i went to a guitar store earlier today and i played both of these instruments. i like the overall build quality and the sound of the gibson, but on the epi i like the pups inlays and smoother neck. which one is a better guitar. i play classic and hard rock
well
I think theyre comprable, the gibson doesn't justify its price

if I had to choose I'd get the g400 and use the extra cash on an amp or something
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I have the Faded, it's an awesome guitar. The pickups were a little weak for my liking so I replaced them, but in my opinion the Gibson is a much better guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well for my bday which is in march im already getting a vox 30 watt amp. the more i think about it i like the gibson. its a really nice guitar, but i just like the epis features like inlays and pups. is there a real difference in the pickups on these guitars
the gibson is overpriced for a guitar with crappy pickups and no finish ( not to mention the lack of binding and the lame dot inlays)

you could get the g400 and add some burstbucker pros

(no offense to people that have the faded special )
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
you guys are making it tough on me. rite now i have a shecter a-1 diamond series. i like it in all but it just doesnt fit my style of play. i wasnt happy with the purchase so i dont want to rush into another one. geez the gibson looked so pretty with the finish. but which one would be the best for gigs.
Do you gig a lot? Coz the finish on the gibby would get worn out easier than say a standard would. If you don't gig like every week the faded is ok.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Last edited by namman05 at Jan 6, 2007,
no i havent even had my first gig. but i will sometime soon say in the next 1-2 months. and no i would probably have maybe one a month
well heres the specs, both guitars are solid mahogany neck and body, so either one right there makes it a decent guitar, the epiphone has pickups that are ok, muddy but alot of youngsters dont notice that, the SG special has pickups designed after the PAFs, which is one of the most legendary pickups in the world and imo very verstile, hot enough for metal but mellow enough for some jazz fusion if you wish, the wiring on epiphones is somewhat questonable in most cases, i see more of them come back that need rewired than any other guitar, but that will be on your warranty and really you cant tell in a shop unless theres a faulty toggle switch, so it comes down to do you want a guitar that has all the looks but will need new pickups preferably, or a guitar that doesnt look that great but will sound like some of higher end Gibsons that come with the same pickups, hope that helps man
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
The Faded SG is overpriced, as is the case with all Gibsons. However, it is the better guitar, imho. There is nothing wrong with the finish. It looks and feels really nice actually. Overall, the Faded SGs I've tried had incredible acoustic resonance (probably the most important thing to look for in terms of sound) and great playability. The neck is fast and smooth. The only two things I don't like about them are the uncovered pickups (these particular ones really look like crap) and the price.

The G400 is a good guitar in its own right, but it doesn't have the same feel, quality or sound. It is fair to say that while the G400 is more affordable, it is also somewhat overpriced.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jan 6, 2007,
as of right now im going with the gibson. i really like it and how it plays. keep the opinions coming
i dont really see how 579.99 is overpriced, but to each his own
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
if you ask me its a steal 579 for a gibson. sounds good to me.
well in the case of durability, the gibson was already made to look worn. i'm assuming they did that with the assumption that those who would be interested in it would want a worn look.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
dont cheap out when getting a gibson.
im geting an epi SG to use as a backup for my LP, and id choose the epi over a cheaply made gibson.
but if that particual gibby wasnt built like a piece of crap, get it.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
If you're going to spend nearly $600 on a guitar, I'd save the extra few hundred bucks and go with a high end Gibson, like the SG Standard.

But out of those two, the Epi.
i dont get why you kids assume since its not a wallet buster its cheaply made, its made in the factory just like the others and set up just like the others, they just dont use fancy inlays, binding, or a solid paint, thats how they save the cost, and its passed to the consumer, and honestly id rather have less paint on a guitar to me it does seem to give off a better tone, my v has no clear coat and the paint is immensly faded and it actually sounds better now
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
pretty sure im going to get the gibson guys thanks for the input but keep the opinions coming
If your getting a Gibson SG go all the way to a SG standard. If you don't mind shelling out a couple hundred extra bucks for pickups then go with the epi.
what makes the epi better than the gibson. isnt the wiring in the gibson alot better than that of the epi?
Sounds comes first.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by dertjoe
well heres the specs, both guitars are solid mahogany neck and body, so either one right there makes it a decent guitar, the epiphone has pickups that are ok, muddy but alot of youngsters dont notice that, the SG special has pickups designed after the PAFs, which is one of the most legendary pickups in the world and imo very verstile, hot enough for metal but mellow enough for some jazz fusion if you wish, the wiring on epiphones is somewhat questonable in most cases, i see more of them come back that need rewired than any other guitar, but that will be on your warranty and really you cant tell in a shop unless theres a faulty toggle switch, so it comes down to do you want a guitar that has all the looks but will need new pickups preferably, or a guitar that doesnt look that great but will sound like some of higher end Gibsons that come with the same pickups, hope that helps man

yes but for the same price as the faded, couldnt you buy the epi and upgrade pickups? then he would have better cosmetics and the higher-end gibson sound
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
try also ESP viper 400 for a good SG shaped guitar if that was what you were looking for
nah im not much into esps, and im not very good at upgrading. and i really dont want to. if the gibson is inferior to the epi, why? what are the problems
theyre not necessarily inferior, just very hit or miss. I've yet to find a faded special i would even pay $200 for, let alone $600 or whatever they sell for. On the 5 or 6 ive tried, the necks were really slow and sloppy, the pickups werent as hot as the standard pickups (which i guess is preference, but whatever), and the things wouldnt stay in tune longer than a minute.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by malcs
what makes the epi better than the gibson. isnt the wiring in the gibson alot better than that of the epi?

Even if it is, who cares? Just buy the cheap G-400, and replace the wiring. It'll still cost less money than a Gibson of comparable quality.
depends. Epiphone plays better and loks better.. IMO. but your friends will say "OMG HE GOT A GIBSON" if you got the other one

edit.. oh yeah the Gibson was made in the USA if that means anything to ya.. i know it does to some people.
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
i do like the fact that is made in the usa. i dont know why i feel so strong about the one i played but i do. but man the more i look at it the epi looks nice
I have a faded special and an Epi G-400 with Maestro. They both play well, I liked the stock pups on the Gibson over the stock Epi, but after I upgraded the Epi (Angus/Classic 57) I prefer it as it has a faster neck.
i know this may sound stupid but.......... when i get the guitar i dont want my friends to go ahhh you just got an epiphone. a gibson is better. i guess that is kinda bad but i just think the gibson is better.
The Faded has simple cosmetic appointments that are well-made while the G400 has "fancy" ones of poorer quality. This gives the Faded an overall better feel, imho.

Putting Gibson pickups into a G400 won't make it sound better than the Faded because the Faded is a better-built guitar. It has way more resonance and sustain. That's something you can't upgrade. And I totally understand Malcs' point about not wanting to upgrade. It can be surprisingly expensive, stressful and a hassle.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jan 7, 2007,
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
theyre not necessarily inferior, just very hit or miss. I've yet to find a faded special i would even pay $200 for, let alone $600 or whatever they sell for. On the 5 or 6 ive tried, the necks were really slow and sloppy, the pickups werent as hot as the standard pickups (which i guess is preference, but whatever), and the things wouldnt stay in tune longer than a minute.

+1
The last couple of Gibson SG Faded models I played were inferior to my own Epi SG G-400.
Granted I've done a bunch of work to mine (pickups, custom wiring options, hardware upgrades)...but still...You know what I mean.