As I listed earlier, something blew in my amp. My problem is that my cabinet reads 16 ohms and my amp ('83 2203/100watt marshall) only has a 4 or 8 ohm selection. Do they not have to be the same ohms?
As far as I'm concerned, they need to be the same, don't your cab has the 8ohms option ?
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
They don't *have* to be, but the rating of the cab should NEVER be lower than the rating of the amp. They should be equal, or if need be, have the cab be a higher value than the amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
hmmmm, thats wierd, there should be a 4/8/16 ohm selector on that amp but you could get away with running the amp at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab. But it's usual that it doesn't have a 16 ohm option.

as for the amp "blowing". this suprises me. check your fuses first.
unless I'm not turning the dial on the amp far enough, which only goes less than half a turn, all I see is 4 and 8 ohms. So will this hurt the amp if i run it 8 ohm and cab 16 ohm.
thanks for the help by the way
Quote by protech487
As I listed earlier, something blew in my amp. My problem is that my cabinet reads 16 ohms and my amp ('83 2203/100watt marshall) only has a 4 or 8 ohm selection. Do they not have to be the same ohms?

Having an impedence load higher than normal is ok, you will just have reduced output. The danger is when you have less than normal, i.e. a 2 ohm load on a 4 ohm output. It will cause great amounts of heat to build up and more than likely will damage the amp. Sometimes the fuse saves it, other times not so much.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1