So, I was wondering, which is better, a humbucker or three single-coil pickups, one with reverse polarity?
Neither one is better, they sound very different. Its all just personal preference.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
I thought that those guitars which don't have humbuckers create that weird humming noise.

So if I want to play rock and similar styles humbucker is better?
you could tie a mouse to your guitar and force it to squeak different pitches, and then for added volume you could mic it.

smile
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Cocnut Rag
you could tie a mouse to your guitar and force it to squeak different pitches, and then for added volume you could mic it.

smile

Done that, didn't work very well.

Fat Strats cost a lot. Looks like i'll have to work a lot this summer. Or just buy a cheaper guitar. Or try out Cocnut Rag-s idea with a whole bunch of mice.
dude wat music styles do you play ? and wat is the humbucker's nd single coiled type ??
Quote by Motu
I thought that those guitars which don't have humbuckers create that weird humming noise.

So if I want to play rock and similar styles humbucker is better?

A very general rule is that single coils are better for cleans; humbuckers for distortion.

You shouldn't let that influence your choice, though.
If I may offer a word of advice.

I've just started playing guitar again, as of like two months ago. I'm playing about two hours a night, and I'm starting to get my technique back after a few years not playing. So, I thinks, it's time I got myself a decent electric and amp.

I've spend the last few weeks in guitar shops playing EVERYTHING in nearby music stores, through as many different amps as possible, ranging from playing $3,000 telecasters through practice combos, to plugging the Hello Kitty strat into a JCM2000 and full stack.

Do the same. Internet forums can guide you in the right direction, but there's no substitute for playing 30 guitars a day till you find the one you want. Remember that the guitar just provides the initial signal, and that it's the amp that actually makes the sound. Budget accordingly.

I played the entire range across several guitar shops to decide I wanted an American Standard tele and a Fender hotrod. That's just the sound I want, you'll probably want something completely different. Play everything on the market, even if it's some obscure amp or guitar you've never heard of, it might be just waiting for you to love it's sound and have it inspire your first EP.
^ nice post.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personally prefer playing rock and blues, mainly.

So the key to the perfect guitar is experimentation thx, I'll do that. But doesn't it feel weird just to go to the shops, play every guitar in there and then just leave?

Punk_Ninja, i presume you live in US or England? 2000$ might not be that much to you, but here in Estonia(Yes, yes, that tiny little ex-soviet country that no one knows about) we don't have a very high standard of living. Actually we have quite low standard of living so price is a problem to me.
I completely disagree with mr_hankey because there are humbuckers there that have cleans so good it will make you piss your pants. lol just messing but a guy in my dad's band has a Gibson Les Paul Standard and he changed the pups in it to well I dont know exactly to which but they are humbuckers and man do the cleans sound soo nice. Then again it could be his amp which is a Mesa Boogie Lone Star lol But what I'm trying to say is that Hmbuckers can produce great cleans. Humbuckers usually have a warmer fatter sound while single coils have a brighter twangyish sound. But if you are looking for versitility go for an HSS
Motu, I'd try looking into a hollow/semi hollowbody guitar. My style tends to lean towards a bluesier angle, and my semi-hollowbody with humbuckers works great for it. I get some nice clean tones for playing jazz as well as some beastly overdrive for those harder rock songs.

However, this is just me, and its all a matter of preference.

Strats are also nice for blues, but I just like the fatter sound the beefier output I get from my Schecter.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Motu
So the key to the perfect guitar is experimentation thx, I'll do that. But doesn't it feel weird just to go to the shops, play every guitar in there and then just leave?

well, yeah, but try to try stuff that's similar too so they don't just think you're in there for a laugh. I mean, don't go in with a $2000 budget and try every guitar, those at $50 up to those at $10,000.

Sure, try a few a bit cheaper just to make sure you're getting extra quality for your hard-earned cash.

Also, try similar styles of guitars. Don't try, say, an Ibanez, followed by a hollowbody, followed by a Les Paul, followed by a strat (unless you tell the salesperson you play a little of everything and are trying to decide the style of guitar you want next).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah it might seem a bit weird to be playing everything in the store, then just wandering off, but a good guitar shop knows that if they let you come in and jam, they'll get most of your business, and you will eventually buy SOMETHING.

The shop I do most of my browsing in was my mother's source for student sheet music for most of her 30 year career as a piano teacher, I got my first guitar there when I was 10, our last amp came from them, not to mention two generations of microphones, guitar strings, violin strings, cello rosin, cello strings, audio leads, straps, gig bags and fistfuls of picks. Occasionally someone actually buys an instrument as well.

You get the idea. The shops that provide a good place for musicians to hang out benefit from it, and they know it. If they're smart, they don't mind you coming in and playing at all.
Quote by guitar-lover34
I completely disagree with mr_hankey because there are humbuckers there that have cleans so good it will make you piss your pants. lol just messing but a guy in my dad's band has a Gibson Les Paul Standard and he changed the pups in it to well I dont know exactly to which but they are humbuckers and man do the cleans sound soo nice. Then again it could be his amp which is a Mesa Boogie Lone Star lol But what I'm trying to say is that Hmbuckers can produce great cleans. Humbuckers usually have a warmer fatter sound while single coils have a brighter twangyish sound. But if you are looking for versitility go for an HSS

Well, yeah, that's why I said it's a very general rule.

You can't deny though that most people will prefer humbuckers when playing medium/high gain, and singlecoils for cleans and low gain.

Sure, it's done the other way around too, but it's not as common,
yep thats true^^ the shop i go to is really relaxed. If you want to try any of the guitars they'll get it down an then give it to ya an then they'll then have a convo with you about how ur bands goin, any techniques ur strugglin with or even wot u did on the weekend. It's a really relaxed place. If you can find a place like that then they usually wont be bothered about you tryin out every guitar in the place
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Yeah it might seem a bit weird to be playing everything in the store, then just wandering off, but a good guitar shop knows that if they let you come in and jam, they'll get most of your business, and you will eventually buy SOMETHING.

The shop I do most of my browsing in was my mother's source for student sheet music for most of her 30 year career as a piano teacher, I got my first guitar there when I was 10, our last amp came from them, not to mention two generations of microphones, guitar strings, violin strings, cello rosin, cello strings, audio leads, straps, gig bags and fistfuls of picks. Occasionally someone actually buys an instrument as well.

You get the idea. The shops that provide a good place for musicians to hang out benefit from it, and they know it. If they're smart, they don't mind you coming in and playing at all.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I know at least one shop round here that doesn't seem to like you trying anything at all. Or like, they'll give it to you for a cursory 5 minutes, and then be "have you finished?"

Ah well, their loss. I refuse to buy from them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?