okay, so i have about 400$ saved up from christmas, plus 100dollars best buy gift card gives me about 500$. i was going to buy a wii but changed my mind. my birthday is also in 2 weeks, so i will have about 600-700 dollars. i know alot about computers as in using them. i can operate them just fine..but when it comes to processors, graphic cards, rams, and all of that stuff, i have no idea what im doing. im not looking for a super computer, but i definatly want a good one that wont freeze up on me when running a few applications (by few i mean AIM, IE, Itunes, limewire) at the same time. and also some games like world of warcraft. just basic stuff but at the same time i do know alot about operating computers so tie in downloads. ill be using windows vista. my friend who knows a little bit of this stuff told me that an ADM athlon processor would be a good one. i was looking at this computer http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999965700050006&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050050&id=pcmprd65800050006
would that be a good computer for what im looking for?

basicly..
can someone explain to me the different parts of a computer
vital information while purchasing a computer
good things to look for while purchasing a computer
reccomend a good computer for my pricerange of 600-700$
Main things you want to look at when buying a PC is;
Processor speed, memory, graphics memory and speed and Hard drive capacity. And anything else you might want like DVD burners etc.

EDIT: Vista isn't out yet.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Main things you want to look at when buying a PC is;
Processor speed, memory, graphics memory and speed and Hard drive capacity. And anything else you might want like DVD burners etc.

EDIT: Vista isn't out yet.

it will be out by the time i get my computer..it comes out jan 30th if im not mistaken
You know a lot about computers but you don't know anything about processors, ram(s..?), and "all that stuff"?

Nice.

They're going to be releasing Quad-core technology soon, but that will pretty much be useless for a long time since most applications must be specifically designed to use each core. But it's your call.

For video card, if you don't use the PC for gaming it really doesn't matter, stick with stock.

RAM, I suggest getting 2 GB or more. 2 GB is usually the standard these days.

For processor speed, 2.8 Ghz (dual-core) will do.
Quote by Lgndkllr777

Maximum memory 2gb lol, my PCs maximum memory is 8gb.
If you're going to be playing WoW, then the only amout of Ram you'll need is 512 mb's, more is better, but if you get anything less than 512 it'll lag like crazy.
Quote by Archaon
You know a lot about computers but you don't know anything about processors, ram(s..?), and "all that stuff"?

Nice.

They're going to be releasing Quad-core technology soon, but that will pretty much be useless for a long time since most applications must be specifically designed to use each core. But it's your call.

For video card, if you don't use the PC for gaming it really doesn't matter, stick with stock.

the computer i was looking at (hp pavilion a1600n only has 2Ghz processor speed and 1GB ram..i guess i should look elsewhere
also, i forgot to say, im going to need a computer capable of working with a wireless router...the place i intend on putting it doesnt have a cable plugin..so the ability to get internet from a router is a must
Quote by Archaon

Nice.

Whoa mate. Quad core? He doesn't need that much speed honestly. I think just the Core 2 Duo is sufficient. Threadstart, that ensures all your applications run smoothly alongside each other without freezing of slowing down. If I were you, I'd get an Acer Aspire L310-ED630M - Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz. It's $849.99.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
17 inch E177FP Analog Flat Panel
FREE Upgrade to 1GB 533MHz Memory from 512MB- $60 Value
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Essentials
No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
No Floppy Drive Included
No Modem Requested
Accessories
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Optical USB Mouse
Protection
1 Year Next Business Day Onsite/In Home Service and Tech Support
Norton Internet Security™ 2006, 90 day trial
Also Includes
No Digital Music Software Requested
Corel Photo Album™ 6 Starter Edition - Organize and Edit your photos
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0Compatibility Alert
Recalculating Price

All of that for $799CDN

Your Performance Parts:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
FREE Upgrade to 1GB 533MHz Memory from 512MB
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

thats the best you will get for $799CDN

EDIT: If you are planning on playing WoW, you'll want atleast 1 GB or more for Ram, and a good processor, playing on 512mb like that one guy said is almost impossible when you are in big groups or in main cities. Also, if you want the website for that this setup, http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=OCDIMC521_RBP_EN
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by nine01n
the computer i was looking at (hp pavilion a1600n only has 2Ghz processor speed and 1GB ram..i guess i should look elsewhere

No it's a dual core. Which means it has 2 2Ghz processors. And AMD processors are faster than Intel.
Some people say multiply by 1.5 so a 2ghz amd processor is actually as fast as a 3ghz intel processor.
The computer you chose is alright in my opinion, but I myself have decided I'm not going to buy a computer from a company that makes them cause they're all overpriced. If you can figure out how to put one together, you could buy all the parts and make it yourself for half the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well actually, 2ghz is decent if you're only planning on running light applications. Just as long as gaming is out of the question you wont require much.
I'd stay away from Intel Pentiums and Celerons CPUs - The AMDs in that range (Athlon 64 and X2 Dual Core) are better. The Intel Core 2 Duos are the best but its high end stuff so could be over the top for you.

2 GBs of RAM is nice but you would probably be fine with 1 GB unless you are playing BF2 or something.

If you are only playing stuff like WoW you don't need that good of a graphics card but you could try to get something better than intergrated graphics.
ram: 1gig ddr atleast, anything lower than that is kid shit, but try to go to 2 gigs

harddrive: uhhh depending on what youre looking for and how much music and movies you download a good 100 gigs should do

graphics: its not important if u dont play games on your computer, but a good bluestar card, or radeon should do, even a cheap one, this will also make your computer faster.

processor: 2.8 gig should do fine, seeing as how a large processor and little ram would be a bad combination, try to balance each other out. processors are also very expensive, so look for a good buy, 2.4's and 2.8's might be on special
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Quote by Archaon
Well actually, 2ghz is decent if you're only planning on running light applications. Just as long as gaming is out of the question you wont require much.

yeah, im not really a gamer at all. i may play a few games. but i have an xbox 360..PC gaming isnt really my thing. only game i could think of would be world of warcraft, maybe one or two others but nothing to extreme. maybe counterstrike. gaming isnt the main focus of this computer. its mainly just so i can have my own uncluttered workspace for music, internet, and IM.
Since i'm here, I would also like some advice and suggestions. I'm buying a high end laptop. I considered three laptops: Toshiba Tecra M5390, HP Compaq NC6400 and the Sony SZ3XWP. However, I think i'm going for the Sony brand. Anyone want to enlighten me on any other high-end laptops that have TFTs between 13.3"-15"? They must be Core 2 Duo and have at least 80GB (prefably 100 though). I'm looking for at least 2GB of RAM. I'm looking for more of a sturdy laptop to assist me with Law School (law reporting, research, wifi capability, fast etc). I do not play games. I'm looking for a price between £1200 and £1700

EDIT: It must be a Windows PC. I prefer not to use Bootcamp on Apple OS.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Jan 6, 2007,
it also comes loaded with 1 GB of RAM (which can be bumped up to 4 GB), an integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150 video/graphics card with up to 256 MB of shared video RAM

^^okay..thats some info on the computer i was thinking about. how much do you think it would cost to upgrade to 4GB of ram? is that really even necissary?
Quote by nine01n
it will be out by the time i get my computer..it comes out jan 30th if im not mistaken

30th November 2006 in the UK. January is the month where computers will all be automated with Vista. Lest, I think that's right.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by nine01n
it also comes loaded with 1 GB of RAM (which can be bumped up to 4 GB), an integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150 video/graphics card with up to 256 MB of shared video RAM

^^okay..thats some info on the computer i was thinking about. how much do you think it would cost to upgrade to 4GB of ram? is that really even necissary?

4GB is insane. It would cost you a lot of money and I doubt you'd do enough stuff to require that amount. Even 1GB could be more than you need if you just surf the web/use IM and go on the occasional older game.

That 256MB shared video RAM sounds like it would eat into your RAM, so I think you should get a proper graphics card.
Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
Since i'm here, I would also like some advice and suggestions. I'm buying a high end laptop. I considered three laptops: Toshiba Tecra M5390, HP Compaq NC6400 and the Sony SZ3XWP. However, I think i'm going for the Sony brand. Anyone want to enlighten me on any other high-end laptops that have TFTs between 13.3"-15"? They must be Core 2 Duo and have at least 80GB (prefably 100 though). I'm looking for at least 2GB of RAM. I'm looking for more of a sturdy laptop to assist me with Law School (law reporting, research, wifi capability, fast etc). I do not play games. I'm looking for a price between £1200 and £1700

oh lord please get a macbook. or a macbook pro. you'd probably be good with a macbook too. a white one with a 2ghz core 2 duo, 120gb hard drive and and 2gb of ram, wifi a/b/g, dual layer dvd burner (including RW) comes in at £1,099. however, since you're a student, you'll get a hefty discount (14% i seem to remember... i cant quite remember though, and im not back at uni til tomorrow so i cant get onto the higher ed store...).

its perfect for what you need.

of course, you could get a macbook pro, but unless you need the graphics card, are desperate for firewire 800 rather than 400, really want a metal shell or have a massive obsession with light sensitive backlit keyboards, the macbook is a much better buy.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
oh lord please get a macbook. or a macbook pro. you'd probably be good with a macbook too. a white one with a 2ghz core 2 duo, 120gb hard drive and and 2gb of ram, wifi a/b/g, dual layer dvd burner (including RW) comes in at £1,099. however, since you're a student, you'll get a hefty discount (14% i seem to remember... i cant quite remember though, and im not at uni so i cant get onto the higher ed store...).

its perfect for what you need.

of course, you could get a macbook pro, but unless you need the graphics card, are desperate for firewire 800 rather than 400, really want a metal shell or have a massive obsession with light sensitive backlit keyboards, the macbook is a much better buy.

As much as I considered it, I was drawn away from it because Mac doesn't support as many applications as Windows does. I'm also not keen on running Bootcamp on Mac OS considering its status is still, "beta" and thus still not compliable with even some of the basic Windows applications. I do agree though, it does look inviting and I'll be frank, I've never seen a better looking laptop. The Asus Lam. didn't even match that quality look (and plus it has major heating issues that causes the laptop to breakdown).

Thanks for suggesting though - I was "this" close to getting it yesterday. Are there any other models you can recommend?

EDIT: Would you look at this sexy car...

^ The red is removable. I love the Asus Lamboroghini...sp...too bad for shitting cooling systems that break the laptop in half. Otherwise I would get it.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
As much as I considered it, I was drawn away from it because Mac doesn't support as many applications as Windows does. I'm also not keen on running Bootcamp on Mac OS considering its status is still, "beta" and thus still not compliable with even some of the basic Windows applications. I do agree though, it does look inviting and I'll be frank, I've never seen a better looking laptop. The Asus Lam. didn't even match that quality look (and plus it has major heating issues that causes the laptop to breakdown).

Thanks for suggesting though - I was "this" close to getting it yesterday. Are there any other models you can recommend?

EDIT: Would you look at this sexy car...

^ The red is removable. I love the Asus Lamboroghini...sp...too bad for shitting cooling systems that break the laptop in half. Otherwise I would get it.

although boot camp is still beta, its worth pointing out that OSX10.5 is coming out in the next three months or so, and boot camp will be an integrated part of that. so not beta at all. it must be said though, im not aware of any issues with boot camp and compatability. once you've booted up windows on your macbook, you're running windows. its not going through any kind of emulation at all. its just windows.

more than that though, id query what windows applications you need if you dont plan on playing games... outside of games, there arent really many issues as far as the range of mac software. if you want to do something, therell be a program to do it on the mac. if there are freeware or open source programs to do it on windows, there probably will be on mac too.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
although boot camp is still beta, its worth pointing out that OSX10.5 is coming out in the next three months or so, and boot camp will be an integrated part of that. so not beta at all. it must be said though, im not aware of any issues with boot camp and compatability. once you've booted up windows on your macbook, you're running windows. its not going through any kind of emulation at all. its just windows.

more than that though, id query what windows applications you need if you dont plan on playing games... outside of games, there arent really many issues as far as the range of mac software. if you want to do something, therell be a program to do it on the mac. if there are freeware or open source programs to do it on windows, there probably will be on mac too.

Well, I wanted to be on the safe side you see. Being Windows and all, i'm bound to have more choice in applications. However, since you pointed that OSX10.5 will be coming out that increases the liklihood of me getting a Mac. That's great then. I might actually get it now. However, the installation of Bootcamp seems like a hassel - I'm told it costs £65 for Bootcamp and I have no idea how complicated it is to set. I'm told installing Bootcamp splits your hard drive into two - and there can also be problems with configuration.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
Well, I wanted to be on the safe side you see. Being Windows and all, i'm bound to have more choice in applications. However, since you pointed that OSX10.5 will be coming out that increases the liklihood of me getting a Mac. That's great then. I might actually get it now. However, the installation of Bootcamp seems like a hassel - I'm told it costs £65 for Bootcamp and I have no idea how complicated it is to set. I'm told installing Bootcamp splits your hard drive into two - and there can also be problems with configuration.

nope, bootcamp is to be included as part of 10.5. no extra cost. i think you're thinking of parallels; thats similar to bootcamp, but whereas bootcamp requires you to restart, starting the computer up in either windows or OSX, parallels lets you run windows within OSX. its supposed to be pretty good, although obviously the performance is somewhat effected, as you're effectively running two OSes together... ive not tried it myself...

with bootcamp, yes, you have to partition your hard drive, so that theres a seperate partition for XP to start up from... i dont think its a massive problem though, or so im told...
Quote by sadistic_monkey
You're an idiot.

That was pretty abrupt.

EDIT: ^ Thanks for the information. You've been a great help. I'll PM you if I do decide to get it. So, I assume you have an Mac too? Why the dislike of Windows?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Just get an "OK" computer, then upgrade it.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
For pre-built stuff people have listed decent enough computers however you could build your own and get the equivalent cheaper. but it also depends on what you want to use the computer for, games, desktop publishing, etc

EDIT:
Quote by andrew12398
Just get an "OK" computer, then upgrade it.

nah, in the long run you're better off getting the best you can afford at the time. it is still a good idea to future proof your computer though so that it can be upgraded though
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jan 6, 2007,
Quote by Diamond Dave
For pre-built stuff people have listed decent enough computers however you could build your own and get the equivalent cheaper. but it also depends on what you want to use the computer for, games, desktop publishing, etc

+1

Dell for the win with customisation. I was tempted to get the Dell D620 (customised to my specification) but thought I would rather prefer a Sony. Dell computers are made to be a bargain.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee

That was pretty abrupt.

EDIT: ^ Thanks for the information. You've been a great help. I'll PM you if I do decide to get it. So, I assume you have an Mac too? Why the dislike of Windows?

i do indeed. i got sick of computers steadily dying. i just found there was an unpleasant inevitablity to using a windows machine... whatever you do, they just seem to steadily move towards a horrible crunch where they just perform horribily... its not very good at taking care of itself. people say that you can avoid that if you do x and y, but you shouldnt HAVE to do x and y. i dont ask much of my computers. i shouldnt have to spend time doing a million and one different things just because the thing is incapable of keeping itself running properly.

i know its a cliche, but OSX doesnt crash often. i think its maybe had a crash once in the 4 months or so ive had it. sometimes programs do freeze up and you have to force quit them, but its not a problem on the scale it is in windows for two reasons. firstly, if a program crashes, its easy to force quit it. on xp, id often find myself having to restart the machine. secondly, i generally know why a program has crashed. if i ask itunes to rip a scratched cd it crashes sometimes. if i go on some myspace profiles with safari it crashes. because theres some horrific html. programs dont seem to crash without reason, which is something that happens too often in xp in my opinion.

as much as anything else though, its just a much nicer system. its more intuitive, its well designed, with little features that dont seem like much but are so useful; press f9 and it shows all your open windows so you can select the one you need easily. it doesnt sound much, but i use it so much. i think theres a lot of flaws in xps design... its often very counterintuitive and there are some really stupid pieces of design in it, eg the obsession with making windows full screen. in OSX, if you click the equivalent button, it makes the window big enough for its purpose, so you can still see your other windows if you need to. it sounds like such a little thing, but its only when you use it you realise how good it is.

finally, macs are good value. if we're going to do them justice, you cant compare them to things like dells. theyre well built machines. even the macbook, which is supposedly the consumer model, is very professional. its well built, incredibly well designed (little things like the magnets that hold it shut instead of conventional clip things and the magsafe power cable still make me smile when i use them, because theyre so simple but do make life better) and it never looks or feels likely to break. you have to compare them to other high spec, high quality laptops, and when you do, for their spec, i think theyre pretty competitively priced.
dude, dont get HP, if you have enough money, then get a mac, best comps ever. If you cant afford a mac, then settle for a dell or somthin..........................MACS FTW!!!
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3