I'm trying to figure out what mp3 player to get, but it's tough.

I have ~29 gigs of music, but probably like 12 that I really listen to regularly.

I've heard the flash drives are good since they dont break as often and have longer battery life, but at the same time... 8 gb isnt a whole lot.

Video is not an issue at all. I dont plan on ever watching a video on the ipod.

Choices are:

Ipod 30 gb black

Creative zen 30 gb black

ipod 8gb nano black

microsoft zune 30 gb black

any others you can think of...

So pretty much I dont want to spend much more than 300 dollars...

What are you guys' experiences with these? What's important to me ( in order) is:

1) Reliability
2) Sound quality
3) good interface

thanks
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

I think Sansa is the best flash drive mp3 player (and cheaper)

Creative Zen is the best hard drive mp3 player

imo

EDIT: mines a 4 gig sansa and holds plenty of songs for me. i also have the evil dead and army of darkness on mine. along with like 20 pictures. around 300 songs... with room to spare.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Yea I'm really leaning towards the Zen atm, but I want to hear what other people have to say about it's usability and reliability. I havent actually gotten to use one to find out the sorts of things you find out from regular use for a week or so... (ie little annoying bugs or whatever)

I like the Zune a lot.. you can trade music among those who have them, and the interface is really easy to use. I would say if you have or use Itunes to get an ipod, otherwise go for the Zune. On the ipod, if you would primarily use it while running and stuff like that.. get the nano, if its just for general use, get the 30 gig one.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Quote by GiantRaven
Why do people need mp3 players so big? 512mb suits me just fine

Why are some people so ignorant? What suits you doesn't suit everyone.

I have a Sony NWA-3000 and I love it, doesn't have all the features of the ipod (games and junk) but it plays music and at a better quality.
http://www.lordpercy.com/sony_nwa3000_review.htm
There's a review for you.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Is that NWA only available in the UK? US amazon showed no results, I had to go to UK amazon.

Personally I prefer the Creative, the only problem with it, is that there are a lot more accessories such as docks for the iPod and I think the iPod looks better.....I also prefer the name iPod, not that that matters much
60 GB iPod.

You have about 30 now, and I doubt you're going to stop acquiring music, right? At least, with me, I like to have some extra room, because I know I'm going to keep getting new music and stuff. The iPod is also the only mp3/media player I know of with models greater than 30 GB.

The iPod and Creative Zen are pretty much identical though, except the Creative:
1) displays more colors (you say you won't watch video, so that won't be a problem I guess)
2) Has a voice recorder and radio (personally, this doesn't matter much to me, because I don't really have anything to be recording onto my mp3 player, and I'm carrying the thing around to listen to my music, so why would I want to listen to the radio? [which I don't really like anyway])
I think that's about it though.

I would definitely stay away from the Zune though.
I personally have the Sandisk Sansa e260 which is 4GB, but there is an 8GB model plus they have an expansion slot so you can add more memory. You can't play games on them at the moment, but Rockbox is creating an open-source firmware for the Sansa e200 series and you can play games on that. I've seen a few videos of the e200 series playing Doom.
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.
Quote by blynd_snyper
apple ipod

1)reliability - my friends ipod fell off a bridge, down one storey, hit train tracks, and still works 'nuff said.
2)sound quality - pretty good
3)interface - why are they the most used mp3 player?

Honestly I'm not much of a fan of the iPod interface. It's not terrible, but it's just weird at times. Telling your friend to switch songs on your iPod is like telling them to amputate their own foot.

I like iPods for simply how much space they have on them. 30Gb is more than I'd ever need, on my computer I have just under 5Gb, and I do listen to nearly all of it. Funny that I have that much and I never buy CDs... Odd.

I have a Memorex MP3 player, without a memory card, it holds only 494Mb of music. I'd like more space on it, but it really filters all of your awesome music into one place. Rarely do I ever skip a song on there, because I don't have the space to be putting lesser songs on it.

Your choice in MP3 players is like choosing a Guitar. If you can, try it out first, and see which one you like best.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
go and find an 80GB iPod Video, i believe they're around £260ish and they're available in black

plus you can brag that your iPod has an equivalent sized/bigger hard drive than most people's computers
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by Kylster
Honestly I'm not much of a fan of the iPod interface. It's not terrible, but it's just weird at times. Telling your friend to switch songs on your iPod is like telling them to amputate their own foot.

How's that? I'm just wondering, cause I always felt it was really easy