Hey
I wanna ask people who are more experienced than me..
Why do amps buzz??? and is there any way of preventing it???
My amp starts buzzing everytime i record or have band rehearsal and it pisses me off..
My amp is not broken or anything its in perfect good condition..
Why does it buzzz???????????
It could be:
Bad cable
If its a solid state it'll usually buzz
your guitar is too close to the amp
If you just mean that buzzing that always comes when your amp is turned on... that's just the way amps are. They make noise.

It adds to the atmosphere.
if you have a guitar with pickups that arent humbuckers (for example the classic fender pick ups) then its normal for the buzzing to happen. It could also be that you put a lot of distortion on and it gives a feedback buzz which is normal also.
Quote by R0CKER1220
Tubes don't buzz as much?

Im not positive since I dont have a tube amp
But i'd think they wouldn't
Sitting next to something like a turned on t.v or moniter can make it buzz too.
Dave Tither
I bet it's a Vox Valvetronix, mine did the same shit until it broke.
I don't know for sure what kind yours is though, lol.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Amps do make noise just my virtue of their operation, but it shouldn't be too much of a distraction when playing. A noise gate is an essential piece of gear if you use a lot of gain, however.

If the noise is really distracting and the gate does not deal with the problem you will have to troubleshoot.

If you are using single coil pickups that is probably the issue.

You could be picking up radio interference.

Your guitar may not be grounded properly.

I would start by trying different guitars to see if that affects the issue. If you are running effects, try them one by one as well.

Troubleshooting gear is a pain in the ass chore that anyone without hired techs must deal with.
Last edited by Ben Jammin at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by i'm a noob
fix: drown out your amp noise with some van halen

Mhm. When you are playing you dont hear any buzz anyways. So just play on!
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
if its a cheap pickup it would buzz...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
mine does the same thing, i think mine has something to do with the grounding tho.... because if i touch the metal around where i plug my cord in on the guitar, it stops/quiets
my amp buzzes too. My guitar is close to it and usually i watch tv while i practice. the tv makes it buzz. i have strat copy and it buzzes on all pickup configurations. i found out that if you switch to the inbetween configurations and mute the strings it stops buzzing. (when i see something interesting on tv.)
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by mellowness
my amp buzzes too but if u press against the stings it stops buzzing for me =D

That's exactly what happened to me tonight. It was the first time it buzzed since I got it in January. It's a little Marshall MG10CD (came with the guitar package). When I press the strings the buzzing stops. And it also just comes and goes.

I did install a new ceiling fan (with a remote control) in the room. I turned the fan off, but no change. I changed cables, but no change.

Just live with it?
Quote by Minotauros
That's exactly what happened to me tonight. It was the first time it buzzed since I got it in January. It's a little Marshall MG10CD (came with the guitar package). When I press the strings the buzzing stops. And it also just comes and goes.

I did install a new ceiling fan (with a remote control) in the room. I turned the fan off, but no change. I changed cables, but no change.

Just live with it?

I'm pretty sure that means that your guitar is not grounded properly. Mine used to do that, but I took it in to the shop, and now it doesn't, so you should probably get that taken care of if it matters to you.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
I'm pretty sure that means that your guitar is not grounded properly. Mine used to do that, but I took it in to the shop, and now it doesn't, so you should probably get that taken care of if it matters to you.

I don't think it's the guitar, because it didn't do that in my lesson a few hours earlier, and the amp buzzes even with the guitar unplugged. But thanks for the tip about grounding. It can't hurt to have the guitar checked out. Things can go sour 1-2-3.

I wonder if it's picking something up from the new remote controlled ceiling fan, combined with the TV and computer (all in the same room).

As a further ruling-out I'm going to take the amp and guitar into another room as well as just turn everything off (computer, TV, fan) in the room I play in.
Quote by Minotauros
I don't think it's the guitar, because it didn't do that in my lesson a few hours earlier, and the amp buzzes even with the guitar unplugged. But thanks for the tip about grounding. It can't hurt to have the guitar checked out. Things can go sour 1-2-3.

I wonder if it's picking something up from the new remote controlled ceiling fan, combined with the TV and computer (all in the same room).

As a further ruling-out I'm going to take the amp and guitar into another room as well as just turn everything off (computer, TV, fan) in the room I play in.

Yeah, the room I play in has that same problem. An old TV, a cable box, a DVD player, my cellphone charger, my computer and a terribly buzzy stereo all contribute to hum.

But if the hum stops when you touch the strings on your guitar, then that means there is a grounding issue, so you should have a tech take your axe apart and have a look at its innards.

Edit: If that doesn't work, then try plugging your amp into a different outlet in your practice space. It might be that the outlet you are using has a problem with its ground.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112