Hey, I've been looking into buddhism a lot recently and I'm just curious if anyone else has.

And if you have, what all have you read on the philosophy?

I've read the wikipedia mostly
I've been reading about Buddhism and Hinduism a lot recently. Like you, all I really read is Wikipedia and some other assorted websites.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
my mom is a Buddhist, i never listen to anything she tells me about it after she explained reincarnation.
i would do it becaue if u were good during your life and then u die u get to go to nirvana and watch them live in concert everynight
Buddhists live in peace...

And don't have material good...

So give me your guitars & stuff & I shall make you a buddhist.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Nvrxcominxhome
i would do it becaue if u were good during your life and then u die u get to go to nirvana and watch them live in concert everynight

damn, christians have hell....buddhists have nirvana.

but seriously, it looks good to me.

most of the ideas are pretty much common sense, the only leap of faith is the reincarnation.
I was quite obsessed for a while. Zen is the school that is most cool though. Find the book Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. Life changing.
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Quote by Nvrxcominxhome

Thats worse than Hell....
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Nvrxcominxhome

you're now sigged
Quote by xDie_Romanticx
oh god i gotta sig that shit
There are a few buddhists on here, Yak is the only one I can think of off hand (at least I think he is...)

Anyway, I'm really into meditating, but I'm not huge on the buddhist teaching that "self" doesn't exist because if self exists then so can suffering. I'm pretty sure that's correct, and I like to think that I exist. It is a very intruiging way of life though.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by DaliLama
I was quite obsessed for a while. Zen is the school that is most cool though. Find the book Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. Life changing.

hmm...thats the one i was considering.

how long were you obsessed with it?

would you still consider yourself buddhist?
Bump (I've been unable to post for 30 days so I haven't had the chance to post in here until now )

Going through my bookmarks:

This sites got some ebooks and audio files, I've not spent much time on this site, so I'm not sure what else it's got to offer

This site's got a lot of good audio files of different talks from various monks, which is good sh*t

This is a really good site, it's got free ebooks from a LOT of different religions / beliefs: I'd highly recommend having a look

Yeah, there's a few. I sort of found myself being Buddhist without really realising, I mean I started reading up on it and just thought "holy sh*t, this is what I believe" like existance and the ego and compassion for others. Like iain I'm into my meditation too, and there's stuff I believe about that that (for me) feels like an extension of Buddhism, like astral planes and spiritual bodies etc.

It depends what you believe. I'm well aware that a lot of people scoff when they hear that someone admits to having some sort of a faith, but that doesn't bother me. Another thing I like about Buddhism is that it doesn't rule out other religions; it seems to fit nicely over the top, because the teachings are very similar to the teachings in various holy books. Ok, that last sentence read very badly, but I can't be arsed to change it because I'm tired
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Buddhism, imo, is not so much a religion but more a philosophy and a way of life. You don't have to believe in reincarnation to be a buddhist (I don't ), and one thing that is really attractive about all branches of buddhism (Zen, Taoism, etc) is that they're all put emphasis on attaining wisdom and peace with yourself and the rest of the world, as opposed to much more hostile western and islam religions. No crusades, no jihads or any of that crap there.

I guess I'm more of a taoist than a buddhist myself but it's all related anyway and it's not the names that matter. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time with someone who is a 'proper' buddhist monk, and the evenings spent in conversations with him were truly incredible.

I'm glad to hear you're getting into it, you definitely need to look up more than just wikipedia articles though. Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching is a great read if you're into that kind of a thing, you'd need to find a good translation though, and there's a lot of other authors you should look at as well, I can't remember the exact names off top of my head though and I'm at work, but I'll post some more when I get home if you want.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
Buddhism, imo, is not so much a religion but more a philosophy and a way of life. You don't have to believe in reincarnation to be a buddhist (I don't ), and one thing that is really attractive about all branches of buddhism (Zen, Taoism, etc) is that they're all put emphasis on attaining wisdom and peace with yourself and the rest of the world, as opposed to much more hostile western and islam religions. No crusades, no jihads or any of that crap there.

I guess I'm more of a taoist than a buddhist myself but it's all related anyway and it's not the names that matter. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time with someone who is a 'proper' buddhist monk, and the evenings spent in conversations with him were truly incredible.

I'm glad to hear you're getting into it, you definitely need to look up more than just wikipedia articles though. Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching is a great read if you're into that kind of a thing, you'd need to find a good translation though, and there's a lot of other authors you should look at as well, I can't remember the exact names off top of my head though and I'm at work, but I'll post some more when I get home if you want.

I don't believe in reincarnation either, it just doesn't make sense to me, but it doesn't matter. I love that it's all about finding your own path, and about finding enlightenment instead of just saying "this is how it is, believe it or you're a sinner".
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
hey man i started a thread a while ago on buddhism. here is the link
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487226&page=1&pp=40

right now i am getting into zen buddhism. it is so cool. it is very simple but with each line contains so much wisdom. i encourage anyone to read as much as they can on it. buddhism just makes your life so much better.

Free yourself!

here is your daily enlightenment!

Quiet your Mind
Reflect
Watch
Nothing binds you-
You are free!
I've been reading about, and I've been like "Holy cow, this is so true!" My dad has a few Dalai Lama books that I'm gonna read. It feels more right for me than any other religion.

BTW, does anyone know if Kurt Cobain was a buddhist? 'Cause of the band name and that he's buried (or his ashes were spread there) on a buddhist grave yard or something like that.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
i used to be really into it, its one of my favorite religions, and the whole giving up material possesions and all that sounds like a good idea,but then i decided id be better of getting filthy rich first.
Quote by iain4444
There are a few buddhists on here, Yak is the only one I can think of off hand (at least I think he is...)

Anyway, I'm really into meditating, but I'm not huge on the buddhist teaching that "self" doesn't exist because if self exists then so can suffering. I'm pretty sure that's correct, and I like to think that I exist. It is a very intruiging way of life though.

I'm Buddhist

I'm kind of a lay Buddhist though, I don't really believe in everything they believe in, but I believe in it for the most part... if that makes sense. I kind of want to enjoy my obsessive and corrupt adolescence, then I'll start becoming much more serious about Buddhism.

I started researching it in the August of 2005 and have read two books on it. One of them was "Living Buddha Living Christ" and I think the next one was "The Four Noble Truths". Not exactly sure about the second title (Yes, I know what the Four Noble Truths are, I'm just not sure if it was named something else along those lines).

Anyway, Buddhism is pretty cool and is extremely calming the more you get into it. It is annoying, however, when people around my Catholic School are like "BLAHHHGGH NO YOU ARE NOT BUDDHIST NEIEINNG!!" (Fake words added for emphasis)

Good luck
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Quote by Yakult
I love that it's all about finding your own path, and about finding enlightenment instead of just saying "this is how it is, believe it or you're a sinner".

Right. On.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Quote by Nvrxcominxhome