Who is your favorite movie director. I think Francis Ford Capolla and Stanly Kubrick are great. But my VERY FAVORITE would probably be Martin Scorsese. Who is your favorite?
i honestly thought the thread title was "favourite dictator" for a full minute...

hmm, well i quite like quentin tarantino
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

I thought this thread was Favourite Dictators! Sorry...
Mines Joseph Stalin

Anyway, James Cameron: King of Sci-Fi. And i dont really like Sci-Fi!
Ridley Scott and David Cronenberg
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
stanley kubrick is great..a clockwork orange<33

but ima have to give it too Alfonso Cuaron the director of Children of Men (good good movie) and harry Potter and the Prisoner of azkaban, this man has very good ideas and thinks outside the box.
Orson Welles, Charlie Chaplin, Elia Kazan, Stanley Kubrick, Francis Ford Coppola, Cecil B. Demille, Alfred Hitchcock, and Martin Scorsese are some of my favourites.
Edit: you're right. Can't write this list without Sergio Leone.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
lol @ all the mindless tarentino fans, he's ok but no god.

anyways. i prefer stanly kubrick, terry gilliam, and that spanish guy who did Pan's Labyrinth...his name escapes me.
spielburg
Quote by killbox2490
Once at chruch, I was at a group thing so I was laying down on the couch then all of a sudden some girl goes up to me starts rubbing my shoe ferociousely and goes " I want sex"......
Kurbrick, Tarrentino, Rodriguez, Gilliam, Speilberg, Scorsese and Tom Hanks are all the top of my list. Also Sergio Leone for making some of my favourite films of all time bacause it's hard to top a spaghetti western. All thses guys are amazing but the one director that is my favourite is the one that wins by relatability and that's Kevin Smith. I have so much in common with the guy and I love all his films. He's an amazing story teller (if you've seen his Q and A's you'll know what I mean) and I love writing dialogue as much as he does.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
My top 5 would be:
1. Robert Altman
2. Ingmar Bergman
2. Akira Kurosawa (I can't decide between which is better)
4. Federico Fellini
5. Francois Truffat

Honorable mentions go to: Coppola, Kubrick, Scorcese, Jean-Pierre Melville, David Cronenberg, Woody Allen, Sidney Lumet, and some others I'm completely blanking on right now.
most of my favourite have been said.

Coppola
Spielberg
Ridley Scott

i cant think of any others at the mo
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
In no order...

Leone
Scorcese
Shane Meadows
Takashi Miike
Coppola
Tarantino
Brian De Palma
Spielberg
Gus Van Sant
David Lynch
Kevin Smith
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by Brandon860
Kurbrick, Tarrentino, Rodriguez, Gilliam, Speilberg, Scorsese and Tom Hanks are all the top of my list. Also Sergio Leone for making some of my favourite films of all time bacause it's hard to top a spaghetti western. All thses guys are amazing but the one director that is my favourite is the one that wins by relatability and that's Kevin Smith. I have so much in common with the guy and I love all his films. He's an amazing story teller (if you've seen his Q and A's you'll know what I mean) and I love writing dialogue as much as he does.

Tom Hanks is a director? I know he directed That Thing You Do! but what else has he directed? Because I don't really consider actors that have directed one or two films to be true directors.

Also, I can't really say I care much for Spielberg. There's no denying that he's good with a camera, but his films are too commercial for my taste. They're good for entertainment, but once you're done watching them there is no real reason to watch them again. And I think what makes a great film director is the ability to direct films that at least hold up to, if not get better with, repeated viewings. I also consider Tarantino to be overrated. I like his films, but he's not the god many claim him to be.
Tarantino or F.F Coppola probably.

There are a ton of others, but they came to mind first, lol
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Gus Van Sant

IMO
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Quote by ohhey9040
Tom Hanks is a director? I know he directed That Thing You Do! but what else has he directed? Because I don't really consider actors that have directed one or two films to be true directors.

Also, I can't really say I care much for Spielberg. There's no denying that he's good with a camera, but his films are too commercial for my taste. They're good for entertainment, but once you're done watching them there is no real reason to watch them again. And I think what makes a great film director is the ability to direct films that at least hold up to, if not get better with, repeated viewings. I also consider Tarantino to be overrated. I like his films, but he's not the god many claim him to be.

I know Tom Hanks also did an episode of Band Of Brothers.

And I don't like a lot of Spielberg's stuff, but I put him because Duel was awesome.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Kevin Smith. Hands down.

All of his movies are amazing, they're consistently great (+/- Jersey Girl, your choice), and he's an overall amazing person.

Others, of course, like Kubrick, Apatow, Speilberg, Gilliam, Katsuhiro Otomo, Nolan, Wright, etc.

Smith is #1, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by stinger12345
Michael Bay ftw!!!!

Explosions ftw!!!
LARGE TEXT
This thread is old. Very old.

Kubrick and Coppola are my favourites.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by ohhey9040

People tend to write off Spielberg because he's too commercial or not "artsy" enough.

Sorry, but that Director has created so many classic cinematic moments that have had an effect on me and I can very well watch them over and over again.

I mean seriously...

Indy trilogy, Jaws, Jurassic Park - Some of the best entertainment films ever made, so many classic moments. I love re-watching these film.

Empire of The Sun - His undisputed masterpiece in my opinion, absolutely beautiful film.

E.T. - Seriously, if this didn't touch you....

I don't even need to go into Schindler's List.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Clint Eastwood (Mystic River, Letters From Iwo Jima, Unforgiven)

Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous, Say Anything, Jerry Maguire)

Clint is the "best," but I can't decide who my favorite is.
Can't stop the signal.