Okay, today I went to Guitar Center and bought CakeWalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3. I brought it home, and downloaded it. As it was downloading, I plugged my Epiphone G-400 custom into my Peavey ValveKing 212 100 watt Combo, and attempted to record, using a cheap little microphone that I got a few years back.

It sounded like shit.

so I have a dilemma. I'ts probobly not my software, or the amp. I'm assuming it is my microphone, but if I can get away without buying a new microphone, I would enjoy doing that. Is there I way I can record directly from my amp to laptop? Or is my only option to buy a new mic?

(I included the named of everything I used incase that may be the problem)
what kind of laptop? mac or PC?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
if your amp has a headphone jack, buy a cable that has that size at one end and the microphone (plug into your computer) size at the other end. OR get a cable with the tiny microphone size at both ends, and a thing (i forgot what it is called) that looks like the end of a guitar cable end. but it is only the end of it, and on the side that you dont plug in there is a tiny slot for one of the ends of the microphone sized cable. if that didn't make any sense. sorry.
There are special recording "boxes" that go from an input jack and have a USB exit so the signal goes directly to the PC
Quote by frontman54
if your amp has a headphone jack, buy a cable that has that size at one end and the microphone (plug into your computer) size at the other end. OR get a cable with the tiny microphone size at both ends, and a thing (i forgot what it is called) that looks like the end of a guitar cable end. but it is only the end of it, and on the side that you dont plug in there is a tiny slot for one of the ends of the microphone sized cable. if that didn't make any sense. sorry.

ok so what ur saying is to buy a cable w/ a 1/8" jack on both ends, but buy an 1/4" adapter and stick it on one end. Plug the 1/4" end into the Headphone jack on ur Amp and the other end into your line in (or microphone jack, either way works).
Quote by Soma3009

I'm wearing my batman outfit to school tomorrow. Only problem is, the legs are spandex. So, my balls competely stand out. Is there ANY possible way around this?

Quote by futurejimmypage
like my band wants to have like kickass nick names. names like synyster gates etc.
plug a guitar cable into ur headphones slot on ur amp then with the otherend u need 2 buy a jack which converts it to the size of computer input and plug it into ur line in port on ur computer an ur away
Quote by victimized124
ok so what ur saying is to buy a cable w/ a 1/8" jack on both ends, but buy an 1/4" adapter and stick it on one end. Plug the 1/4" end into the Headphone jack on ur Amp and the other end into your line in (or microphone jack, either way works).

wat he sed lol
okay, ill start at the top.
Sid: It's an HP laptop, and it's on Windows.

Frontman: Yes, that made sense, and I have all of that. Except my amp has no headphone jack, which is why I asked if a speaker input would be similar to a headphone input?

Cardboard: If I understand correctly, I would need an imput jack in my amp, which it doesn't have. Thanks anyway.

Victimized: The same as what i said to frontman, my amp has no headphone jack.

Prodantic: Again. No headphone input on my amp, so that wouldn't work. that's what i was going to try in the first place.

I really appreciate all the replies, it appears that my amp isn't outfitted for the way most people record. If anyone else has a way, or knows if the Speaker Input would serve as a headphone jack, I would love to know.

EDIT: I just had an idea. I have another amp, a little practice amp, a Fender Frontman 15G. It has a headphone jack. would I be able to run a cable to there from my peavey, then run the smaller Fender amp into my computer using the headphone into the microphone slots, and still have the tube tone from my peavey?

EDIT2: Okay, apparently that wouldn't work. It just put out too much power, without even playing the sound on Guitar Tracks Pro 3 was at max.
Last edited by yorkshireterror at Jan 6, 2007,
the problem probabaly is that the mic is distorting, so you need to either put it farther away from the speakers or lower your amps volume, another thing you could do is buy a behringer eurotrack 502 or higher mixer. and go mic to mixer to pc. that should help keep the distortion down. and with tube amps the head phone jack out effects loop does work but for me it distots the signal and the whole thing sounds crappy. try using a mice before you buy a new mic but you may have to buy a new mic, and you will eventually.
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
Quote by spiritinthesky9
the problem probabaly is that the mic is distorting, so you need to either put it farther away from the speakers or lower your amps volume, another thing you could do is buy a behringer eurotrack 502 or higher mixer. and go mic to mixer to pc. that should help keep the distortion down. and with tube amps the head phone jack out effects loop does work but for me it distots the signal and the whole thing sounds crappy. try using a mice before you buy a new mic but you may have to buy a new mic, and you will eventually.

Yes, the mic is definately distorting, alot. To get it far enough away from the amp, is has to be in like another room- Anywhere in my room, with the amp low enough to record the sound is really weak and thin, and unacceptable for what I want. Instead of buying a mixer, I think I'm just gonna have to buy a new mic; It's not worth the work getting around it. Thanks, everyone who helped.
so I have a dilemma. I'ts probobly not my software, or the amp.

The amp is 99% of the tone in my experience (assuming your are not overloading a mic or using a broken mic).

Why does everyone recommend using the DI? Has anyone actually ever listened to the sound of a DI for electric guitar?

Brandon
Quote by brandondrury
The amp is 99% of the tone in my experience (assuming your are not overloading a mic or using a broken mic).

Why does everyone recommend using the DI? Has anyone actually ever listened to the sound of a DI for electric guitar?

Brandon

Well, it depends. If you're going from line-out to soundcard - then that sounds like total crap. And I completely agree, I don't know why anyone would suggest that.

However, if you're going from line-out to DI box to soundcard - then that's not too bad at all. I've had much better success with that than mic'ing.