Poll: Should I be allowed to buy guitars and amps when I have saved for the money?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I be allowed to buy guitars and amps when I have saved for the money?
Yes.
27 96%
No.
1 4%
Voters: 28.
This is a question primarily to professional and/or teaching guitar players.

My parents said they need "professional input" as to whether or not I should get a new guitar. They seem to think that all guitars are the same and are like machines rather than collectible items used for making music. That being said, I currently have an acoustic, electric, and an amp. I've been playing for roughly three years. I have been saving for a new guitar (don't tell me it's my money and I can use it where I want to, I've told them that before) to use for different sounds and different feels.

My question to you is: Do you think I should be allowed to buy new guitars and amps when I have saved for it (this is umpiring and birthday money, no allowance)?

A poll will be up, however I prefer you to also provide an opinion as I am going to print this out.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Yes. Your money is to spend as you would. ...But you already know that. The quality of a guitar is (generally speaking) directly proportional to the price of the guitar. A higher quality guitar will open whole new doors to you that were previously closed.

If you want to pursue music professionally or as a serious hobby, then you need the professional grade equipment to do so. Steve Vai doesn't use a $250 Ibanez GRG, now does does he? Pat Metheny doesn't use a $300 Ibanez Artcore.

Seriously though, your parents shouldn't have a say in the realm of your music. I can safely assume they are not musicans, and they obviously don't support your musical endevours, or at least not to the level that they should be. For this, I am truly sorry for you.

I hope that's helped some.

EDIT: From a parenting point of view, this is another way of letting you grow up. If you were 25 years old, you would need to ask a professional as to whether or not you should get a new guitar. You would just buy the guitar when you so choose to.

And I'm a..kind of professional guitarist. I do session work for a recording studio—I also record with several groups on my own; I also give lessons.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Last edited by ChurchNSkate at Jan 6, 2007,
The moment a person begins to study a musical instrument, that instrument becomes a part of their education and of their life.
If your parents aren't convinced of the importance of music then they should consider asking psycologist and educational advisors as to the bennefits and even importance of a good musical/artistic education.
Creativity appart I think if a person is working, and planning things in the area of economics and buisness simply to be able to extend their goals than it is also a valuable life experience. In purchasing a new guitar you are evaluating the value of a purchase and at the same time feeling the true extent of your efforts in attaining that currency.
With 3 years of experience you should know enough about guitars to be able to decide whether or not you need a new one, or more importantly a different one. Guitars are all very different and it is completely unreasonable to assume one is enough, even if it is a good one, as time passes you require more variety of resources as a player and performer.
To sum up, tell your parents, that I all the way here in Portugal (Europe) am saying, yes you should be allowed to get new guitar equipment (and any artistic material in my opinion) especially if your paying for it.
Well we're all going to tell you if it's your money then you should be able to use it how you please.

But I guess the question is do you actually need a new guitar or amp, or do you want one just for the sake of having something new? There are plenty of good reasons to buy a new guitar, they all sound different play different, and work better for different styles or just higher quality than what you currently have. Plus it can be nice to have an extra if you want to start experimenting with alternate tunings.

Same goes for a new amp, although I imagine you'd want to trade your old amp in. Not too many reasons to own more than one amp. If you just wanted new sounds then you'd be better off buying effect pedals. If you're completely unhappy with the sound your amp produces then a new amp would be something to think about.

And I have 5 guitars, and they all have their specific purposes. So they're definitely not all alike.

Be sure to take special care to point out your lovely sig to your parents when you print this thread out, they'll be very impressed with your maturity
Awesome intellectual replies. Kudos to both of you

EDIT: yeah I just noticed by sig. I ended up printing out each reply individually
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Last edited by westo at Jan 6, 2007,
Although Im not a pro, I think that your parents shouldnt have a say in what you use your money on. Maybe you should let them try your guitar, then try the guitar that you are thinking about, so they could feel the difference in quality. Even if they arent musicians, they would be able to tell if like the action was higher or the neck feels better. Also, how much money do you have saved up, and what are you thinking about getting? What guitar and amp do you have now? If its not a huge upgrade in price and quality, maybe you should wait until you have more to spend.
Last edited by thetoastinator at Jan 6, 2007,
Well,it depends on what kind of music you like.
What kind of music do you like?..
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Ah yes. How old are you? If you're under 14, then I can understand what they're talking about. Although, from your sig, I'm assuming you're under 18..ah the maturity

Speak eloquently, intelligently, professionally, intellectually and respectfully. I should think they'll come around.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Yes, i buy all my equipments. My parents didnt even chip in money to buy me a pick.

What you should look for a guitar is the wood, build quality, type of bridge and comfortability (neck, etcs), that is the most main thing you should look out for. Pickups and hardwares can be upgraded later on.

If you're young, you still have a long way to go coz you need to settle in your most likeable genre. Then only you start hunting for guitars and amps that suits your preference and tone.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic