I've been "playing" my guitar for about 2 years now,(im self taught), But i dont know how to build a solo....let alone improvise one.....can anyone help me out or give me a start?
you need to know what key your chord progression is in and then if it's a bluesy progression stick with the pentanonic scale which you can learn from the internet,
if it's like a slow rock ballad go ahead and use the natural minor scale which is also on the internet. I would suggest learning some licks from your favorite guitar player first, or you can also hit notes in that scale in random order and see what you get. Hope this helps
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Its all about knowledge and theory. The more scales, you UNDERSTAND and know, The easier lead is. I would go ahead and learn all your major and minor scales, and in all of the different positions you can do them in. Just know that will vastly increase your improv skills. Theory is there to make you understand how all the chords, scales, etc... tie in together.

Once you know major and minor scales. when you hear a song, usually the first chord thats struck is the key of the song.

Lets take sweet home alabama for example. It is in the key of D major. So when doing lead to that song, you can use the D major scale, and every note will go with sweet home alabama. You can also use all the other notes, in there own scales.

When your playing a lead in major, You cant always play minor scales over a major chord prog. but if you slide 2 frets up from the starting note of the major scale, and play that minor scale it is called the "relative minor'.

And all of the notes in that will go along with the song too.

You cannot improvise correctly if you do not know your scales etc... or else you will end up sounding like Kurt cobain, even though im sure he knew some scales...
Quote by Chhalo2002
but if you slide 2 frets up from the starting note of the major scale, and play that minor scale it is called the "relative minor''.
You move 3 frets down.
When your playing a lead in major, You cant always play minor scales over a major chord prog. but if you slide 2 frets up from the starting note of the major scale, and play that minor scale it is called the "relative minor'.

If you try to play A minor over a C major progression, you will be playing C major. If you want to play the "relative minor" you need to build a chord progression off of the relative minor. The mode is determined by the backing chords.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Learn scales, learn theory, learn how to use it, then improvising becomes easy. Almost second nature.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
The best exercise you can undertake is to play along with recorded solos that you like. I know one can find tablature for everying in a second, but if you can pick out the solos by ear that's even better. Try to copy the nuances of the articulation as well. Try to really capture the feeling.

Also, start with the fundamentals. Blues is the root of many styles and much of it is simple enough for beginners to pick up.

This is the tried and true method. After a while you find yourself being able to come up with ideas on your own that emulate the styles you have copied.

Learning and practicing scales and arpeggios and so forth will certainly advance your cause, but in order to create music you must eventually learn to rely on your intuition more than you do theory.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Wow, slightly off topic, but thanks a hell of a lot for that link. Some nice tips in there.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
i didn't even click it but i'm assuming its the melodic control video which BGC loves so (its a good vid)
all i did was learned some scales, listened to my favorite players, learned how they do a few things, kept playing and playing until i knew what i was doing all the time and go all over the fret board.
Quote by z4twenny
i didn't even click it but i'm assuming its the melodic control video which BGC loves so (its a good vid)
No, it's a video from my cell phone. I was at this party and these two unbelievably hot chicks started hooking up. I filmed it and posted it on YouTube.

I wish...
Cant a person just keep self teaching themself without learning theory learning lots and lots of different songs all the time till theyv been playin years, and then just make solos up in their head and find it on the guitar? Coz thts all it really is, i make songs up in my head just now but ive only been playin for 2 years so i cant find the chords on my guitar that i have in my head... or play the solos i can hear in my head tht i make up. But eventually you would get to the point that you could make up somethin in your head, screw around on the guitar for 2 minutes and then youd probably have it. Just a few months ago I wouldnt have been able to learn bits of kinda complicated lead parts in songs just by ear, only non complicated parts, but now because I have more experience It just kinda comes to me. But obviously, like before, theres plenty of songs i could never learn by ear just now.... but down the line a year or whatever itll be easy for me. with NO theory
Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
but down the line a year or whatever itll be easy for me. with NO theory
Wow, is your arrogance induced by pure ignorance or simply apathy and laziness?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Wow, is your arrogance induced by pure ignorance or simply apathy and laziness?

Wtf are you talkin about? So I'm wrong? People cant just keep learning and learning lots of different songs (without any theory) and after a long period of time be able to learn by ear? Yeah ok, and thats how (like I explained dumbass) that a while ago I couldnt learn ANY songs by ear, and now there are SOME songs that I now can because I have more experience than then. And what Im saying is, that in a year or more, songs that I cant learn by ear now, I will be able to then. So, please explain why you THINK i'm wrong, instead of trying to think of a smart line to try make me look stupid, even though YOU didn't explain your reason for saying it. You're obviously immature and attempting to look intelligent.
Quote by Ben Jammin

Learning and practicing scales and arpeggios and so forth will certainly advance your cause, but in order to create music you must eventually learn to rely on your intuition more than you do theory.

See. This guy obviously knows his stuff, unlike nOoB bangoodcharlotte
hey guys if u really need to know theory and everything is there like an easier version thant he one on this website cos i read for like 20 mins and didnt get a single thing. and im learnin how to solo right now so i need to learn it.
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
and where can i find some killer scales and arpeggios to practice?
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by avatar ang
I've been "playing" my guitar for about 2 years now,(im self taught), But i dont know how to build a solo....let alone improvise one.....can anyone help me out or give me a start?

Well what have you been playing for the past 2 years?

A 'solo' is simply digging in and expressing your feelings, or at least a REAL solo.

You have to noodle around for a while and learn your way around the fretboard, but what you really have to do is not so much technical as it is spiritual.
Compare this argument of theory vs no theory to fighting. You can do situps and pushups all the time, spend two hours a day at a punching bag, pick fights in bars and clubs every night and after a while you'll be quite a solid fighter.

Or you can go to a high-class karate dojo or a Judo school or whatever, and with much less effort and time spent, you'll become a much more refined and skilled fighter than if you went with the example 1.

Your techniques will be different of course, and the perfect result would probably come from combining some aspects of both - but music is no different from any other skill out there really. You can rely on your 'heart' or you can actually seriously practice things and get an understanding on how and what works. Arts do require learning to become truly proficient, not just noodling; any arts, be it drawing, dancing, or music; even if you can become pretty good at it just by doing what 'feels good' to you for a long time.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!