only way to make your bridge parallel
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
And the claw screws are? i have no idea what you're talking about, are they behind the back panel?

Thanks for all your help
These 2 screws on the left

everything is inside my tutorial, including this pic
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
And i tighten them both? and that will either raise or lower my bridge, so just keep on doing it until i get it parallel to the body?
when the nut is unlocked on mine, i tune the strings in this order:

Low E - 6

High E - 1

A String - 5

B String - 2

D String - 4

G String - 3

I find that prevents the strings from going flat. remember, the Floyd Rose system is all about balancing the tension of the strings. it took a while for me to get my head round it, but its not difficult once you understand how it works.
Ok, ill keep that in mind. If my bridge does go up or down, do i just loosen the strings using the main tuners, and then tighten/loosen the claws?

also, when tightening/loosening the claws, should the nut be locked or unlocked?
Seriously, plz read it correctly according to the numbers...

Clearly if the bridge is raised, you need more spring tension, that means loosening the strings a fair bit and tighten the claw screws and re-tune until its parallel. If the bridge is sinking, you dont need to loosen the strings, you just loosen the claw's screws.

The nut should be locked IF AND ONLY IF your bridge is already parallel and you are in your desired tuning.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Ok, i just done what you said a while ago, and it all seemed fine (as far as i could tell, the bridge was parallel and it was in tune), but now it has gone flat on all the strings, i havent touched the microtuners or the nut. It has gone from E to just above D#, like in the middle (not sure what that incriment's called) and its done the same amount on all of the strings??

anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?
Anyone? i think im going to try and tighten the springs, as i think it may be a bit too high, but i dont really know, so if it isnt this, then can someone tell me?
Isn't it supposed to be sharper, like the guy said? Then tune with the nut unlocked, then lock the nut, and tune with the fine tuners.

- your MAIN goal here is to get to your DESIRED PITCH. Remember, that's the main point
- just normally tune your guitar with all the nuts unlocked and when everything is in perfect pitch, see if the bridge is lifted or not
- if its lifted above the body (not parallel), then loosen all the strings a fair bit until the bridge drops down. Tighten the 2 screws at the back a bit
- re-tune
- if the bridge sunk inside the cavity (after you've tune it to perfect pitch), then you just loosen the 2 claw's screw and re-tune
- REPEAT everything until your bridge is parallel, eventually locking your nut and retune again using the fine tuners
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
right thanks, it seems my bridge may be a bit high, so im going to lower it.

the metal between the two screws has to be perfectly parallel doesnt it?
Quote by Rvddps
As I said, thanks for that, but i really dont want to start adjusting springs etc. And i can't really take it back to the shop as i've already done that once and they gave me a new one, telling me my bridge was too high. I don't know what i done, but i remember once or twice opening all the nuts and tuning.

So, anyone verify that this is really not gonna mess it up? (by experience)

Sorry about being so "pushy", i just cant afford to screw this up.

I have experience and this wont screw anything up. I thought the same thing after i got my dean. Just be confident and as long as you're sensible then you shouldnt screw anything up.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by Rvddps
right thanks, it seems my bridge may be a bit high, so im going to lower it.

the metal between the two screws has to be perfectly parallel doesnt it?

common sense, yes
Thats what she said...
UGmusic