Page 1 of 2
OK. Since we all have different opinions regarding this I would like to know what people perceive as good music.

For example, would you rather listen to a crazy Yngwie song that is gonna blow your mind technically, or a David Gilmour Solo that is gonna grab you emotionally and make you think.
I for example like songs that are less complicated to play, like cool bluesy licks and good chord progressions
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
My favourite song ever is ridiculously simple

However, I love Dream Theater

Good simple/complex songs are good, bad ones are not

edit: And slower does not mean more emotion, I ****ing hate that
I tend to play a few songs that have just 1, 2, 3, 4 beat but I like to try more progressive stuff. I'm not really focusing on how fast i'm going.
It totally depends I think. Personally i love songs that relate to certain emotions, and songs like that can be either simple or complex, it doesn't mater, as long as it sounds good.
I personally like both, I think songs with more emotion are better, but those songs can be technical. I mean im sure musicians who are technical still put some emotion into what they play, just because they are doing some stuff the blows your mind doesnt mean they dont feel it.

If a song has emotion to it and is really felt, i dont care wether its fast or slow, simple or technical, hard or soft, its gonna be true.
GEAR:
67' Gibson ES-335(Cherry)
Oscar Schmidt Delta King
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
PEDALBOARD:
TC Electronic Polytune
Fulltone GT-500
Vox Wah
Ernie Ball volume
Sparkle Drive (clean boost)
Boss DD-20
Quote by EBGuitar
I personally like both, I think songs with more emotion are better, but those songs can be technical. I mean im sure musicians who are technical still put some emotion into what they play, just because they are doing some stuff the blows your mind doesnt mean they dont feel it.

If a song has emotion to it and is really felt, i dont care wether its fast or slow, simple or technical, hard or soft, its gonna be true.

Perfectly worded
Why does everyone seem to think complex songs always require shredding? I'm a shred fan, but I'm also a fan of non-shred.

Complex can be anything with a more advanced song structure.
At the moment I'm really into simple, blunt, to the point music like Brutal death and goregrind, so simple is really nice at the moment, but I can appreciate complex songs, I just need to be in the right mood for them.
My favorite band is simple, not Blink182/Green Day simple, but I mean, not Hendrix or Vai or anything.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
i prefer simple music. i like technical stuff too, but i think when it comes down to it, my favorite songs and bands are fairly simple in the scheme of things.
#DTWD
I PREFER more complex songs, but I can listen to just about anything.

From Opeth to Godsmack. Dream Theater to MCR (STFU). Necrophagist to Chumbawumba.

I can listen to it all (except disco and some choice bands.)
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I prefer simpler music. Old Love on the 24 Nights album by Clapton, for examle, blows me away.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

I prefer simple emotion evoking music. The Pass by Rush is probably one of their slowest songs with the simplest solo but it's almost the perfect structure of notes to my ears.
I like Satriani, because he does both. "Flying in a Blue Dream" is simple, but really full of emotion, whilst "The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" is incredibly fun and full of technical mind-blowing shit.

Fun stuff.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
It depends how you view complex. I don't like complex guitar solos and rhythms and the like, but I do like music with lots of layers which you don't necessarily notice on a first listen and also depth and change is a good thing to have aswell.
Space dye vest by Dream Theater is one of my favorite songs ever but they also have some mindblowing shit that I love like In the name of God. It really doesn't matter because like other people have said, anything can be complex, look at SRV!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
depends on the emotion they're trying to convey.

communication breakdown, nervous breakdown, and panic attack wouldnt make sense if they were played slower.

but neither would comfortably numb.
Quote by acoustic87
OK. Since we all have different opinions regarding this I would like to know what people perceive as good music.

For example, would you rather listen to a crazy Yngwie song that is gonna blow your mind technically, or a David Gilmour Solo that is gonna grab you emotionally and make you think.
I for example like songs that are less complicated to play, like cool bluesy licks and good chord progressions

A crazy Yngwie song that blows my mind technically & grabs me emotionally and makes me think.

Generally the stuff I like is complex, but I don't look for complexity in songs.
i don't judge music in terms of speed, complexity/simplicity, popularity, image, or anything bullshit like those.

if it sounds good, it's good.
Quote by fallenangel20
I PREFER more complex songs, but I can listen to just about anything.

From Opeth to Godsmack. Dream Theater to MCR (STFU). Necrophagist to Chumbawumba.

I can listen to it all (except disco and some choice bands.)

Do you mean like the 70's disco or 'disco!'?

As for me, i prefer both. It's all good.

~stepco
I like a mix of both, a good song is a good song, I don't think I've heard anyone say they don't like a song because it's "too complex" or "too simple" (actually, I have heard that, but only by elitists).

On the other hand, I much prefer writing complex music, I think music is a lot more rewarding to you if you spent a lot of energy doing it.
I don't mind whether a song is simple or complex, as long as it's fun.

I mean, look at one of the simplest songs in history, "Louie, Louie". It's tough to get any more simple, but it's fun.
Then I look at something like "Cowboys from Hell" by Pantera, by comparison, that's tons more complex. There's a lot of parts to that, and getting every instrument tight and together is tough, but it's still fun. (Fun in the 'run and smash some car windows' way.)
Quote by unplugtheradio
dont guess you're a phillip glass fan are you?

Music Box, Einstein on the Beach, the Poet Acts.....

Phillip Glass sure is pretty great
Quote by stepco12345
Do you mean like the 70's disco or 'disco!'?

As for me, i prefer both. It's all good.

~stepco

Dislike both 70s and P!atD.

So, both.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by DeSean

EOTB...yessssss
complex are the best because they have more to them, more character, and its not something you can just get into. Its like you have to devoter your self to the complicated song. Like third eye by tool took me FOREVER to get into because of its progressions and length, yet a simple song will fade on me quickly and will get boring because there is nothing to it.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
complex are the best because they have more to them, more character, and its not something you can just get into. Its like you have to devoter your self to the complicated song. Like third eye by tool took me FOREVER to get into because of its progressions and length, yet a simple song will fade on me quickly and will get boring because there is nothing to it.

if you cant get into it instantly, then why listen to it?

****. its not that cerebral.
Quote by DeSean

Is that kinda like Hitler in Spring Time?

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by altronataku
i don't judge music in terms of speed, complexity/simplicity, popularity, image, or anything bullshit like those.

if it sounds good, it's good.

QFT.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
well I love simple songs but sometime I love getting impressed by some of the craziest solos but I think there's impressive technics everywhere in music so I listen mostly to everything
if I didn't play guitar, I'd probably like simple way more, and even though I do, I prefer simple stuff just a lil bit more, but since I do, listening to shred gives me inspiration to play harder, fast, technical stuff
LISTEN TO MONSTER MAGNET
Quote by I_am_bored
but since I do, listening to shred gives me inspiration to play harder, fast, technical stuff

listen to jazz and classical stimulates your technical standards even more. rock style shred is flashy, but amature in comparison with jazz and classical.
I like songs that express something, or invoke feelngs in me. Doesn't matter how complicated or not they are. Two of my favorite songs are Little Wing (the srv version) and Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. Quite different when it comes to complexity, but they are both very powerful pieces of music.
Quote by altronataku
listen to jazz and classical stimulates your technical standards even more. rock style shred is flashy, but amature in comparison with jazz and classical.

I've for sure come to realize that, hence playing in the jazz band, plus my guitar teacher pretty much just strictly plays jazz, it's just good to be able to a little bit of everything you know?
LISTEN TO MONSTER MAGNET
Page 1 of 2