I'm having trouble with this. All the explanations that I've found just say to angle the pick. Apart from that I'm pretty lost. Should the side of my palm be on the bridge? Or should I support myself with my fingers on the pickguard, even though I'm pretty sure this will be a bad habit later on. Can anyone explain it to me?
Quote by the agony scene
its personal choice whichever is more comfortable go with that i rest on the bridge personally

that and you could also lay your hand on the strings muting them, except of course the string you are picking. its not hard to change strings once you get the hang of it. there are also some good videos on cyberfret.com or .net not sure which one.

wonder if im allowed to recommend them...
Hmmm sounds...uninteresting?
So it's basically just really fast picking? I don't listen to deathcore much
Quote by nnizzle
I'm having trouble with this. All the explanations that I've found just say to angle the pick. Apart from that I'm pretty lost. Should the side of my palm be on the bridge? Or should I support myself with my fingers on the pickguard, even though I'm pretty sure this will be a bad habit later on. Can anyone explain it to me?

Both resting your palm on the bridge and pinkies on the body are bad habits; it's called anchoring, and it increases tension in your wrist.
Quote by st.stephen
Hmmm sounds...uninteresting?
So it's basically just really fast picking? I don't listen to deathcore much

yerrrr
Quote by nnizzle
How about the pressure on teh pick? Hard, soft?

Depending on what types of strings you have....if u have strings that were made for bending such as Diaddario XL then soft but if u have a tough type of string made for heavier music HARD...

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
The main challenge in achieving the tremelo is eveness of time and attack. Practice slowly with a metronome and build up speed. Use alternate picking and make sure the upstrokes sound exactly the same as the downstrokes. Practice on every string.

Once you can execute the tremelo correctly at a reasonable tempo practicing moving from string to string and altering the dynamics.

Palm muting is a great expressive tool and essential in metal so incorporating it as well seems like a good idea.
Last edited by Ben Jammin at Jan 6, 2007,
whatever you do when you're trem picking, make sure to RELAX your wrist. if you get too caught up trying to get to a certain speed, and you wrist starts to tense up, you'll 1, have uneven picking, and 2, have slower picking. you have to start at medium speed and make sure you get your wrist movement in a very relaxed pattern before raising your speed. if you just try to AAAH pick as fast as you can, you wont have good trem picking.
also, trem picking isn't just for metal, it's very useful for all kinds of music, although it's usually used on the lighter strings in those types.