Page 1 of 2
On my fretting hand, the muscle that is right between the thumb and index bones, the one where if you put your thumb and index finger together, it sticks up.
anyway, I was playing this song that is all barrechords, and I couldn't get through the song. It became harder and harder to push down and eventually I was forced to stop. Any suggestions?
Just keep playing them. Your muscle just isn't strong enough yet. It's going to hurt, but if you just keep practicing the song, soon enough you'll be able to play the whole thing without any pain at all. Don't worry, lots of people have problems with barre chords.
try doing some finger exercises, to make it stronger, and make sure you stretch before you play.
I just found it odd, since I've played for over 2 years, it's not like it's the first time I've played barre chords. But I guess I'll just keep playing.
It's completely normal, my friend.

Of course this muscle pain happens much more when first beginning, but it can still be expected much later in your playing career. For instance, I've been playing for about 5 years, all of those years including some type of classical guitar, and I still get a bit of hand pain when playing through Villa-Lobos' first etude, a piece that utilizes a respectable amount of barre chords.

Suggestion? Pretend like you're lifting weights and working out, because that's basically what you're doing. Give your hand and the muscles time to rest and recover, and then go back to it just as strong. Eat healthy, drink plenty of fluids, etc etc.
My God, it's full of stars!
^^^^ Confirming what the others have said, it is quite normal to suffer pain doing barre chords as you are using muscles that don't often get used.

^^^^ Again, as the others have said, do stretching exercises (the spider doing push-ups on a mirror one), and if it becomes severe, give your hands several days to heal before attempting them again, otherwise it will take a long time to recover.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Actually, suggesting him to keep playing is really not a good idea. My teacher just gave me a REALLY tough barre exercise, the one which makes your hand so tired halfway through that you'd rather be eating fishing hooks than finish the exercise. He said that tiredness is normal, but in case of pain I should stop IMMEDIATELY and rest for a day and THEN go on. Otherwise your hand will get very overloaded and recovering takes a *lot* of time.
So really, the key is to practice until your hands starts to hurt and then rest, for a day or so. Also, you might want to ask your teacher(or in case you don't have one, some expert friend) if you are doing the barre right. Maybe you're just pressing too hard, positioning your index finger wrong or something else.

Sorry for my somewhat crappy English, it's not my native language.
the other thing to do is make sure that you are not pressing too hard. only press hard enough to push the strings down. it might take a little practice to do it regularly. you only need enough force to make the strings touch the fret without buzzing. this goes for anything you play not just barre chords. it will leave you less tired and in the case for soloing you will be able to go faster and longer.
Quote by Motu
Actually, suggesting him to keep playing is really not a good idea. My teacher just gave me a REALLY tough barre exercise, the one which makes your hand so tired halfway through that you'd rather be eating fishing hooks than finish the exercise. He said that tiredness is normal, but in case of pain I should stop IMMEDIATELY and rest for a day and THEN go on. Otherwise your hand will get very overloaded and recovering takes a *lot* of time.
So really, the key is to practice until your hands starts to hurt and then rest, for a day or so. Also, you might want to ask your teacher(or in case you don't have one, some expert friend) if you are doing the barre right. Maybe you're just pressing too hard, positioning your index finger wrong or something else.

Sorry for my somewhat crappy English, it's not my native language.

Any chance you could post the exercise
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
the other thing to do is make sure that you are not pressing too hard. only press hard enough to push the strings down. it might take a little practice to do it regularly. you only need enough force to make the strings touch the fret without buzzing. this goes for anything you play not just barre chords. it will leave you less tired and in the case for soloing you will be able to go faster and longer.

I totally agree. Most guitarist waste a hell of a lot of energy by pressing down too hard. I'm not saying don't put energy into your performance, just don't waste any either. Another thing, check on your hand and wrist position - sometimes small changes can yield big results. Lost of guitarists position their guitars too low and place a rediculous amunt of strain on their hands. Also check the guage of string - the higher the more you need to work to get a clean barre.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Quote by Motu
Maybe you're just pressing too hard, positioning your index finger wrong or something else.

Yeah, the right position is important. I had a problem with 6 string barre minors like F#m (244222) because the G-string wouldn't ring at all no matter how hard I was pressing. It turned out my index finger was in the wrong place. All I needed to do was move it so that the tip of my index finger hangs over the fretboard almost to the first joint. Of course my hand still gets tired if I play alot of barres but minimizing the amount of pressure needed is a step forward, right?
Quote by bewley
Any chance you could post the exercise

Ok, I'll try. First, you put on F-Major:
Play this like EADG;ADGB;DGBe;ADGB. Note that these are strings, not notes. And play like Thumb, 1st, 2nd, 3rd finger.

Then put on D-Minor:
(usually you don't play this string, but it is necessary here)

And, as with F#, play EADG;ADGB;DGBe;ADGB
Then do that sequence again, but move up one fret and continue doing that sequence up to tenth fret and then back again to the 1st fret. I myself find the tenth fret extremely difficult, but practice makes perfect
While playing, make sure that all notes ring correctly, no muted sounds etc. are allowed.

Hope you get it, if you have any questions then just ask.
Last edited by Motu at Jan 9, 2007,
Suck it up and play through the pain, your muscles will soon develop and you'll be able to play barre chords as easy as 1.....2.....3.......
^No, you could do damage to your muscles.

I little discomfort is just where your muscles are being used in ways they haven’t done before, Do hand exercises and get a set up/lower your action will also help with fretting.

I really fu*ked up my thumb by pressing down way too hard in my first year, it's still recovering now... I believe I also had the pain you described, What I done was give it a few days to rest and recover than go on to do simple exercises to strengthen the muscles.

A good setup is also key to easy playability, I can barre chord anywhere on my fret board without any real pressure, feather light touch and it frets clear (and my string tension is decent and not floppy)
But yeah, just exercise in moderation, never over do something or you might damage your hand. Drink more fluids and eat a little more healthy and you'll see that you feel and play way much better and have a much clearer mind. A healthy diet isn't a necessity, but it will make you feel better and give you a better track of thought.

Over time you'll have a good hand strength ready for anything, just don't rush into it otherwise you'll never get anything except problems.

Hope that helps
I envy people who are good at bar chords. I played a lot of classical and blues stuff back when I was getting lessons, but I never did much stuff sliding bar shapes around. I still can't slide an A shape all that well. Basicly means that I can play Eric Clapton songs easier than I can play offspring because of the way I was taught. I'm only just learning to strum with a pick properly as well, I do everything with my nails lol.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
IA with chubbychunks. Playing a F major chord is harder than playing, say a Cm or a Gm. Any suggestions to get the chord to sound better?
Well, now... was that really necessary?

CAUTION: DO NOT FEED THE VAMPIRES
Why do y'all think you gotta go through the torture of fretting and hitting ALL *6* strings of the guitar when you do barred chords ?

A major chord is *3* notes, count ... *3* ... one ... two ... three
A minor chord is *3* notes.
A major seventh is *4* notes.
A minor seventh is *4* notes.

It's like a piano player sweating it out to make sure every single one of his 10 fingers hits it's own key to play just ONE friggin' chord.

The time you spend putting every finger at the right place before banging out a chord that will always sound the same, this other fellow has time to play a *dozen* voicings, combinations of 3 notes fretted in the same position as the barred chord.

Anybody heard of "Power chords" ?
^ You're sacrificing music for comfort, and that is just plain blasphemy...
Quote by Dreadnought
^ You're sacrificing music for comfort, and that is just plain blasphemy...

Sacrificing music ?
How would that be ?

When you play an open C maj chord in regular tuning:

x

unless you're walking a bass line, why would you want to hit the low E ?

Same goes for an open A:

x

how often are you gonna hit the low E if what you want is an A root ?

Open D:

x
x

At least 2 strings left out. What are you sacrificing ?
Why hit the low E and A if what you want is a D root ?
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were saying you should always stick to 3 and 4 note chords to save hand pain/energy.
ColdGin got me all confused.. You don't understand why we play barre chords with all 6 strings, when we could just use 3 or 4. What was that open chord thing? It didn't make sense, since you were talking about barres.. Why should we use powerchords instead of barres? Because they're easier to play?
Quote by ColdGin
Why do y'all think you gotta go through the torture of fretting and hitting ALL *6* strings of the guitar when you do barred chords ?

A major chord is *3* notes, count ... *3* ... one ... two ... three
A minor chord is *3* notes.
A major seventh is *4* notes.
A minor seventh is *4* notes.

It's like a piano player sweating it out to make sure every single one of his 10 fingers hits it's own key to play just ONE friggin' chord.

The time you spend putting every finger at the right place before banging out a chord that will always sound the same, this other fellow has time to play a *dozen* voicings, combinations of 3 notes fretted in the same position as the barred chord.

Anybody heard of "Power chords" ?

You, sir, are an idiot.

What colour is the sky on your planet? And drop the "Friggin" attitude, it isn't warranted..

Thats the whole reason for doing the 6th string barre chords, TO GET A FULLER SOUND BY HAVING ALL SIX STRINGS WORKING AT ONCE.

3 Stringed Power Chords are fine on an electric using chorus and other pedal effects, but it is a totally different story on an Acoustic guitar.

The 10 fingered piano analogy you have given is retarded, if you don't mind me saying. Love to see a classical pianist play "Minuet" in G, using only three notes.

EDIT

Chips, don't let him confuse you. Keep going the way you were.

3 string chords are OK when your learning, but you should strive to learn the 6th string Barre Chords. Because all 6 strings are being played, it gives you a beautiful rich tone, like an E chord for example, all 6th strings are played

The other good thing is that they are movable. Meaning you can learn and hold that one finger pattern, and move up and down the fretboard and get many different chords. F when hanging of the F note on the 6th string, and Bb (B flat) when hanging off the Bb on the 6th string etc

To clear up Power Chords, they are chords using the root and 5th steps of the major scale. Thats a fancy way of saying they are a 3 string 5th Chord, and very popular on Electric Guitars, and are used in Jazz as well. Which you will not need to worry about right now.

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

Last edited by DJaye at Jan 11, 2007,
Quote by DJaye
You, sir, are an idiot.

Try me.

What colour is the sky on your planet? And drop the "Friggin" attitude before I report you.

Who is this geek that introduces himself with "You are an idiot", and threathens to "report" people about "attitude" ? You're as stiff as that finger you use to do your barred chords. What are you, some kind of gee-tar Mullah ? They're 2 kind of duckwalkin steps out thar, but you can't do Chuck Berry's with a stiff finger up your butt.

Thats the whole reason for doing the 6th string barre chords, TO GET A FULLER SOUND BY HAVING ALL SIX STRINGS WORKING AT ONCE.

The 10 fingered piano analogy you have given is retarded.

Actually, it's your "fuller sound" theory that is retarded, even if you capitalize the name you give it.

So, you say playing 6 string chords is necessary because it's fuller. If that's so, then a 10 key piano chord is a lot fuller. That's 30 strings ringing all together at the same time. So it gotta be a lot "fuller" by your explanation. The thing is, we don't often hear pianists playing 10 key piano chords.

But I can understand you wanna play full 6 string barred chords. Ain't many other geetar players out there small enough to squeeze in the sonic room you leave them.
How about banging your geetar with sticks instead of a pick, you know, for a "fuller sound" ? Who needs a drummer ?

Chips, don't let him confuse you.

3 string chords are OK when your learning, but you should strive to learn the 6th string Barre Chords. Because all 6 strings are being played, it gives you a beautiful rich tone, like an E chord for example, all 6th strings are played

Actually, I have nothing against playing 6 string chords but against the idea that playing 6 string chords, and barred six string chords torture, is some kind of standard or level of proficiency.

The fact is "barred 6 string chords" are confusing for beginners, printing false ideas about chord theory in the beginner's mind, and reduces note combination options to those notes in a box delimited by an index clamped in a stiff barre and whatever your pinky is able to reach.

The other good thing is that they are moveable.

Any chord is moveable. Including open chords. That's why capos work.

To clear up Power Chords, ...
very popular on Electric Guitars,

Yeah, power chords come standard with many electric guitars.
Be careful though, their optional on acoustics.

and are used in Jazz as well.

Don't use Power chords in Reggae or the geetar Mullah will come an Getch-you !

Which you will not need to worry about right now.

That's if you intend to graduate out of the Busker Academy as "One-Man-Band" major.

Actually, if you intend playing in a band with more experienced musicians to suck practical knowledge from them (instead of noodling around with equal experience friends, not knowing where to start), chances are you'll be handed rythm guitar as your first duty. You'll sound a lot better playing tight clean power chords, locking up with drums, even slipping in a few inversions, than ramming 6 string barred chords trying to fuller the band's sound.
Quote by Chips-
ColdGin got me all confused.. You don't understand why we play barre chords with all 6 strings, when we could just use 3 or 4. What was that open chord thing? It didn't make sense, since you were talking about barres.. Why should we use powerchords instead of barres? Because they're easier to play?

Sorry, will come back to you later.
Right now, I'm off to the gig where my band is hosting Doc Fingers as special guest tonight.
Quote by ColdGin
Sorry, will come back to you later.
Right now, I'm off to the gig where my band is hosting Doc Fingers as special guest tonight.

Oh, that's so interesting.

Ok, so you're trying to say that power chords should be used on an acoustic guitar? Have you ever played, for example, Auld Lang Syne with power chords? Doesn't sound very nice. It's just that they don't fit everywhere. Besides, some chords need 6 string barre, so it is inevitable.

And that "stuff" about using all 10 fingers? If you play only 6 strings at once with 6 string barres, why should you play 10 on a piano? Also, guitar and piano are very different. Some things sound nice on a guitar, some don't.

And 6 strings played at once does sound much better than power chords. On acoustic, of course.
C'mon stop, the ain't the Pit. Do you guys find it hard playing a barred E:-
x

I can't get the 9's to sound perfect, my fingers don't have enough room. Any help?
Who would want to argue with a tool that recommends people venture no further than a 3 string chord?

Quote by chubbychunks
C'mon stop, the ain't the Pit. Do you guys find it hard playing a barred E:-
x

I can't get the 9's to sound perfect, my fingers don't have enough room. Any help?

yes, play it in the open position

Quote by Motu

Ok, so you're trying to say that power chords should be used on an acoustic guitar?

Power chords, that is two-note chords, (with eventually one of the notes doubled at the octave), where you leave some notes of a full chord out, have the merit of showing you how chords are built, the relation between the notes, and how you can combine different power chords of a same full chord through *time* to develop the voicing of the chord. Power chords are not restricted to a combination of the root and the fifth.

Ex: Money

|--
|--
|--
|--
|--2--2--2--3--4----2--2--2--2--2--4----2--2--2
|--0--0--3--4--5----3--0--3--0--3--5----3--3--3

The E is a "fifth" power chord.
The G, G# and A are "major third" power chords.

Also, strings don't need to be adjacent to form power chords i.e. here is a power chord that will work whenever a Gmaj is expected:

|--x
|--x
|--x
|--x

Have you ever played, for example, Auld Lang Syne with power chords? Doesn't sound very nice. It's just that they don't fit everywhere.

As a side note, Auld Lang Syne was written and arranged well before the "6-string" was invented. Eventually, you can imagine a guitar of that period with 5 strings in standard tuning A-D-G-B-E.

You are thinking of strumming the same power chord 4 times straight in a row as you are probably already strumming your 6 string barred chord.

I say you break down your full G chord in 4 or more power chords and play a different
power chord of the same full chord on each quarter note.

Here is a mp3 of a traditional arrangement of Scarborough Fair.

You'll notice how closer this version is to a traditional guitar arrangement of Auld Lang Syne

No 6 string barred chords here, but plenty of changing fingerpicked power chords.

Besides, some chords need 6 string barre, so it is inevitable.

You always have the excuse that some songs were written with 6 string barred chords in mind. Although, believe me, even Nirvana played very very few *6-string barred chords*.

And that "stuff" about using all 10 fingers? If you play only 6 strings at once with 6 string barres, why should you play 10 on a piano?

I brought up *6 string barred chords* because that's generally as many strings you have on gee-tar. Following the *6 string barred chord* logic, if you play a 7-string guitar, why limit yourself to *6 string barred chords* ? Hell, go all the way, make your sound fuller, and go through the torture of learning *7 string barred chords*.

If i took piano to compare, it's because you have more keys than fingers to hit them, so obviously, you're gonna have a problem hitting all those keys which all belong in a full Gmaj chord. So you're gonna have to limit yourself with what mother nature gave you, 10 fingers. Eventually, you could try hitting extra keys with your nose, your toes or whatever you can bring at the height of the keyboard.

And 6 strings played at once does sound much better than power chords. On acoustic, of course.

Matter of taste, which I won't make the mistake of judging but eventually does provide an answer to my original question. The next obvious logical step with this reasoning is then that *10 key chords on a piano* gotta sound a hell of a lot better than a *6 string barred chord*, considering the torture y'all gotta go through to make a *6 string barred chord* sound right.
Zzzzzzzz

Mr NewYorkYankee, All these suggestion are true. Sometimes you have to play throught curtain amount of pain and then take a break, Rome was not build in a day. But since you have been playing for 2years the problem might not be your muscle. I could be a number of things. For example: Your action on the guitar has change (i.e the string hight) or Your useing very heavy string that your not use to (you have buy the same sting gauge every time). The other thing that it might be is technuiqe, try getting a instructional video (there are two good one's on this site - just seach for "steal this video" in the column). A small mistake it might be!

Anyway keep rocking
To the other members of this forum, I just want to make this final closing comment on this issue, and leave it at that.

>>>=====> @ColdGin

WIKIPEDIA

Power chord

In rock, punk and metal music, a power chord is a bare fifth, or a similar chord, usually played on electric guitar with distortion.

. . . it remains, essentially, a part of rock guitar culture and is most strongly associated with the overdriven electric guitar styles of hard rock, heavy metal, punk rock, and similar genres.

The term "power chord" is used to refer to a perfect fifth (or its inversion, a perfect fourth), with or without octave doubling, in rock music, especially when played on electric guitar with distortion. The same interval is also found in traditional and classical music, played by instruments such as classical guitars, ukuleles, mandolins, harps and xylophones; but in that context, it is not usually called a power chord, but just a bare fifth.

It is sometimes notated 5, as in C5 (C power chord).

You will notice this backs up everything I have already said, but, I've only been playing for 20 years, what would I know, eh?

Power chords can be played on an Acoustic, just the same as they can be played on a piano. But To suggest to learners that acoustic guitarists should forget about learning 5th & 6th string Barre chords, and play 3 note 5th chords (power chords) is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.

An acoustic guitar doesn't have the ability to carry a power chord with the same degree of success that an electric guitar can. How boring would an acoustic song be, comprised of multiple 3 note chords.

My advice to you is, stop confusing the learners of this forum by preaching incorrect garbage. Instead, come back when you know what you are talking about, blow-in.

Last edited by DJaye at Jan 12, 2007,
Quote by DJaye
To the other members of this forum, I just want to make this final closing comment on this issue, and leave it at that.

>>>=====> @ColdGin

WIKIPEDIA

Power chord

Your problem is you can't think outside of your little boxes.

Had someone defined the gee-tar as a hollow box with catgut strings that makes some sound, gee-tar Mullahs like you would be torching whoever would dare call a "guitar" a slab of wood with a electro-magnetic pickup with steel strings that can't work without electricity.

Have you even read your wiki definition ?

In ..., usually ..., essentially ..., when ..., also..., but..., not usually..., but...
Talk about some absolute definition of the "power chord".

So until some one comes up with an expression to put at par all 2-note chords, fifths and thirds alike, it is my pleasure and liberty to call them "power chords", because any 2 note chord Malcolm Young plays, whether a fifth or a third major or a third minor, is "Power". Got that ?

You will notice this backs up everything I have already said, but, I've only been playing for 20 years, what would I know, eh?
Who would have thunk ? We only noticed your blowing until now.

But To suggest to learners that acoustic guitarists should forget about learning 5th & 6th string Barre chords, and play 3 note 5th chords (power chords) is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
Why box "acoustic guitarists" ? Geetars are geetars are geetars.
You really have a problem with boxes.

The idea for beginners to start playing using power chords is exactly the same as for them to use Triads , learning how notes in a chord are related one another relatively, rather than relating all notes to a root.
An acoustic guitar doesn't have the ability to carry a power chord with the same degree of success that an electric guitar can.
"Carry a power chord" ? ????, "Same degree of success" ???? WHOA WHOA

How do you "carry a power chord" ?

What's this thang about "power chords" and "degree of success" ?

It seems like you're banging your head against the sides of that little Wiki box that 's been refering to power chords as:

"in rock music, especially when played on electric guitar with distortion.

How boring would an acoustic song be, comprised of multiple 3 note chords.
If it's exciting being played on an electric, there's nothing that should stop you from playing it and making it interesting on an acoustic. And if the difference is electricity, well boy, slap a pickup on your acoustic or add a mic aimed at the 12th fret of the neck, and another aimed at the soundhole and go through the PA.

My advice to you is, stop confusing the learners of this forum by preaching incorrect garbage.
Put your advice at the tip of your stiff finger.
They are confused because this "6-string-barred chord" has grown a life of it's own, turning into some proficiency level or achievement following the Busker Academy theory that "the louder I play, the more people will hear me, and the more people will come over to pay me to stop."

Instead, come back when you know what you are talking about, blow-in.
I'll come back anytime I feel to blow the smoke little minds like yours like hiding in to make believe they sound bigger than what they really are.
Last edited by ColdGin at Jan 12, 2007,
This is fun, watching you vindicate the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about

What a retard, "Power Chords" on an acoustic.

EDIT

Why do make out you need to be a magician to play barre chords, my students nail em in about 8 - 12 weeks. It aint that difficult, its called "thinking outside the box" (not boxes btw)

WOW . . . . thanks for that!

No matter which way you wrap it, it is still boring, and still ridiculous. (as two other members have also pointed out)

The fact you suggest people NOT to learn 6 string barre chords, and only play 3 string chords says it all really.

EDIT

Its funny what pops up when you desperately enter "power chords acoustic guitar" into Google

10/10 for trying

Quote by DJaye
WOW . . . . thanks for that!

No matter which way you wrap it, it is still boring, and still ridiculous. (as two other members have also pointed out)

And you're still blowing.
Page 1 of 2