I'm planning on building a booster clone, really simple, what wattage do i usually use for building stompboxes? 1/2 watt, or will 1/4 be fine. Also, I can't find an 830k resistor on smallbear, only 820k. is there any srot of combination I can use to achieve 830k?
Last edited by Charso at Jan 6, 2007,
I think you can put the 820k with a 10k resistor in parallel you can achieve 830k, but I'm not to sure about that.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
You can use either 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt for pedals, 1/4 is usually preferred as they are smaller.

And you would put the resistors in series to get the required resistance.
Just use an 820K, that will work fine.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yeah, 820K is close enough. Most resistors aren't exact anyway, I think it's usually with 5%. Resistors in series add. Resistors in parallel are a little different. The sums of the inverses of the resistor values is equal to the inverse of the total resistance. In equation form:

1/R(total)=1/R1+1/R2+.......

If you only have two resistors in parallel, the easiest way to find their combined resistance is using the formula:

R(total)=R1*R2/(R1+R2)

Electrical Engineering 101 in a nutshell (almost).
MG Free At Last
oh darn, see, where was my head? I've been thinking about speakers for the last two weeks or so, and I forgot that they're just resistors... silly me, I was thinking capacitors or something.

hmm, so 1/4 watt is just fine, right?
Yes. I like 1/8 watts too, as they're tiny.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Also, the effect I'm building requires a log pot, are there any other names for these? I see reverse, audio taper etc, no log pots.
a general rule with electrical componants is that if the value used is within 10% of the value stated, its fine. also audio taper is what you want

"You're a MESS!"